Join Early Retirement Today

Now answer this article.. Why is he still alive?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
gone traveling

Now answer this article.. Why is he still alive?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/wo...6jihad.html?hp

If we are taking out terrorists worldwide??
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Now answer this article.. Why is he still alive?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, if the NYT was working WITH us - instead of AGAINST us - we would have the exact location of these animals. Then there would be no problem. 8)
Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #3

I don't usually get involved in politically fueled internet threads However, this post begs another question: Why in the hell is Bin Laden STILL on the loose? With all of the advanced satellite technology we have, we can't "find" him?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Well, if the NYT was working WITH us - instead of AGAINST us - we would have the exact location of these animals. Then there would be no problem. 8)
So, you think that the Press should be a tool of the government like it is in dictatorships in the middle east? What part of freedom don't you understand?
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I don't usually get involved in politically fueled internet threads However, this post begs another question: Why in the hell is Bin Laden STILL on the loose? With all of the advanced satellite technology we have, we can't "find" him?
Yep. Technology can help, but what we need is a good snitch. Those are hard to come by, particularly because Stansfield Turner and do-gooders in the Carter administration decided that in-person spying was beneath the US's dignity and that we could depend on technology instead. They significantly cut back on funding for HUMINT, and put restrictions on how it can be performed. Stupid. And it's not something that can be fixed overnight--it often takes decades to build reliable sources. Many public articles have been written about the poor intel we had on Iraq--this is one major reason.

(In fairness, the restrictions on HUMINT came partly as a response to abuses by the intelligence community--search under "Church Commission" for more info. Still, the response by Carter and his belief in a technological answer was idiotic. We risk the same thing happening again if the present package of more aggressive collection techniques is seen as abusive.)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:

What part of freedom don't you understand?
If one seeks out an enemy for the sole purpose of collecting/sharing information they are walking a fine line between freedom of the press and treason .

Old 03-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If one seeks out an enemy for the sole purpose of collecting/sharing information they are walking a fine line between freedom of the press and treason .
In my opinion the press, who risk their lives every day to try to tell the world what
is going on in places like Iraq and Lebanon, are true heroes.

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would rather read/hear about stories in the press from the good things happening in the world. I like happy fluffy stuff.

Unfortunately, bad things is what sells news in our society.

I stopped watching/reading the news years ago... too depressing. If it's important enough that I need to know about it, then somebody will tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
In my opinion the press, who risk their lives every day to try to tell the world what
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Weelll, let's agree the "true" heroes are the volunteer troops fighting this war. And they do it earning a fraction of the pay the press makes covering the war.

But to understand my "treason" point we need to look at the motivation of the terrorists. WHY do you suppose these animals agreed to do this interview/article with the NYT. Was it:

a) FREE PUBLICITY - unlikely. Thier distrust, dislike, and distain of America/Americans would overrule any value to a 1/2 page ad/article in an American News Paper. Also thier limited understanding of freedom would put limited value to such an article.

b) $$ - were they PAID for the article? We'll never know. But if so, how many future suicide bombs/bombers did the NYT just pay for.

c) Info/Tech Exchange - being holed up in a third world country leaves you hungry to trade information and technology; both of which will help in the future.

2 of the 3 are NOT in favor of freedom of the press. Why else do you suppose the terrorists would risk being exposed by the very people they distrust?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

why is a) unlikely?? They release videos more often then a rap star! They are doing interviews on Al Jazeera constantly. They want to get their message out. People don't fight us for no reason, this is an ideological war, and they do want their ideology to win. A is absolutely the reason.

/rant/
I personally have a very big problem with the war on the press right now. Cut public news funding, marginalize mainstream news, only get your news from talking head blowhards that tell you what to think rather than what is going on. O'Rielly touts that his ratings beat all the actual news programs on a regular basis - as if that's a good thing - then we are told the media is left leaning. Wah? O'Rielly, Rush, and the rest effectively ARE the media now. No one bothers to broadcast or listen to objective news anymore. It's Rush and Fox News vs. Keith Olberman and Air America. Once the Feds finally pull the plug on PBS and NPR we'll have to get any sort of free objective press from a foreign country. It's disgusting. A free investigative press is often the last line of defense against abuse of power by those in office. This is being slowly taken away while everyone smiles and drools at the latest scoop on Paris Hilton. The issues? Oh, not to worry, my favorite on air hypocrite blow hard will tell me what to think on those.

..../end rant/
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Weelll, let's agree the "true" heroes are the volunteer troops fighting this war. And they do it earning a fraction of the pay the press makes covering the war.
So, you think to honor those "true heroes" is that we set up a government that controls the press just like the Iraqi government did?

- You have very little understanding of how and why this country was formed do you?

Did you go to college?
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
gone traveling

/rant/
I personally have a very big problem with the war on the press right now. Cut public news funding, marginalize mainstream news, only get your news from talking head blowhards that tell you what to think rather than what is going on. O'Rielly touts that his ratings beat all the actual news programs on a regular basis - as if that's a good thing - then we are told the media is left leaning. Wah? O'Rielly, Rush, and the rest effectively ARE the media now. No one bothers to broadcast or listen to objective news anymore. It's Rush and Fox News vs. Keith Olberman and Air America. Once the Feds finally pull the plug on PBS and NPR we'll have to get any sort of free objective press from a foreign country. It's disgusting. A free investigative press is often the last line of defense against abuse of power by those in office. This is being slowly taken away while everyone smiles and drools at the latest scoop on Paris Hilton. The issues? Oh, not to worry, my favorite on air hypocrite blow hard will tell me what to think on those. tickedoff

Oh man I am totally on board here!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
/rant/
I personally have a very big problem with the war on the press right now. Cut public news funding, marginalize mainstream news, only get your news from talking head blowhards that tell you what to think rather than what is going on. O'Rielly touts that his ratings beat all the actual news programs on a regular basis - as if that's a good thing - then we are told the media is left leaning. Wah? O'Rielly, Rush, and the rest effectively ARE the media now. No one bothers to broadcast or listen to objective news anymore. It's Rush and Fox News vs. Keith Olberman and Air America. Once the Feds finally pull the plug on PBS and NPR we'll have to get any sort of free objective press from a foreign country. It's disgusting. A free investigative press is often the last line of defense against abuse of power by those in office. This is being slowly taken away while everyone smiles and drools at the latest scoop on Paris Hilton. The issues? Oh, not to worry, my favorite on air hypocrite blow hard will tell me what to think on those.

..../end rant/
There is news and there are commentators. O'Reiley, Rush and talk radio are commentators. CNN, Fox, CBS, NBC and ABC (amongst others) run what they bill as "news" which should discuss facts but they are overrun with inuendo that slant the story. I've heard both ways but generally see the "lead ins" to be considered non-Bush policies. I can't say that automatically means anti-conservative since so much of what Bush does is definitely non-conservative by any definition I've seen.

A lot of times it's how the "issue" is defined. With Clinton's impeachment it always seemed to be about "his private sex life" in the newsreports. When it was really about perjuy before a grandjury (Sound like a current event that got a whole different exposure in the media?). Wild Bill later pleaded "no contest" to the charge before a judge and lost his law license for awhile. I can only assume our Senate believes perjuy isn't in the group defined by "high crime and misdemeanor."

PBS has long outlived its reason for being. There are no shortages of broadcast outlets so I don't know why my taxes go to a pseudo-govt broadcast business.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

So the first part of your post agrees the news media has become biased, then you finish by saying you don't know why we need PBS. It's precisely because other media is beholden to those who pay their bills that we need PBS. Objective, investigative media is critical. Sunshine is the best disinfectant!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #15

... interesting, no disagreement that 2 of the 3 border on treason. Just rant and insults.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
So the first part of your post agrees the news media has become biased, then you finish by saying you don't know why we need PBS. It's precisely because other media is beholden to those who pay their bills that we need PBS. Objective, investigative media is critical. Sunshine is the best disinfectant!
But I think PBS is blatantly biased. They make hardly any pretenses that they aren't a bunch of far-leftists grinding their axes. I don't think I need to pay for that. I can turn off any of the news shows I want to and I'm not out any money. If I don't listen to PBS I still pay for it.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I, too , believe NPR and PBS are left-leaning. I don't watch much PBS, but I listen to a lot of NPR and I seldom agree with their framing of their stories and interviews. Still, I am happy to send my 2 local stations a check every year. Their coverage is, hands down, the most complete broadcast coverage available of the news.

Should this work be funded with tax dollars? That's a whole different issue. I'm inclined to think not. To the extent taxpayers are funding this, the government has a responsibility to assure the coverage is evenhanded, and that puts them into the position of deciding what the public gets to hear. I don't want govt moderated news coverage.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
But I think PBS is blatantly biased. They make hardly any pretenses that they aren't a bunch of far-leftists grinding their axes. I don't think I need to pay for that. I can turn off any of the news shows I want to and I'm not out any money. If I don't listen to PBS I still pay for it.
Last night their commentator was Newt Gingrich, but I've heard some call him liberal, so I'll drop that point.

Would you care to name a news outlet or source you find to be objective?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
I, too , believe NPR and PBS are left-leaning. I don't watch much PBS, but I listen to a lot of NPR and I seldom agree with their framing of their stories and interviews. Still, I am happy to send my 2 local stations a check every year. Their coverage is, hands down, the most complete broadcast coverage available of the news.

Should this work be funded with tax dollars? That's a whole different issue. I'm inclined to think not. To the extent taxpayers are funding this, the government has a responsibility to assure the coverage is evenhanded, and that puts them into the position of deciding what the public gets to hear. I don't want govt moderated news coverage.

Well, of course they lean to the left of FOX! - which is an entertainment program for the far right. You guys have watched so much right wing TV, you fail to realize when someone is truly in the middle! :
Old 03-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

Well, of course they lean to the left of FOX! - which is an entertainment program for the far right. You guys have watched so much right wing TV, you fail to realize when someone is truly in the middle! :
I'd put them to the left of CBS and CNN, which is saying something.
One big challenge today is that there are so many sources of information. 40 years ago there were three networks, and they could all get a good share of the "eyeballs" by staying fairly close to the middle. One benefit was that most Americans, while they might disagree on how to deal with things, at least agreed on what was actually happening in the world. Also, people got more of their news from print media, which tends to give coverage with more complete contextual information. Today, the radio and TV news coverage fits small boutique demographics. The stories covered and how they are covered is far more diverse, and people are generally onlt watching/listening to the source tey most agree with (that 'ol cognitive dissonance theory again). As a result, we have increasing polarization in the electorate, and have a harder time reaching national consensus.

Iliked the news in Europe when I was there. No flash, no human interest stories, no Natalie Holloway in Aruba, no 55 solid minutes of coverage of a police chase in Detroit. Nope--one talking head who read the news.