Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

OK, I'm drooling on my keyboard, and it's messy. I adore pizza - any thickness will do and lots of cheese and rich sauce, please. Living in the middle of nowhere with mostly national chains, I tend to make my own. I'll occasionally do a Papa John's or Marco's if I'm lazy. I miss Papa Murphy's. Some of the best pizza I've eaten has been in Chicago and New England. Malnati's makes a great thin crust too. Pepperoni, mushrooms, black and green olives are the standards, but banana peppers and jalapenos are also welcome. Max's in Paducah Kentucky makes a mean wood-fired pizza, and I adore Erbelli's sauce (Kalamazoo, MI).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Papa Murphy's
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Papa Murphy's

I keep seeing Papa Murphy's mentioned and I known nothing of the chain. What's the hot thing about them vs all the other chains?

I also think they opened one near us now.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

Papa Murph's is a "take and bake" place - they don't bake the pizzas for you. Since they don't have a "kitchen" or pizza ovens, the store overhead is lower, and they can pass on the savings to the consumer. The pizzas are made on a special baking sheet to make the crust better in a standard home oven.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
What temperature do you get your Big Green Egg to?
Anywhere in the 600 - 700°F range. It's not really necessary to go that high; you can do perfectly fine pizzas at 425°F but I feel I get the best results up there.

Note: If you haven't already fried your gasket, these temps will do it for you. Then you can replace it with a Nomex gasket and quit worrying about it.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing View Post
Papa Murph's is a "take and bake" place - they don't bake the pizzas for you. Since they don't have a "kitchen" or pizza ovens, the store overhead is lower, and they can pass on the savings to the consumer. The pizzas are made on a special baking sheet to make the crust better in a standard home oven.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Hawaiian pizza is one of my favorites, along with hamburger and mushrooms. To each their own. I don't really care for pepperonis.

If you're ever in Nebraska, try Valentino's. It's not quite like it was 30 years ago but still very good. For national chains, I really like Papa John's. Mellow Mushroom is another good chain, mostly in the southeast I think but expanding. But I agree with whoever said they make you thirsty. I'm afraid to check the salt content in those pizzas. That's one reason to make your own, to keep it healthier. Most of us can't each pizza like Aaron!

Want the best pizza? Spend the day in some really cold weather, then you could put ketchup on cardboard and it'll be the best ever. Twice I've had pizza after being out in -50+ wind chill for hours (once my car got stuck in snow and broke down, the other time was skiing) and the pizza I had (one in a restaurant, one homemade) was incredible. My ex- generally made good pizza but that time after skiing was either exceptionally good or we were very receptive to it.
Mmm... Valentinos. Grandma used to take me to one in Fremont, NE when I was a kid. That was about 30 years ago. She always said it wasn't as good once they moved their location to downtown Fremont.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Aldi - Mamma Cozzi's -9" -Party Classics - 14 min @400degrees -Choice of Pepperoni or Combination - $.99
Old 07-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
I used to go 35 years ago, so no idea if they're even still there.
Ledo is alive and doing quite well, with stores even here.

I too went to the College Park location once in a while. It wasn't local to me but we passed it on the way to visit some relatives and often stopped.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I made a 'white pizza' on the grill tonight. Trader Joe's dough, lots of garlic infused olive oil - cook the dough on the grill a bit, then add goat cheese and fresh mozzarella, cooked shrimp and asparagus, spinach and basil, sprinkle with Parmesan. That was good.
-ERD50
Last night I used Trader Joe's whole wheat dough for the first time (they just opened up a store close enough to buy refrigerated items) and did a similar approach although I'm not brave enough yet to try the grill so used the oven. Brushed the crust with olive oil and fresh pressed garlic, added some grated italian cheese, and topped it with thin sliced yellow tomatoes, halved artichoke hearts, leftover grilled peppers and eggplant, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. Yummy!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
One of the best pizzas I ever ate was cooked in a brick oven in Aviano, Italy. It was nothing like the "pizzas" we are used to in the states. Or at least in my experience. Of course, I've never eaten pizza in NY or Chicago.
That reminded me of some great tasting brick oven Pizzas we had in Cancun this January... of course checking the weather back home and feeling the nearly 100 degree temperature difference made everything so much better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cancun Pizza.jpg (118.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Shakespeare's Pizza, Columbia, MO. #1 Pizza after the Today Show toured the country looking for the best. (They also raised their prices after becoming famous.)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Shakespeare's Pizza, Columbia, MO. #1 Pizza after the Today Show toured the country looking for the best. (They also raised their prices after becoming famous.)
My wife went to school in Columbia and she ALWAYS mentions Shakespeare's Pizza. I guess next time I am back there with her I will check it out...if I can convince myself to not go for bbq while I am there.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post

Tis an ill pizza cook, that cannot lick his own fingers.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I am a Chicago guy and I much prefer thin crust (sausage, mrooms and onions, well done). Some of the best places were in the city (southside), carry -out back in the day.

That being said, I won't turn down deep dish.
+1. I've gone full circle. I used to be a deep dish guy. DW only likes thin crust. So I've switched to thin and like the crust a little crunchy with sausage, mushrooms, onions and green pepper.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of the small, indy chains in Chicagoland make a good pizza. I prefer thin crust, even though deep dish is the thing here.

I don't care for the limp NY style pizza especially if the Italian sausage is crumbled. That should earn a penalty flag! It needs to be healthy sized chunks.

There was a good pizza in the Bay Area, when we lived there. I think it was called Pacifica Pizza in Vallejo or Benicia.

Kansas City had the worst pizza of anywhere I've tried. Yuck!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not impressed with any of the large chain pizza restaurants/take out in my town. The best contender is Costco and the price certainly is good for such a large pizza at $10. However, reheating it the next day doesn't bring it back to life. I don't find their take home that you bake yourself to be as good. The crust and the sauce are what I mainly look for to judge a good pizza.

The best pizza I ever ate was in State College, Pa but that was over 50 years ago so maybe the memory is a little fuzzy. Unfortunately they are too far from Fl. and I doubt they are still in business anyway.

I haven't tried Papa Murphy's but I think they opened a couple of place here about a year ago so I might bring one home. Other than that I have made pizza at home with some success. The dough is the part that I'm still working on to get just right.

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
Most of the small, indy chains in Chicagoland make a good pizza. I prefer thin crust, even though deep dish is the thing here.
When I was little we lived about a block from the original Father & Son pizzeria on Diversey Ave., so they were our go-to place. They've grown to several locations around the North Side -- I still love that thin crust.

A regional chain that has grown quickly is Rosati's. Started in the Chicago area and has now extended into several Southern and Western states. Gotta say, the pizza is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
Kansas City had the worst pizza of anywhere I've tried. Yuck!
I'm an old Mizzou grad, and was similarly cool to Shakespeare's in Columbia. Toppings were generous but the seasoning reminded me of Pizza Hut.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Not impressed with any of the large chain pizza restaurants/take out in my town. The best contender is Costco and the price certainly is good for such a large pizza at $10. However, reheating it the next day doesn't bring it back to life. I don't find their take home that you bake yourself to be as good. The crust and the sauce are what I mainly look for to judge a good pizza.

The best pizza I ever ate was in State College, Pa but that was over 50 years ago so maybe the memory is a little fuzzy. Unfortunately they are too far from Fl. and I doubt they are still in business anyway.

I haven't tried Papa Murphy's but I think they opened a couple of place here about a year ago so I might bring one home. Other than that I have made pizza at home with some success. The dough is the part that I'm still working on to get just right.

Cheers!
Try reheating in a frying pan - better for the crust. or cold...
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
When I was little we lived about a block from the original Father & Son pizzeria on Diversey Ave., so they were our go-to place. They've grown to several locations around the North Side -- I still love that thin crust.

A regional chain that has grown quickly is Rosati's. Started in the Chicago area and has now extended into several Southern and Western states. Gotta say, the pizza is pretty good.

I'm an old Mizzou grad, and was similarly cool to Shakespeare's in Columbia. Toppings were generous but the seasoning reminded me of Pizza Hut.
+1 on Father & Son
Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Any thing out of brick oven.

Last year we ate at Jasper Pizza; kids still remembered them. Locally, we have many favorite places.