Join Early Retirement Today

Not Ready for Winter Yet!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Not Ready for Winter Yet!

Well ready or not we were greeted with a foot of new snow in the ski resorts yesterday.

It is just too darn early for this stuff! I can see the tops of all the mountains here with fresh snow. I don't mind it once I have to deal with it but it just seems way too early to think about this stuff.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Not Ready for Winter Yet!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Can not figure out if your complaining, or wishing you were a snowbird or maybe just a tinge of arthritis setting in early & the ol' bones are beginning to predict the weather. Sounds like your out in the west somewhere, pehaps the Rockies? I lived in New Mexico for about 9 years - Questa, Taos and Albuquerque. Spent some time in Colorado - went up thru Montrose Pass - (I think its about 13k feet or so) during a snowstorm with a 78 Ford Fairmont wagon!! Luckily followed a huge snowblower up & down the mountain. We don't look back on that experience as one "of our finest hours"!! The kids slept thru the whole experience. I live in New Castle, PA - we get a little snow here, but only have about 2 months of bad weather. My wife really gets the creaky bones during winter - something to do with bursitis so the doctors say. I have to have a 4w drive truck to usually get out of my driveway though most winter days. Nice thing about winter is it covers up the drab town eyesores, being around dying coal and steel towns. The thing I remember most about the Taos ski valley was sitting in the Mineslide Cabin that our friends owned, looking out the window, thankful that I didn't have to go anywhere - just taking in the majesty of the mountains and watching the many freezing their tails off while i was basking in front of a blazing fire chugging down a cold brew. Gotta love that winter weather!!!
Anyway, stay warm, get ready for the cold, dress warm and if your anything like me - just "throw another log on the fire" and dream of warmer winters!!!
AJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Well ready or not we were greeted with a foot of new snow in the ski resorts yesterday.* *
What a coincidence, I was just looking forward to North Shore surf and thinking about how cold the water gets. Why, some days it's in the low 70s.

OK, I'll try to suspend further weather reports until next April...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What a coincidence, I was just looking forward to North Shore surf and thinking about how cold the water gets.* Why, some days it's in the low 70s.

OK, I'll try to suspend further weather reports until next April...
Nords: Under your PR facade, you've got a genuine mean streak!
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #5

94 degrees in Phoenix today. I almost put on long pants.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:01 AM   #6

same at the beach...still running the A/C. Not looking forward to the trip back to NY :P
Old 10-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL
Can not figure out if your complaining, or wishing you were a snowbird or maybe just a tinge of arthritis setting in early & the ol' bones are beginning to predict the weather.
Not complaining....just stating that is seems too early for snow here. The nights are in the mid to low 30s for the next couple of days. With the low humidity here it does not feel that cold. I don't mind the snow....my cabin is at 8000 ft. so I deal with tons of it each winter and love to be in the cabin during winter. I just hope we don't have the major snow events we had last year where we got snowed out most of the winter.

I like to ease into winter and that usually starts at the end of October...not the begining. The trees still have all their leaves yet so early snow can break them off pretty fast. I lost several nice trees a couple of years ago and would hate to loose anymore.

I live here because there are four distinct seasons. I lived in the tropics for a few years and would not go back to the heat, humidity, and bugs again.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR

I live here because there are four distinct seasons.* I lived in the tropics for a few years and would not go back to the heat, humidity, and bugs again.*
I really don't mind winter or the snow as long as I don't have to commute in it. I love weekend storms when I'm home on the inside looking out. And I can't wait for the cold to kill all the bugs!!!!

C____

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Snow mixed with rain here in Minnesoter yesterday. Fifteen foot waves on lake superior. Nords, want to come surf?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
looking out the window, thankful that I didn't have to go anywhere - just taking in the majesty of the mountains and watching the many freezing their tails off while i was basking in front of a blazing fire chugging down a cold brew.
The secret to enjoying wnter...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Snow mixed with rain here in Minnesoter yesterday. Fifteen foot waves on lake superior. Nords, want to come surf?
20 years ago I would've been dumb enough to say "Sure!" But, say, I bet I'd have those waves all to myself...

When spouse & I learned SCUBA in Monterey Bay, we bought most of our gear from people who'd learned to dive in Hawaii. We used to think they were spineless wimps, and now I am one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Nords:* Under your PR facade, you've got a genuine mean streak!
"This weather report has been brought to you by the Hawaiian Visitors & Convention Bureau.* Aloha!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote