Join Early Retirement Today

Note to self: keep mouth shut
Old 10-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Note to self: keep mouth shut

What a day! One of our directors just came by and asked me if I'd put together a proposal yet for my retirement plans He had heard rumours of my plans and the RV purchase sort of cemented things in his mind.

Although I'm going, I don't want to do anything formal just yet because I don't want to be marginalized or, worse, made to feel guilty for leaving. It would make the next few months unbearable.

I told him I'm not ready to make the decision yet, but I have a feeling that all 3 directors know there's something afoot and are just waiting for the shoe to drop (he's got a big mouth).

Must learn to keep mouth shut.

OTOH, if they offer me an early buy-out, I'll be spending January in AZ.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is often a safe option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Must learn to keep mouth shut.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
We are too soon old, and too late smart.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

January in Arizona is just wonderful, come on down.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, the old keep mouth shut bit. Years ago the company I worked for needed to downsize, and because I kept sharing my desire to someday "go freelance" they let me go and gave my assistant my job - way before I was ready to go out on my own! Best thing that every happened really, but I did learn an important lesson.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Administrator

I have been guilty of forgetting to engage the brain before opening the mouth many times. However, I was happy to give over a year's notice when I was ready to retire. I worked on big projects and since the company had been very good to me I didn't want to leave them in the lurch with a short notice. It did mean I was able to walk around with a permanent smile on my face for the last few months without having to explain why
Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Usually...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I have been guilty of forgetting to engage the brain before opening the mouth many times. However, I was happy to give over a year's notice when I was ready to retire. I worked on big projects and since the company had been very good to me I didn't want to leave them in the lurch with a short notice. It did mean I was able to walk around with a permanent smile on my face for the last few months without having to explain why
It cuts both ways. We've had at least two members of this board who'd planned their ER for years yet only planned to give the minimum statutory notice. As their blessed announcement day approached, both were laid off with generous separation payments. Best ER present the company could have ever given them.

I "gave notice" about three years beforehand by framing on my office wall my BUPERS letters which "allowed" me to stay until 20 years of service and to do so at the same duty station. My actual retirement request went in about 10 minutes after the eligibility window opened... IIRC that was one year.

My "relief" still wasn't ordered in until about six months after my last day in the office.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Except for one trusted coworker, I told nobody at work. I was concerned that requesting a reduction in my weekly work hours from 20 to 12 in 2007 might be a tipoff to eventually reducing those hours to zero, but the actual reasons for that reduction was spelled out in the note to my divisionhead.

I also did not join this forum or post on any blogs about my plans until I ahd actually retired. I realize I lost the chance to share with all of you my ongoing plans for ER back in 2008 but I felt being mum was important. [Another coworker did spot a post I made in an ER blog a year after I left and figured out it was me, so I felt a bit vindicated by my silence.]

At the end, I gave one month's notice which was only 9 more working days because I was working only 2 days a week. It wasn't a total shock to my bosses although one of them wanted to know if I had any serious medical issues (other than just being "sick" of the commute and working LOL!).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
I did NOT keep my mouth shut
Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I did NOT keep my mouth shut

My present position had been held for nine years by people who had retired, collected pension and worked part time. (It was a specialized position and they saved the organization a lot of money). I started working at this position last year because my partner had truly retired and was leaving the building. A huge change from above required her to come back out of retirement for a year. Meanwhile I was truly 1/2 time (not retired and collecting a pension) and she was very good about protecting my part time status. Now she is gone and I find I am expected to do her job plus a lot more. I am paid part time but working more and more hours on my days off. I finally vented on my bosses, had a meeting to voice my concerns and emphasized that I was part time and not retiring in the near future and to please respect that aspect or pay me accordingly. I am documenting all my overtime hours and treating this as "information sharing".
I do respect my admin team but I respect myself more. I was always the good soldier and mostly that stood me in good stead for over 30 years. But today is a new day in the corporate and public service world and since I am staying for a few more years I am more willing to be a squeaky wheel when I feel I am being taken advantage of.
spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We had a blanket downsizing through early retirement. The management said (wink-wink), we really would like you to stay. I said what is the benefit. They said more days of accumulation. I said no thanks. Stayed on 3 months past the deadline to assist with the transition.

Never regreted it.