Not caring about what I wear...

I used to have to wear a suit and tie to work but since then I've only worn them to weddings a funerals. DW has higher standards than me and insisted on replacing some old jeans with new ones a couple of months ago.

Summer: Jeans, sneakers, t-shirt inside and golf shirt outside.
Winter: Same, but flannel shirt over the t-shirt.
Very cold: Substitute insulated boots for sneakers.

And what is this "iron" thing mentioned?

So far I've only worn pants twice this year (since February of 2015 when it was really cold). Both times to volunteer gigs as a member of the board. Otherwise, shorts every day. It almost got cold enough to put on pants (ie below freezing) but then it warmed back up.

DW is semi-retired and working from home part time, so her work clothes are t-shirt and shorts or jeans.

Definitely cuts down on laundry. But ironing? You can't cut anything when you're starting at zero. :)

DW retired about 5 years ago from a District Manager job at a large RE company. She wore dress suits every day. Well, now it's pretty casual, although when we go out to visit friends or to a restraunt, she dresses up a bit (not ex-work clothes) and makes me go up a notch above my "Walmart people" attire.

But, and a big but,..........our very large master bedroom closet still has every stitch of clothing she has owned in the last 40 (?) years hanging in it. I have a space about 18" wide for all my clothes, and that includes two suits that don't fit anymore. She flat refuses to part with it. I'm not going to mention what's in the other closets and how many pairs of shoes go along with all of her stuff.:rolleyes:

My dress du jour is usually T shirt, shorts, footies, flip-flops and or sneakers. I'm not too choosey if things have a few small holes, etc. I'll still wear them and convince DW not to throw them out. We have a younger couple and the wife is always on me about my grandpa look. When she chided me about my worn tennis shoes I put duct tape on them just to get her reaction.

When I'm on the links, I'm one sharp dressed man though.

Back in the work days it was business casual and I still have a closet full of 30+ dress shirts and pants, plus a half dozen of so suits and sports coats that I really need to cull through.

I think downgrading wardrobe is fine as long as it's clean...

If it stays in the hamper long enough, it's clean again...

If it needs ironing, it's going to Goodwill...

Summer: for public exposure, cargo shorts, tees, flip-flops. Maybe really dress it up with a polo shirt and running shoes. Gym trunks, no shirt at home.

Winter: Jeans, tees, sweatshirt or fleece pullover, maybe a flannel shirt. Sweatsuit and socks at home.

Dress Casual: Jeans, or khakis, polo, button-up shirt, maybe a sweater, loafers, or the occasional python boot...

Miscellaneous gym trunks, bike shorts, sport tees, thermals, jogging tights, swimming trunks. Several jackets/coats, a raincoat, and a down jacket. Have two suits, neither of which I could get into...

And one tie-dyed...
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1451342353.905315.jpg

I just finished a 10 day span where I only wore pajamas. When I went out, I wore carhartt coveralls over the pajamas. But normally I'm in jeans or shorts, t shirt or sweatshirt. Hiking boots or running shoes. I'm using my former work shirts for rags.

I dressed up for w@@k so I had high end suits, shoes and bags that I listed and sold on eBay. I kept one or maybe two pair of my favorite shoes (Christian Louboutin), four bags and zero of the suits.
I made a very nice pile of money.

With some of that, I bought casual stuff, jeans and such along with some semi dressy outfits for going out.

I do get dressed daily, hair done etc otherwise I feel sloppy. This might change....

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

If you are tempted to spend your days in yoga pants and tops you need to watch this video .

If you are tempted to spend your days in yoga pants and tops you need to watch this video .

I've seen that before and it's hysterical. I get someone dropping by the grocery on the way home from the gym but to wear workout gear all the time?
I was out to dinner with friends a few Saturdays ago at a fairly nice place, in walked a guy in a sport coat, slacks and the woman with him was in Luluemon yoga pants and a tank top. On Saturday night. For dinner. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My new retiree uniform is a t-shirt, jean shorts and sandals during the summer and jeans and sneakers in the winter. Golf shirt and khaki shorts on golf days.

I do keep two business casual uniforms from w*rk days for weddings and funerals.

Just yesterday around noon the doorbell rang, so I got up from the computer and realized I couldn't answer the door in underwear :eek:

Had to put on a golf shirt and pants, so I could open the door.... too relaxed :D

:LOL:
You might have the Championship Belt of this thread...
someone else has to take the belt from this post! #challenge

About 5 years out of college, I wore mostly jeans and a tee shirt to work. Rare occasions like having a deposition would get me into a suit.
Shorts vs. full length jeans is more dependent on temperature.

I find that dressing nicely when I am out of the house pays benefits in how I am treated in both business and personal contacts. Something just a bit 'eccentric' usually helps. But, just a very small bit. :D

Does anybody remember when it became acceptable to go out in public with parts of ones underwear showing?

Uh oh. You mean they changed it?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I find that dressing nicely when I am out of the house pays benefits in how I am treated in both business and personal contacts. :D

My dear (sloppy) nephew once observed to me that "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover".

To which I replied: "No, you shouldn't, but people do it every day...it affects a job interview, a girl you want to ask out, where you're seated at a restaurant..."

Thankfully, dear Spaulding got it!

My dear (sloppy) nephew once observed to me that "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover".

To which I replied: "No, you shouldn't, but people do it every day...it affects a job interview, a girl you want to ask out, where you're seated at a restaurant..."

Thankfully, dear Spaulding got it!

As a bearded man who [-]sometimes[/-] often let's the beard get a little unruly, I have found that dressing ONE notch above the expected goes a long way towards getting the service/attention from people that I would like.

So, a golf shirt and khakis or jeans is my everyday runaround outfit. Tee shirt and holey jeans would make me look homeless - dress shirt and khakis and I would still look employed.

I now use 90% less clothes than when I was working.

Caution however: I found it's a fine line between not caring what I wear and just being a bad, lazy slob. The former is a good thing, the latter....not so much.

And the difference between the two categories might not be discernable to the casual observer............. But, so what?

I find that dressing nicely when I am out of the house pays benefits in how I am treated in both business and personal contacts. Something just a bit 'eccentric' usually helps. But, just a very small bit. :D
I realize that most people here are married or effectively married, but still, it is probably worth the small amount of effort to look good. I think most men and women feel more disposed to be warm with well turned out people than those who may be descending into slobovia.

There is a good article in today's WSJ pitched to those who are still looking. What does it say? Go about your life looking better than presentable, smile, be open to interaction and you can say goodbye to internet dating. And on the reasonable theory that it is better to maintain a satisfying relationship than to be looking once more, why not try to please the man or woman who is already in your life? Don't forget, your current companion might be wondering if she could do better, at the very moment when you show up at her door, or even when you are looking at one another in what we optimistically call committed relationships.

Even the police are less likely to shoot you if you are well dressed.

I feel like my girlfriend is quite reasonable, but she does request that I wear appropriate attire when we go out, or really when I see her at her home. Why not? I know I much prefer that a woman look good, and I respond to this.

Ha

Last edited:
women feel more disposed to be warm with well turned out people than those who may be descending into slobovia.

Well, you've convinced me.......sometime in the upcoming year I've promised myself that I'll take a shower and change my underwear.......maybe. ;)

Back in the fall one of my son's college visits required me to dress up a little. I struggled with how things went together and just how dressed up I wanted to get. This is from a guy that dressed to the 9s including matching watches, belts, etc and would pick colors and textures for the day depending on what type of events I needed to attend or what meetings I needed to influence.

It seems my closet has been taken over with biker apparel, ball caps, and fleece pullovers for the cold winters. Throwing a big dinner for my son's college baseball signing next week at a nice old school steakhouse in town. I think I will go with a button down and jeans. That's about it.

JDARNELL

It can go too far--someone pointed out to me this week that my shirt was inside out and I debated just leaving it....

Yes, I feel like I have been bordering on this territory. I ordered some new clothes over the past couple of weeks to look more presentable. I have a fear of being mistaken for homeless.

Back
Top Bottom