Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Not caring about what I wear...
Old 12-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Well - since my magical date occurred Oct.13th I have been very surprised at what I wear/don't wear. This has surprised me as now I just dress how I want when I want. Kind of freeing really. I went with cargo shorts mostly (except Sunday church attire) and have really cut down on ironing. I used to dress business casual for the great majority of my 38 year career but am really enjoying a Laissez-faire attitude regarding what I am dress liked and wondering if others here have experienced this as well.

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Absolutely! Why dress up?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants..."
Old 12-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I hear you. It has been much the same for me. My magic date was June 30 and I just ironed for the first time since then a few days ago! I am also surprised at how infrequently I now do laundry. I now find myself wondering, as Jeff Foxworthy used to joke, "Does this smell OK to wear one more time"! Jeans are my new wardrobe staple.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I keep telling DW and kids that once I retire I'm getting rid of all of my shoes. Going with flip flops or barefoot. They just shake their heads.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

I'm off on leave I imagine when I pull the plug it will be the same

Uniform of the day:
Cold: jeans, flannel shirt, slip on sneakers.
Intermediate: jeans, long sleeved tee shirt, slip on sneakers
Warm: shorts, tee shirt, sandals - out to dinner means a golf shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

I actually had to go out and buy some casual clothes. I realized my wardrobe was completely full of only dress attire and workout clothes. It felt weird at first to wear tennis shoes, jeans, and a tshirt.. its not something I've worn in a really long time. Started donating my work attire, hopefully it will go to good use.. though I'll now need 1/8 of the closet space.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

I read one book, where there was a comment about a retiree. "He was wearing the standard retiree outfit-T shirt, shorts, and flip flops". I then said. "Wait a minute! That is what I wear"
In another book about a man retiring, there was a quote at the top of each chapter. The one that cracked me up was "Formal wear-shoes with laces"
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

I'm off to Kohl's today with a discount coupon to buy some more casual t-shirts, cargo shorts, and white crew socks.

I'm good for now with baseball caps.

BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I now use 90% less clothes than when I was working.

Caution however: I found it's a fine line between not caring what I wear and just being a bad, lazy slob. The former is a good thing, the latter....not so much.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants..."
+1

Unless it is below freezing and then pants beats no pants every time.

I was lucky enough to have clothes provided by work for most of my working life so never did dress up much. Otherwise, business casual with a note about the medical condition I had that precluded me from wearing ties!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I got rid of my iron when I moved.

Like you, I dress pretty casually in retirement. I wear shorts and a light shell top if the temperatures are over 70, which is the case here on most days. No flip flops, though; New Balance running shoes or Teva sandals.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #13

All my work clothes were sold at a garage sale or donated. I kept one pair of shoes and a couple slacks and shirts for the occasional graduation or wedding. In warm weather, I usually wear shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. Cold weather, it's blue jeans, sweatshirt, and comfortable shoes. I have enough clothes for the rest of my life, but DW "thins the herd" for what I consider to be trivial stains or holes, etc. So, I restock as needed at the local thrift store. Probably should go get some shorts before warm weather comes back.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've never had an office job so I have never used an iron in my life. If it's warm enough I wear just a t-shirt and either basketball shorts or cargo shorts. When it gets cold I wear jeans and a hoodie over my t-shirt. I will never wear a collared shirt unless i'm going to a funeral.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Nowadays I prefer sporty clothes like one finds at REI.

Like R2W my feet get the best treatment I can find:
running shoes like Brooks for cold weather
Teva sandals for warm weather

I like to keep up my appearance. Don't want to look like a street bum or a clothes horse.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

It can go too far--someone pointed out to me this week that my shirt was inside out and I debated just leaving it....
Old 12-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Was given 2 new dresses for Christmas. Trouble is, now I have to think of a restaurant I'd want to go to in order to have a reason to wear them. With all the $$$ around these parts, it's weird that almost all the eateries are big-noisy-box chain restaurants with terrible food.

Anyway, I thought female retirees were only allowed to wear yoga pants with long sweaters over them. That's what all the over-60's wear around here.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

At the daily morning ROMEO club meeting at the local Burger King, each member's clothing is generally one step above street beggar attire. Rules are that you must wear foot coverings (tennis shoes, flip flops, etc - facility rule) and not wear the same thing more than two days in a row.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

Hey, who stole this week's underwear?
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Actually lately I have been getting the urge to improve how I dress. I semi-retired 5 years ago and still work very part-time (averaging a few hours a week) entirely from home. About a year ago I needed to go to a meeting at my office and really had to scrounge for appropriate work clothes. I had lost a lot of weight so the old ones didn't fit and my usual attire wasn't right for the office. I finally found something OK in the back of the closet.

I wear mostly T-shirts, with either a long sleeve denim shirt over them (worn like a jacket) or with an actual polar fleece jacket with large pockets (when cooler). For pants, I usually wear workout type pants. If I want to dress up, I wear jeans. (I did go to a wedding last May and bought a long skirt and fancy top for that. DH had to buy a suit since the one he had when he retired was too large for him as he also lost a lot of weight).

Because of losing weight, most of my T shirts are too large for me and I realized that I sort of look like a slob when I go anywhere. Also, some of them are really old and you can tell. So, one of my plans for this year is to buy some new, smaller T shirts. Also, buy some nicer looking pants and tops for when I want to go somewhere above jeans level.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote