Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No, it's because we don't really read the question, or are eager to discuss what we are thinking about. This is a shocking trend, and we're all a bunch of threadholes here.

I, for one, am speaking up about it.
This phenomenon isn't just with forums. It's in everyday face-to-face conversation as well.

I don't talk a lot so spend a fair amount of time listening to those around me talking. It's amazing how often people talk to each other yet they seem to be having two completely different conversations!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like the part where I ignore the 10 item sign cause the sweetie motioned me over to her THEN empty register.

Of course THEN customers matialize out of nowhere. Where upon I do my best Godfather rountine - or my 'go pound sand look.'

"Never apologize Mr Cahill. It's a sign of weakness."

heh heh heh - I never blow them a kiss while driving anymore - sometimes they pull guns.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
It's amazing how often people talk to each other yet they seem to be having two completely different conversations!
Reminds me of parenting a teenager...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

That's funny - I've never seen a single line with 8 registers, and you've never seen anything else! Maybe it is because we are on opposite sides of the country I'm afraid that where I shop, a line for 8 self-check registers would reach to the back of the store

Incivility at the self-checkout: We will not use the self-checkout at our local Home Depot because the woman assigned to "help" customers, has an abrasive manner. She doesn't come over, just brays useless "instructions" from a distance in such a loud voice that everyone else turns around and looks. Neither of us can stand this - we don't want to be noticed. I suppose we could complain to the management, but hey, they can hear her too!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
All the self check registers in my area use the single queue method. There are about a half dozen stores I frequent with self-check and they all work this way. In fact, I have never seen a self check with separate queues. I assumed it was to make it easier on the one store employee overseeing the multiple registers, because around here they all have a single queue to feed the self-check stations. Regular checkout still uses a separate queue for each checker in each of these places.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada

I'm not saying teachers are the source, they just educate our kids and teach what they are told to. Text books are full of this kind of bias.
I think we need some objective documentation to back this up.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

Sometimes I think that we have a downward spiral going here, in which the the first generation of kids that were not taught well have now become teachers. Think so?
No.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #107

Midpack, getting back to the point of your thread, I have made a resolution. I will forever give up getting frustrated over a customer having too many items to be in a certain line, I will always hold the door for someone, I will always says please and thank you and hereby promise to be considerate of others. Life is too short to be so uptight about these little things. Thanks for the great thread.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Incivility at the self-checkout: We will not use the self-checkout at our local Home Depot ...
I manage to lock those things up three out of four times, to the point where it's faster to wait in line for a human cashier.

BTW I suspect the "self checkout cashier" is put over there because they don't work well with others, and they're exiled over there until it occurs to them to quit.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
BTW I suspect the "self checkout cashier" is put over there because they don't work well with others, and they're exiled over there until it occurs to them to quit.
At the store we use the most, it is obvious to even the most causal observer (us -- well maybe we are more observant than others, but hey), that the "self checkout cashier" job is rotated among employees -- it may be different elsewhere. We just don'k know how the rotation is determined. But there are some of the self checkout cashiers that work very well with others, even in the regular checkout lines.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to admit I have gone in the express line with more than ten items. I was a single dad working Full time stopping at the market almost every day to pick up a few items. My daily number of items was usually less than ten but in a few instances was probably 20 or more. The last thing on my mind was to count the items I bought. The cashier reminded me one day and I tried harder to comply.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Midpack, getting back to the point of your thread, I have made a resolution. I will forever give up getting frustrated over a customer having too many items to be in a certain line, I will always hold the door for someone, I will always says please and thank you and hereby promise to be considerate of others. Life is too short to be so uptight about these little things. Thanks for the great thread.
Great philosophy. Sometimes when I whine to my laidback, always happy son about something trivial, he tells me to just get over it, and I realize he is right.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast
I have to admit I have gone in the express line with more than ten items. I was a single dad working Full time stopping at the market almost every day to pick up a few items. My daily number of items was usually less than ten but in a few instances was probably 20 or more. The last thing on my mind was to count the items I bought. The cashier reminded me one day and I tried harder to comply.
Ok, so I don't want to pick on this poster and I am sure you are a good guy who really has not thought out the implications of what you posted. but being a "single dad working Full time" is irrelevant to the rules. Lots of people in that store have other demands on their time. This is not an excuse to be oblivious to the rules and structure that are there for the benefit of all. Your answer implied or at least made it easy to infer that you think that your life situation made that inconsiderate behavior somehow excusable. The counting of items may have been last on your mind, but the effect your actions had on others never even made the list. It is good that once reminded by the cashier you started considering others, or tried to.
Again, coming back to the scofflaws who smoke In inappropriate places at the hospital- they often suggest that whatever real stresses they are experiencing--and they are real at a hospital- somehow makes the rule not applicable to them.
NO. The rule is not just there for the unstressed or the unbusy...it is there for a reason or there is no reason for anyone to follow it. The more people try to rationalize why this or that rule does not apply to them, the more disordered and difficult it is for all. And those who would accept or look the other way are enablers.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #113

Ok, since we're venting. I've been doing this for a while now and it just makes me feel good. Picture a two-lane road that is being merged into a single lane after a traffic light. There are those little merge arrows painted on the road before and after the traffic light. While stopped at the light, some douche will invariably drive on the soon-disappear lane and cut in front of everyone else when the light turns green. So what do I do? I block the lane so no one can pass. On more than one occasion I have gotten dirty looks from other "law-abiders" when they thought that I was going to cut in front of everyone before they realized that I was trying to prevent someone else from doing it.

DW hates it when I do this!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #114

Same here. I don't think I would have spoken up. There are more important things in life than waiting lines at your favorite stores. I don't care if someone is using the wrong line at my store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
If something bothers you and you don't speak up, imho you don't really have a problem with it. I don't think I would have spoken up. Are we going to hell in a handbasket because people are selfish? Who knows.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Ok, since we're venting. I've been doing this for a while now and it just makes me feel good. Picture a two-lane road that is being merged into a single lane after a traffic light. There are those little merge arrows painted on the road before and after the traffic light. While stopped at the light, some douche will invariably drive on the soon-disappear lane and cut in front of everyone else when the light turns green. So what do I do? I block the lane so no one can pass. On more than one occasion I have gotten dirty looks from other "law-abiders" when they thought that I was going to cut in front of everyone before they realized that I was trying to prevent someone else from doing it.

So, it is two lanes before the light where you are blocking people? You are doing this to stop someone from reaching the point where the lanes merge? I would think that if the city wanted there to be only one lane before the light, they would have put merge and have only one lane before the light.

I would say I agree with your wife.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
So, it is two lanes before the light where you are blocking people? You are doing this to stop someone from reaching the point where the lanes merge? I would think that if the city wanted there to be only one lane before the light, they would have put merge and have only one lane before the light.

I would say I agree with your wife.
+1 All moving over early does is move the bottleneck back. If I pulled behind someone blocking two lanes I would pull quickly around them after the light. It seems exceedingly dumb to me that drivers will slow down in a merge lane far before the end to try to work their way into a backed up lane next to them. They simply succeed in transferring the merge back to a point the road designers did not intend. Why not proceed to the merge as intended? Another nasty aspect of blocking both lanes is that in some cases your may be preventing someone else from making a right turn on red, also as planned in the road design.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #117

I'll probably repeat what a lot have already said. The cashier talking to her sidekick about her "night out" or holding a conversation with someone while checking me out annoys me. I've yet to say anything but if I did it would be something like "you are on my time while you are checking my items out" or "isn't your break in 30 minutes"? I always help bag my own items to speed things up. A couple of times, Ive said, "Does the store give me 5% off for bagging my own groceries?" (meaning while you stand their chit chatting?").
Another: Carts left in parking spaces in the parking lot such that the spaces are not useable. Usually can't say anything as the culprit is no longer around.
Another: Handicapped parking. I have said something. Usually it's something like: "Ya know, that space is for someone that is truly handicapped and you look o.k. to me.
That said, There was recently an altercation at one of our local grocery stores. An elderly couple said something to this guy who was breaking the rules. This guy waiting for them outside and proceeded to push, shove, knock down...to the point the police were called.
Have to pick your battles based on "how sane" the person looks!"
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post

LOL! I've been known to do the same. I get over just enough to make it difficult for the person to break in the line/lane.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

I give up...it was never about minor pet peeves. But clearly I have not framed the thought very well. Maybe I'll try again one day, and maybe not.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
LOL! I've been known to do the same. I get over just enough to make it difficult for the person to break in the line/lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
+1 All moving over early does is move the bottleneck back. If I pulled behind someone blocking two lanes I would pull quickly around them after the light. It seems exceedingly dumb to me that drivers will slow down in a merge lane far before the end to try to work their way into a backed up lane next to them. They simply succeed in transferring the merge back to a point the road designers did not intend. Why not proceed to the merge as intended? Another nasty aspect of blocking both lanes is that in some cases your may be preventing someone else from making a right turn on red, also as planned in the road design.
+2 The traffic control people want you to use all that space. It feels like cheating to move up and merge, but it is the right thing to do.

This was clearer to me when I thought of it in practical engineering terms. You always try to maximize the use of limited resources in a system. That lane space is a limited resource - utilize ALL of it!

-ERD50