Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I gotta interrupt this technical discussion to ask a very basic question:

Is there such a thing as a deck that doesn't require all of this hassle? Why build a deck instead of a concrete-foundation lanai or a gazebo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I've heard Trex decking doesn't require much if any care (recycled wood and plastic with a littel color added and made into 2x4s IIRC).
I haven't used the artificial wood for any decks or patios or whatever, but I have seen it in use. When we were out at Yellowstone Nat'l Park a few years ago, we went to watch the old geezer Old Faithful erupt. They have a deck/viewing platform that has to be about 1/4 mile long (or longer) and about 12' wide, and it's made of the artificial wood 5/4 planking. It looked very nice, and had a wood grain texture to it. No splintering or knot-holes either. As far as getting hot when the sun shines on it.....I'd say maybe slightly more than real wood, but not a lot.

If/when I do a new patio or deck I'll probably use that instead of real wood. I'm tired of the stain routine every few years on stuff. I want simplicity.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

My 14 year old cedar deck hasnt been stained in 5 years and it looks terrible. The stain is peeling on all the flat surfaces and the railing spindles dont look good either. I really dont want to stain it again. I built my dock/deck 3 years ago out of Trex and it looks the same now as when I built it. I'm thinking of redoing the deck with Trex, and maybe making it bigger.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My 14 year old cedar deck hasnt been stained in 5 years and it looks terrible. The stain is peeling on all the flat surfaces and the railing spindles dont look good either. I really dont want to stain it again. I built my dock/deck 3 years ago out of Trex and it looks the same now as when I built it. I'm thinking of redoing the deck with Trex, and maybe making it bigger.
If it is peeling, it was put on too thick, as mentioned above. It should soak into the wood. Mine sort of wears away and fades some after 3-4 years.

Trex might still be a good option though, esp if you are going to change/add to it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I may have put in on too thick, and I remember it not soaking in very well when I did it. But now is a good time to change to Trex (next spring)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote