Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a Chicago boy, prefer that style. I do love those modern things on crust with various ingredients, no cheese(!) Just don't call them pizza , just saying.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Don't mean to be snobby, but the national brand pizzas are horrible, IMO.
Nothing to worry about. The national brands are just OK because that is what they want to be so they can sell them to more people.

I bet a national brand invented that atrocity called Hawaiian pizza - pineapple and Canadian bacon. Was somebody drunk when they thought that up?

Old 07-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I enjoy a good pizza but am limited in what I get as it has to be gluten-free. That is not an option, I get seriously sick if I eat a slice of bread and still feel lousy the next day.

They're getting better. Initially the crust was like cardboard but there are now some good ones out there. Fortunately, one is local, but unfortunately not local enough to deliver. That's probably a good thing. But I was so happy to have found the place since I hadn't had a pizza in 20+ years.

I'll order the extra cheese, pepperoni, bacon, ham, beef, and probably any other meats they have and green peppers and onions.

However, under no circumstances will I eat one with anchovies on it. Yuck.
I gotta thatta celiaca too. No pizza for me. I was nuts about Southern New England pizza, like New Haven or Bridgeport or Providence.

I prefer not to try lesser versions, or especially gluten free pizza. Kind of like gin and tonic, hold the gin

Ha
Old 07-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #24

I can eat pretty much any pizza, as long as in addition to whatever other ingredients are present, there are also jalapenos & anchovies!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #25

Here on Long Island we have a pizza joint every few blocks, it seems , so I can walk 5 minutes to get to 3 different places. Two are good but one is not. One of the good places, Vincent's, has good Sicilian so I get a slice of that sometimes.

Pizza Hut is okay but not my favorite. Back in the 1980s I ate Chicago Style pizza for the first time, in Chicago. It was quite good. But the best Chicago Style pizza I ate was in San Diego, a place called......"Chicago Brothers" of all things!

I don't like things added to my pizza but I do like to sprinkle oregano on it.

I sometimes make pizza bagels. Anyone like those?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I was nuts about Southern New England pizza, like New Haven or Bridgeport or Providence.

Ha
Yeah, that's my favorite stuff. But in TX it's hard to find, and I have not found it after 20 years of looking here.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #27

One of the best pizzas I ever ate was cooked in a brick oven in Aviano, Italy. It was nothing like the "pizzas" we are used to in the states. Or at least in my experience. Of course, I've never eaten pizza in NY or Chicago.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I was nuts about Southern New England pizza, like New Haven or Bridgeport or Providence.

Ha
+1 New Haven is best pizza on earth
Old 07-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I like the classic NYC pizza best. It has to be too hot to hold or eat when it gets put on the table. It has to be runny and gooey, and oily, and steaming. Yep, the bend in the middle is OK too. Pepperoni is the preferred topping, but ham topping is OK too. Crust should be thin and crispy and partly blackened. And it has to be from an independently owned pizzeria. Don't mean to be snobby, but the national brand pizzas are horrible, IMO.
When I lived and/or worked in NYC, I ate lots of pizza. Famous Rays ofn 6th Avenue in the Village was the best back then and still good into the 1990s and early 2000s. But when I was there in late 2012 for the first time in 4 or 5 years (it had changed hands in that time) I was very disappointed at its ordinariness. Now Caruso's near the World Trade Center area is so gooey I have to use a knife and fork because the crust can't support the weight.

Worst pizza - Sbarros. It's not really edible. Also bad is Domino's which is sauce and cheese on cardboard. Pizza Hut and the other national brands and chains are okay at best but I don't seek them out any more.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I bet a national brand invented that atrocity called Hawaiian pizza - pineapple and Canadian bacon. Was somebody drunk when they thought that up?
Actually no, it was invented in 1962 by a Greek-Canadian restauranteur in Chatham, Ontario. He was apparently quite sober at the time.

Canadian invented the Hawaiian pizza | Canada | News | Toronto Sun
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Since I grew up in NYC, I'm obviously an expert on "proper" pizza, so thin crust is the answer.

But although that style is my default, I also love the thick crust pizzas that DW prefers, and many others. I've even had great pizza in Rio de Janeiro, so I have to assume that it's the pizza maker that makes the difference, not the location.

But since I got my Big Green Egg a few years ago, I've learned that it's really not that hard to make your own pizza at home that is perfectly to your liking.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I LOVE pizza. More cheese the better. I like any and all meat toppings, nothing else. I eat Tombstone Brickstyle pizza nearly every single night. I'll occasionally splurge and get a Meat Lover's from Pizza Hut but can't afford delivery very often. Pizza is one food I can eat every single day and never get tired of it. Some days i'll even have two of them. For the record, I have a 21.2 BMI and have great labs and vitals. Pizza must not be as bad for you as some people claim.
There's no way you're a day over 29. At least that's the last time I could eat like that. Lucky you!

For the record, we prefer "home made," meaning we buy the powdered crust mix where you add water and bake it (Martha White brand), Contadina pizza sauce in a can (YUMMMMM) and then our toppings. I think our favorite is spicy Italian sausage, thick cut pepperoni, green peppers, onions, light mozzarella and then fresh mushrooms on half to make DS happy. Oooohhh baby that's good.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
There's no way you're a day over 29. At least that's the last time I could eat like that. Lucky you!
I'll be 35 in August. I finally noticed my metabolism slowing down at around the time I turned 33 but I can still eat nearly 3000 calories a day and gain very little weight even with a rather non-active lifestyle.

I think i'm going to go pre-heat my oven now.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I realize most people have never tried real Pizza and in Chiraq they do not know about a real hot dog either. Respect to all who answered "New Haven", and my disappointment with scrabbler who mentioned "Ray's" in NYC. Living on long Island he might have mentioned "Umberto's" in Mineola or "Little Vincent's" in Huntington or Lake Ronkokoma but Pizza in NYC must include "Lombardi's" in the Village and any NY'er (worth his salt)has ridden the "cyclone" and then taken his date here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg totonnos.jpg (60.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
One of the best pizzas I ever ate was cooked in a brick oven in Aviano, Italy. It was nothing like the "pizzas" we are used to in the states. Or at least in my experience. Of course, I've never eaten pizza in NY or Chicago.
The best pizza we ever ate was in Florence, Italy. "Quatro Staggione" -four seasons: 1/4 each artichoke hearts, mushrooms, prosciutto, and black olives. Uber thin crispy crust. And there they eat their pizzas with knife and fork.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

My family visited family in Italy a few years back, and my son came back raving about the potato pizza they made in the village they were visiting. My wife tried making it when they came home, and it was way better than it sounds! Me, I need thin bubbly burnt crust, cheese not gooey, 'roni, green pepper, onion, and garlic. And you know, I've had pineapple on a pizza: also better than it sounds.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
American pizza is not the same as Italian pizza.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Really? No one has mentioned the most awesome pizza of all? Refrigerator pizza, served between cool and cold on day two. I fantasize that it is kinda like a shooter's sandwich.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

doing a round of the top 5 pizza places of NYC is on my bucket list.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
And there they eat their pizzas with knife and fork.
Is there another way? That's how I eat my pizza too.

I like my thin-crust pizza baked in a wood-fired brick oven if possible. But I'll eat any pizza that looks good. Since moving to San Francisco, I have discovered sourdough pizza. Pretty good but not my favorite. I make homemade pizza pretty often. Last week, I used tomato sauce topped with pancetta, arugula, and goat cheese. Simple but tasty.