Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh, and I switched to a slow-burn fuse after an episode that went something like this -

Ring..... ring.........

Me - Hello,.....hello,........hellooooo,?....... HELLO!,..........

I could hear someone breathing, I knew there was a person on the line.

Finally, I let loose with the usual #**##!!!... etc...... making sure to cover most any contingency. Most any.....

Pause...... then a feeble voice cracked .... Bjorn?
It was my 95yo grandmother.... Oops,... no problem, she continued as if nothing happened. I am more careful now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just set my phone to only allow calls from people on my contacts list. If someone else calls they can still leave a message.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Our home phone is gone for good. Wow, peace and quiet.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

For almost two weeks now, I've been getting 2 calls per day (not 1, not 3, always 2) on my cell phone from caller ID "Unavailable" -- no number provided.

For the first several days of this onslaught, I wouldn't answer, I'd just let it ring and my voicemail would pick it up. I wanted to make sure it wasn't someone calling for some legitimate purpose -- legitimate to me, anyways.

(For some time now, my voicemail greeting has been simply "I either can't answer the phone right now, or, I don't recognize your number. So please leave me a message." I got a snarky response to that from a telemarketer once )

Mr. or Ms. Unavailable never left a message, what a surprise.

Now that I'm pretty confident that I have no use for either Mr. or Ms. Unavailable, I have all calls ID'd as "Unavailable" automatically rejected without ringing. The calls log on my phone still shows poor U's attempts to reach me, twice a day, every day.

I wonder how long it'll take before Unavailable gives up the ghost.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
.., I have all calls ID'd as "Unavailable" automatically rejected without ringing. The calls log on my phone still shows poor U's attempts to reach me, twice a day, every day...
Oh, now I understand what's been going on.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
Scammer: So do you have any PCs running Microsoft Windows?
Me: No. But I suppose I must if you are calling me...
Scammer: (Finally cluing in) Why would you waste my time like this?
Me: To prevent you from harming people during the time we have been talking. And I will happily waste your time whenever you or your cronies purporting to be from Microsoft Technical Support call.
Scammer: (Swear words)...hangs up.

You're welcome.
That's hilarious .
Old 08-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
As much fun as that is, I'll just say this works:

https://www.amazon.com/Tel-Sentry-Au.../dp/B00U1PPWDO

People that want to talk to you, the very first time they call, do need to call once, then call back. But I've had no problem with family, doctors' offices, mechanics, etc. They listen to the automated message (I have it configured so my phone doesn't ring), hang-up, call back, and my phone rings. The next time they call, my phone rings right-off...no muss, no fuss.

PS: Don't pinch pennies on the 1.0 version. Get the 2 or (I suppose) the 2.2. Mine is a 2 and it's great.
How does it handle the 'robo calls' that you want? Like reminders of a dental appointment, etc?

It's true though, a 'black list' doesn't work anymore. The scammers have been rotating fake caller ID #'s, often pulling names & numbers from your local area (maybe the # they just called?), so tools like NOMOROBO are no longer effective.

-ERD50
Old 08-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Help is on the way, this just in from Reuters -

AT&T, Apple, Google to work on 'robocall' crackdown | Reuters
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Anyone want to start a pool on how many hours it will take the scammers to find a new way around whatever rules get put in place?
Well, if they can really lock down caller-ID spoofing, they may be onto something. But I am skeptical as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Our home phone is gone for good. Wow, peace and quiet.
Don't expect that to last for long. Why should a spammer care if they are calling a cell or landline? I've been getting a few spam calls on my cell phone.

-ERD50
Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I get several spam calls a day on my cell phone but the "Mr Number" app catches 95% of them on the first ring and sends them to voice mail.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #30

The "IRS" never did follow up with me on my serious delinquent tax issue. But now I have a new problem: yesterday, "Kevin Mason" left me a voicemail that I am now in trouble with "The US Treasury."
Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
How does it handle the 'robo calls' that you want? Like reminders of a dental appointment, etc?

It's true though, a 'black list' doesn't work anymore. The scammers have been rotating fake caller ID #'s, often pulling names & numbers from your local area (maybe the # they just called?), so tools like NOMOROBO are no longer effective.

-ERD50
On the Sentry call blocker, if you know the number of the 'robo call', then as long as that number is on the 'whitelist' then the number goes right thru. In fact, I just had a dental robocall a couple days ago.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #32

I got a call from the Windows Technical Department. I really yelled at them for the aggressive install tactics of Windows 10 and told them they owed me a new computer. They stayed on the line for quite some time as they tried to tell me that they weren't responsible for that but that they were the "Windows Technical Dept" for real.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Don't expect that to last for long. Why should a spammer care if they are calling a cell or landline? I've been getting a few spam calls on my cell phone.

-ERD50
As with REWahoo, Mr. Number is my friend.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:10 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, if they can really lock down caller-ID spoofing, they may be onto something. But I am skeptical as well.

-ERD50
I expect that a lot of the callers don't even know if they are calling a landline or number but probably just dial randomly hoping for a sucker to fall for their line.

For my landline, before owning that Sentry call blocker, I'd get about 10 calls a day, some repeats. Now, sometimes go an entire day without a call (there is still one ring then hang up so I know when they try).

For my Android mobile, I have an app that as long as my phone is on (which I leave on all the time -- except when driving) any call not on my contact list automatically gets hung up on as I don't care to have to check my voicemail only to have a scammer message.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:24 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just tell the Microsoft scammers that I run a Linux.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #36

Just the other day, I received the same robocall from "Bridget of Card Holder Services" 10 minutes apart on both my cell phone and my landline! Those people need to be put out of business for violating the toothless do-not-call law. How can this be a decent business model, calling and annoying the same people over and over and over who have absolutely no use for this so-called "service?" I have gotten 2 or 3 calls a week from these people for the last 5 years! And now they are starting to invade my cell phone even though I have given that number out to maybe 10 people.

I don't see the phone companies doing anything about it because they make money off these robocallers dialing and redialing thousands of calls every day.

To the OP, hilarious story about beating the scammers at their own game. But I have no real desire to stay on the line with them other than to yell at them and let them know I know they are scammers.

My cell phone has caller-ID but often when I look up the phone number it displays it gives me some individual (not a business) who lives halfway across the country so it is probably just a spoofed number and not really worth the wasted effort to report them as a do-not-call violator.

It's just maddening how my phones are little more than receptacles for this endless stream of garbage. I'd say 95% of the calls and texts on my cell phone are junk and 70% of them are garbage on my landline. It has come to the point when my phone rings and it is NOT a scammer or spammer I am genuinely surprised!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

When a telemarketer calls, I have my wife answer the phone. She tells the caller to speak to her husband, me, if they don't ask for someone like the head of the house or something like that. I take the call and when I discover it's a sales call, I start yelling at my wife so the caller can here. I get loud. I get violent. She cries. She screams. I say I'm going to get a knife and cut her. She screams more. I keep at it and she stops screaming. I then hang up the phone.

We don't always do this, but enough times it's gotta scare the crap out of some of these callers and we have a good laugh after.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #38

After you murder your wife while they are listening in, do they at least put you on the do not call back list?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
After you murder your wife while they are listening in, do they at least put you on the do not call back list?
I don't know. So many calls now use a fake call-ID, I can't tell if the same place calls me back or not.

The funniest part of the ruse is when I fake slap the wife, striking my hands together and making a loud SMACK!!. Then she knocks over the counter stool. For good measure, this excites the dog and he starts barking and growling. Thinks it's a game.

I've got another that I use when it's just me. When they call, I pick up the phone, and quickly interrupt them, speaking in a hoarse whisper and fast so they can't get in a word edge-wise;
"Dude! You shouldn't call here! I did it! There's blood everywhere! I can't find where she hid it though and I've looked everywhere. Oh man, I need to get out of here NOW!" Then I hang up.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe something will finally get done -

Apple and Google join 'strike force' to crack down on robocalls | The Verge

Apple and Google parent company Alphabet have joined a coalition of more than 30 tech companies and telecoms focused on combating automated phone calls, according to Reuters. Called the "Robocall Strike Force," the group is led by the Federal Communications Commission, which held its first hearing on the subject today in Washington, DC. Robocalls include both prerecorded messages from misleading phone numbers and automated text messages.