Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2015, 11:34 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My daily wear is a pair of black shorts (I have 5 identical pairs) a sports bra and a tank top with flip flops with black soles and either silver or gold rubber/plastic straps . I also own 3 identical pairs of black crops and about 10 nice blouses left from my working days for less casual events (but I still wear the flip flops). If I really want to "dress up" I wear my black pumps and trade the sports bra for a real bra. I love having a half empty closet!

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
In these challenging economic times, I have been known to counsel a young person to "Wear out your own jeans" in order to save more money....
When we were out, I pointed out to DW that my faded to very light blue jeans with a few pencil size worn out spots on it might fetch a good price on ebay.
I feel proud that originally they were the dark blue jeans only 20 years ago.

She wants me to throw them out....

Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
While not interested in the latest styles, I prefer to dress neatly even if just going for coffee. I will never leave the house looking like a slob, shirt tail hanging out, ragged clothes etc. I truly dislike slobs.

In summer shorts and flip flops I do wear, my T shirt is always tucked in and not torn or splattered with last week oil change. And the gig line is alway properly set. If you never been in the service look that one up

Did I mention I dislike slobs?

It fascinates me no end that women will pay a fortune for ragged sliced jeans. Or wear skin tight camel toe enhancing paste ons, then whine that they are treated as sex objects. And the muffin tops AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

OTOH seems the fad of guys wearing their trousers below their butts with magic holding the things up are on the way out. Still can't figure the bit with baseball caps being on sideways with the visor over their ears. I am sure thare is a purpose for that.....

Useless without pics...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #64

I'm usually in sweats and shorts when I'm in the house but I would never leave it unless dressed neatly with khakis or clean jeans, golf shirts and casual shoes. DW also likes to dress in casual but always neat attire.

We ran into some old acquaintances last week at the movie theater and they looked like slobs. Not only their clothes were ragged but the guy's hair was uncombed and the lady looked like she just got out of bed. The lady told DW that ever since they retired they don't have to dress nicely to impress other folks. I'm for doing whatever makes you happy but why bring it up?
Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
About 5 years out of college, I wore mostly jeans and a tee shirt to work. Rare occasions like having a deposition would get me into a suit.
Shorts vs. full length jeans is more dependent on temperature.
For me, over 50F is shorts, under 50F is jeans.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #66

When I was still in the AF, I got to wear a flightsuit everyday. That's pretty much the same as getting to wear pajamas to w*rk! Today, it's shorts and t-shirt..everyday, even if it's cold out. If I happen to go out, it's jeans and a t-shirt (if it's below 55 degrees, otherwise, shorts). Some days, I don't get out of my flannel-pant-lounge-wear. And iron? What is that? I don't think I have touch one since I graduated from basic training.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:36 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I have patched and re-patched one pair of Mr. A.'s blue jeans from the 1970's, and embroidered designs around each patch. I call them his "hippie love jeans." He wears them proudly, as a sign that his old lady loves him (and also that the jeans still fit ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
When we were out, I pointed out to DW that my faded to very light blue jeans with a few pencil size worn out spots on it might fetch a good price on ebay.
I feel proud that originally they were the dark blue jeans only 20 years ago.

She wants me to throw them out....
Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

In my view, you are not nearly judgmental enough about other people. Frankly, any old body can put on neat, clean clothes. Myself, I am always analyzing what lies beneath a man's clothing, to see if that is tidy, properly cared for, and generally meets my standards.

(What in the world is a "camel-toe enhancing paste-on"? Is it some kind of pastie for the vajayjay? And where are you hanging out these days, that you see them being worn? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Did I mention I dislike slobs?

It fascinates me no end that women will pay a fortune for ragged sliced jeans. Or wear skin tight camel toe enhancing paste ons, then whine that they are treated as sex objects.

OTOH seems the fad of guys wearing their trousers below their butts with magic holding the things up are on the way out. Still can't figure the bit with baseball caps being on sideways with the visor over their ears. I am sure thare is a purpose for that.....
Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In my view, you are not nearly judgmental enough about other people. Frankly, any old body can put on neat, clean clothes. Myself, I am always analyzing what lies beneath a man's clothing, to see if that is tidy, properly cared for, and generally meets my standards.

(What in the world is a "camel-toe enhancing paste-on"? Is it some kind of pastie for the vajayjay? And where are you hanging out these days, that you see them being worn? )
Just curious, when you're done analyzing, how do you determine if your standards have been met?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #70

I remember a college professor in business school telling us " Whether you like it or not, people judge you by the way you look". I'm aware that people "analyze" us based on what we are wearing. I'll dress accordingly for those situations where I'd like a positive analysis. But these situations are few and far between these days.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

In a totally subjective manner...just like any judgment of people's appearance.

Or were you seeking a list of required "ilities"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just curious, when you're done analyzing, how do you determine if your standards have been met?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #72

My retirement wear is the same as what I wore in my personal life prior to retirement: jeans or cords with a turtleneck, sweater or shirt; sometimes sweats; short boots, loafers, or sneakers are my footwear. In summer I wear conservative-length shorts or capri pants with a shirt and sandals. I don't go out of the house in anything torn or stained. I only wear a dress if it is an occasion that requires entering a house of worship.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I spend most days in shorts and a tee. When we go out to eat, I make sure the clothes are clean and no holes! Friday night we meet our oldest son's SO'S parents so I am going to dress up in slacks and a sports coat😑.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have patched and re-patched one pair of Mr. A.'s blue jeans from the 1970's, and embroidered designs around each patch. I call them his "hippie love jeans." He wears them proudly, as a sign that his old lady loves him (and also that the jeans still fit ).
Ah, you need to get some Tear Mender to keep those jeans going! https://www.tearmender.com/howto.php
Old 12-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
If you are tempted to spend your days in yoga pants and tops you need to watch this video .
That's hysterical - I've never seen that before!

Sad to say, it could easily have been filmed in the pretentious town where I w#rk.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #76

Quote:

Re: second paragraph

$tarbucs, wally world, and the occasional trip trough the local mall.

Heck, the girls at the skating rink wear tights, mostly mondors with shorts over them, yet they infinitely are more modest than the denizens of the aforementioned locales. Amazing, the stuff a figure skating guy learns.

One has to be blind not to notice. The paste ons are often shorts or yoga pants often a size or two too small.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
I've befriended this guy at local dog park. Multi-millionaire. He wears the same ratty sweat pants. I've never seen him in anything else. I was at his house and he's still wearing the same pants. The threads at the bottom drag as he walks because the pants are too big for him.
So did you go back a second time?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Because of losing weight, most of my T shirts are too large for me and I realized that I sort of look like a slob when I go anywhere. Also, some of them are really old and you can tell. So, one of my plans for this year is to buy some new, smaller T shirts. Also, buy some nicer looking pants and tops for when I want to go somewhere above jeans level.
Try Banana Republic. My wife bought some for me, thought I looked good in them, so of course I like them too. Only $6.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

That's cool! Maybe not for jeans, but lots of other uses. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Ah, you need to get some Tear
HTML Code:
[HTML][CODE]Mender [/CODE]
[/HTML]to keep those jeans going! https://www.tearmender.com/howto.php
Old 12-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #80

I have a standard uniform. Shorts and tops for summer; yoga pants, summer top with sweater for winter. No makeup and hair clean but unfluffed.

When we have to go to an EVENT I do dress up, including makeup and fluffed hair. It's funny seeing someone react to the 'done up' me when they've only ever seen the regular me. Last time an acquaintance said "Wow, had no idea who you were". So I guess my LBYM uniform actually works!