Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Now answer this article.. Why is he still alive?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
Now I hear they're saying the fired attorneys were all Harriet Miers' idea (except of course it was quickly shown NOT to be). Just another day in Wonderland.
I worked at JSC-NASA for several years. With no malice towards anyone, that place was about as screwed up as one can achieve with "government work." Don't expect "civil servants" to know what's going on. If government employees are operating for "political gain," anything could happen.

Just remember all of this when you want the Feds to take over your health care. There's a lot of Canuks down here getting the treatments they can't get for years (or the rest of their lives) up there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Uh oh ... now you did it.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
I worked at JSC-NASA for several years. With no malice towards anyone, that place was about as screwed up as one can achieve with "government work." Don't expect "civil servants" to know what's going on. If government employees are operating for "political gain," anything could happen.

Just remember all of this when you want the Feds to take over your health care. There's a lot of Canuks down here getting the treatments they can't get for years (or the rest of their lives) up there.
Most of the U.S. is going to Thailand!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #44

Here. Here's some more "liberal media":

Quote:
[CNN poll] Should President Bush Pardon Libby?

Yes: 18 percent
No: 69 percent
Don’t Know: 13 percent

NBC’s Andrea Mitchell said tonight on MSNBC:

Quote:
They’re going to try to really tamp this down and appeal to the polling which indicates that most people think, in fact, that he should be pardoned. Scooter Libby should be pardoned.
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/12/...-libby-pardon/

NBC.. not FOX, NBC.
Hope you find that Kool-Aid refreshing...

-------
Charles, the mere fact that Media Matters owns up to being a site with a 'progressive' agenda is irrelevant in the light of the FACTS that they are presenting. If they say:
Quote:
On the Sunday after the midterm elections, in which Democrats took control of Congress for the first time in a dozen years, viewers tuned in to NBC's Meet the Press to hear what the Democratic win meant for the country -- only to discover that host Tim Russert did not have any Democrats on at all. Instead, Russert's guests were Republican Sen. John McCain (AZ) and Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (CT), who ran in the general election as an Independent after losing the Democratic primary. And after an election in which the public's opposition to the Iraq war was a central issue, Meet the Press hosted two guests who support the war.
..this is verifiable.. not an opinion.

In a 50/50 Republican/Democrat country (or 49/51 or 51/49 or however you want to view it) to have Republican media voices significantly outnumber Democratic ones is dis-heartening. If you were to show me proof that it's somehow the other way around, I would endeavor to be sympathetic in that instance, as well, but it just ain't so.

Just the mere fact that Tom DeLay has his sleazy, corrupt mug all over the airwaves, even after being run out on a rail with help from his own party, is testament enough. In a self-respecting society he'd be in stocks in the public square. If I were a Republican I would be embarassed and ashamed to see him 'represent' me. But who said we're a self-respecting society anymore..?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #45

Quote:
In a 50/50 Republican/Democrat country (or 49/51 or 51/49 or however you want to view it) to have Republican media voices significantly outnumber Democratic ones is dis-heartening.
That is an interesting perspective, with which I'll respectfully disagree ... I see the reverse as true, and has been for many, many years.

I'll bet Bush doesn't view the media as so Republican ...

Frankly, research supports the fact that journalists as a group lean left as they vote:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp

Consider additional examples of left bias, regarding various issues:
http://www.aim.org/special_report/5198_0_8_0_C/
http://www.mrc.org/SpecialReports/20.../sum090806.asp
http://www.mrc.org/SpecialReports/20...21906_exec.asp
http://www.aim.org/aim_report/5287_0_4_0_C/

Select a few sources for additional research ... all biased, of course:
http://www.causecommunications.com/f.../watchdog.html ... a biased watchdog of the watchdogs ... :

I think it is natural that folks see the media biased against their own views ... when we see a news story / slant we agree with, we pass on by, but when one seems to have an opposite slant, it may get our hackles up. And, the stronger our bias, the greater our reaction.

Personally, I think the liberal angst over the media isn't because the media has now leaned to the right ... it is because the media has added some voices from the middle and the right, and that small movement is troubling to the left. [And, the media management has probably done so because the media was so out of sync with the country ... it was a business decision because some networks lost share by being so out of whack.]

Many folks still see the media as left-leaning.

But, it is all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #46

The problem with journalism today is that journalist want to CREATE the news rather than REPORT the news.

For example, look at Bob Woodward ... he makes 2m/year playing a journalist on TV. Gets hurt in Iraq ... then gets a 1 hour "special report" re-creating the day he was injured :P :P.

Now if the 1 hour "special" covered the volunteer troops who were protecting him - or better yet protecting the Iraq people ... journalism today might have SOME shread of credability. But not today, journalists want to be IN the news (not covering the news)

DISCLAIMER - I am not making "light" of Woodward's injuries. What happened to him was regretable.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles

I think it is natural that folks see the media biased against their own views ... when we see a news story / slant we agree with, we pass on by, but when one seems to have an opposite slant, it may get our hackles up. And, the stronger our bias, the greater our reaction.

Well this is certainly something I can agree with. My problem is the biased reporting on both sides is more and more an accepted occurance. People are quick to write it off and just say, "don't hate the player, hate the game". Journalists are given exclusive privileges in this country (as I think they should), they should also be held accountable for the responsibility that comes with that.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #48

Quote:
The problem with journalism today
Today!?

;-)
Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #49

yup, another one "grabbing" the spot light. Was going to use Rivera as the example ... but I couldn't remember the specifics of all the a$$anine stunts he's pulled (all totally forgetable).
Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #50

I thought it was interesting that a couple of years ago, a poll was run (can't remember by who, probably could Google it up) that a majority of those who watched Fox news believed that Iraq had something to do with 9/11. Those who relied on other, more truthful, neworks for their news did not share this belief.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
That is an interesting perspective, with which I'll respectfully disagree ... I see the reverse as true, and has been for many, many years.

I'll bet Bush doesn't view the media as so Republican ...

Frankly, research supports the fact that journalists as a group lean left as they vote:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp)
Yeah, that's an independent source. :

http://www.mrc.org/about/aboutwelcome.asp

"On October 1, 1987, a group of young determined conservatives set out to not only prove — through sound scientific research — that liberal bias in the media does exist and undermines traditional American values...."

Of course, the corporate owners are conservative, or at least pro-business. Eight Seven corporations own the majority of the nation's newspapers and radio and TV stations.

What happened when an ABC reporter wanted to report on crappy labor conditions at Disney? The story was squashed. Who owns ABC? Disney.

Here's the poll from 2/18/2005.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=544

"# 47 percent believe that Saddam Hussein helped plan and support the hijackers who attacked the U.S. on September 11, 2001 (up six percentage points from November)."