Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
I registered a few of those spam calls via the on line site for the FCC. I have wondered if anything is being done, or the calls logged are just ignored. I still get marketing calls, but they seem to be fewer, also.

I now answer and talk in broken English...with an Indian or Pakistani accent. If it's a woman on the other end, I always ask if she is married...since I need another wife to take back to Pakistan and cook. I also like the way the word Bombayyyy swirls off the tongue in broken English. It then goes south from there...does she have a sister or a friend, what does she look like, how old is she, etc.

If it's a man, I talk about the weather and what the weather is like where he is. After a few sentences in broken English...I finally get to asking if he has a sister or single female friend...

I usually get hung up on in a little over a minute. But, sometimes I can keep them on for as much as 3 minutes. It really can be fun!

"I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it." Ashleigh Brilliant
Redbugdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I registered a few of those spam calls via the on line site for the FCC. I have wondered if anything is being done, or the calls logged are just ignored. ...

Look thru that 800notes site, you will see comments of people filing complaints all over the place, and yet the calls keep coming. You can actually find press releases of actions taken. They are few and far between, and a wrist-slap is all they get. Pretty sure they shrug it off, start up the calls again, and rip off more people. There is apparently a huge ROI, and a few $10,000 fines (some were waived!) ain't gonna stop 'em.

There was an article, (don;t have time to find a link now), that said there was something like 32,000 complaints filed against a single number. The FCC (FTC?) did NOTHING, until a Congressman got a call during a meeting. Then he pulled some strings...

They've got top men working on it..... top men.

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm pretty sure Rachel is actually the widow of an assassinated former treasury official in Nigeria, and she is reaching out for someone to help her make a completely legal transfer of funds. Why is everyone being so tough on her?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have voice mail and caller i.d., on my landline but I don't use the phone for talking like most people (very hearing impaired & have landline for emergencies). I had caller I.d./voice mail set up thinking that the relay operators could call my voice mail and read me my msgs. That worked fine for awhile then the junk and political calls started clogging up my voice mail. It took forever for the relay operators to go thru all the junk before getting to important msgs.

I found another way to use the relay, using email, so for the last several months my voice mailbox has been full and I'm leaving it that way. I can see the phone number of who is calling...mostly junk...and they can't leave a voice mail since voice mailbox is full. Really has cut down on my phone ringing.

happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote