Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
remember the days when we thought that getting two copies when photos were developed, was a good thing?
Oh yeah.......always checked off the 2 copies box!

Quote:
At age 5 my memories of Egypt are mainly my horror at the dreadful poverty as we walked (and walked and walked and walked) around through the worst and scariest parts of Cairo. I especially remember a little girl my age who was starving (or so I gathered), and wanting to give her a dime, all the money I had. My parents cut me off at the pass on that one since we probably would have been mobbed had I done it.
On my first trips to Ceylon/Sri Lanka encountered a number of deliberately deformed children, (legs/feet bent backwards as infants)......done to make them more effective beggars; the last time I was there, 1985, didn't see one......I guess there are advantages to 'sweatshop' jobs, the pay might be low, but it's more than they had previously.

Quote:
We traveled from the US via the QE1, but then proceeded by land and air from there. We eventually flew from Israel through Cyprus to Egypt, because traveling from Israel directly to Egypt was not allowed due to mideast war/tensions.

I'm not sure how my father pulled that one off in Cyprus. I was only 5.
Was hitchhiking in Syria/Iraq/Iran in 1963.....couldn't get into Israel due to border restrictions, (and the Arabs wouldn't let you back into their countries if you did manage to get across)......since we were heading east this was an insurmountable problem.

Finally got to Israel on my first R&R from Saudi in 1982......flew from Saudi to Cyprus, thence to Haifa via ferry.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I seem to have become the repository for historical family photos dating back to the early 19th century, and everything from then until now. Many of the photos were taken by me at the age shown in the photo (with my Brownie camera) on up, or by my brothers or parents, so I am puzzling over what on earth they are, where they are, and who the people are in them.
In my family, all of those photos have a hand-scribbled label on the back stating "The group of us a week ago last Thursday at the gang hangout"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In my family, all of those photos have a hand-scribbled label on the back stating "The group of us a week ago last Thursday at the gang hangout"...
Sounds like mine. "Bee with Ethyl". I know who Bee is, but who's Ethyl? And where in Hades are they, and why? And I have become very inventive in trying to get all the info in the filenames.

"1963 - Bee&EthylJones_NewYork_ferrytoxyz"

30 years from now my daughter will be scratching her head and saying, "Bee who?"

I can't blame the scribblers, though. I did it too. I distinctly remember thinking, "I don't need to say how old Christina is; there is no way I would ever forget that the year I bought her that adorable jumper was the year she turned (7? 9? 10?)".

I am amazed at how many of the scribblings are in pencil. Like, we all thought pencil would be easy to read 40 years later?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Luckily, I was just a little kid my first time, so all they made me do was eat cold spaghetti blindfolded (and they told me it was worms). I haven't found any photos of that event yet, but here's a photo taken in Egypt in 1954 (the previous year) that shows my mother, me, and the camel driver. We were on our way to Giza, which at the time was only accessible by a long trek via camel.
Your mother was a very beautiful woman.

Ha
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Thank you. Yes, she was. She was a sweet person, too. I think of her often.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
+1, I thought she looked so elegant and composed there, in what must have been a hot climate and stifling clothes. And your expression is priceless!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like mine. "Bee with Ethyl". I know who Bee is, but who's Ethyl? And where in Hades are they, and why? And I have become very inventive in trying to get all the info in the filenames.

30 years from now my daughter will be scratching her head and saying, "Bee who?"

I can't blame the scribblers, though. I did it too. I distinctly remember thinking, "I don't need to say how old Christina is; there is no way I would ever forget that the year I bought her that adorable jumper was the year she turned (7? 9? 10?)".

I am amazed at how many of the scribblings are in pencil. Like, we all thought pencil would be easy to read 40 years later?
A few years ago, there was an temporary exhibit in the modern wing of the Art Institute in Chicago. It was the back of a bunch of random family photos along a wall. So all you saw was stuff like, 'Bee with Ethyl at the Lake, with junior acting goofy again!', or 'Junior gets a taste of his own medicine!'. It was kinda fun, you had to imagine what the picture looked like (I think they had a few fronts scattered around, to kind of set the tone). Not exactly my idea of 'art', but it was a fun little distraction. I think everyone could relate, and that is a part of art.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Here's my mom from that same time period -- perhaps 1952?

GailCarolMomOnBed.jpg

Same hairstyle and look, huh?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Wow, Al, did she do toothpaste commercials? What a whopper of a smile! Such an all-American look.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

This is 1986

86ThreeSibs.jpg

and right now, I am wearing those same glasses frames.

And me, driving:

Image29.jpg
Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I have become very inventive in trying to get all the info in the filenames.

That's a good system, and I use something similar. The trick is to think of what you would search for if you were looking for that photo.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's a good system, and I use something similar. The trick is to think of what you would search for if you were looking for that photo.
The hard part is when I don't know the date, but know it is somewhere between 1963-1965, so I have to label it

"1964 - yearuncertain_Bee&EthylJones_NYC_EmpireStateBldg" .

The "yearuncertain" part is so long. But if I don't put in some sort of date, then it is unclear whether it's 1964 or 1974 or 1984.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
A few years ago, there was an temporary exhibit in the modern wing of the Art Institute in Chicago. It was the back of a bunch of random family photos along a wall. So all you saw was stuff like, 'Bee with Ethyl at the Lake, with junior acting goofy again!', or 'Junior gets a taste of his own medicine!'. It was kinda fun, you had to imagine what the picture looked like (I think they had a few fronts scattered around, to kind of set the tone). Not exactly my idea of 'art', but it was a fun little distraction. I think everyone could relate, and that is a part of art.

-ERD50
Love it! Too bad they didn't show the fronts of the photos, too.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Al, I love the photos of your family, especially the one of you and your sister (I guess) "driving" the family car. So adorable! And your mother is lovely.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #55

This is one of me from the Senior Prom, 1968 scanned from a 35mm slide. I was madly in love with Janet, who I last saw in 1969.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walt_HS_Graduation_0004.jpg (78.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This is one of me from the Senior Prom, 1968 scanned from a 35mm slide. I was madly in love with Janet, who I last saw in 1969.
Your dates hairdoo brings back memories
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Here's a picture my mom sent me today. It's my Grandmother and her seven sisters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8Halls.jpg (29.0 KB, 170 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Here's a picture my mom sent me today. It's my Grandmother and her seven sisters.
Wow! A lot of girls in that family! How neat that you have this photo.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow! A lot of girls in that family! How neat that you have this photo.
There were a few boys in the family too. With all the pretty girls, there were plenty of gentlemen callers coming to their home in the small town in southwestern Missouri where they all lived.

Grandma is in the bottom row far left. I think she was about 14 when this picture was taken. I looked so much like her when I was the same age. Now...not so much
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Your grandmother was a knock-out! I think she was stunning and probably the prettiest girl in the family. I can see why they had a lot of gentlemen callers, as you mentioned.