Join Early Retirement Today

Now illegal to own a computer in Florida
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Now illegal to own a computer in Florida

Since it is now appears to be illegal to own a computer in Florida, did everyone from Florida disappear from the forum?

Yahoo!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just got down to FL today. I'm heading out to Dave and Buster's to play before they get put out of business.

And I guess I'm writing this comment on an illegal device, and using another illegal device (smartphone as wireless hotspot) for the networking.

I'm curious. Who has the dumbest legislators, FL, NY, or IL? We need a poll.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I just got down to FL today. I'm heading out to Dave and Buster's to play before they get put out of business.

And I guess I'm writing this comment on an illegal device, and using another illegal device (smartphone as wireless hotspot) for the networking.

2 counts huh. Maybe you will get lucky and they will let you serve your time concurrently.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm still trying to get my mind around what the heck this "Internet Cafe" stuff is and why they needed to be banned.

I just thought it was a place you could go to use the Internet - like a coffee shop.

So they have morphed into gambling dens over the past decade?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm still trying to get my mind around what the heck this "Internet Cafe" stuff is and why they needed to be banned.

I just thought it was a place you could go to use the Internet - like a coffee shop.
Reading the lawsuit, it does sounds like they have rows of internet-ready computers available for an hourly fee. Like a coffee shop.

The rest of the details, however, make it sound like their "sweepstakes" screens are really some sort of gambling game.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/files...-complaint.pdf
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

This just seems pretty disturbing. Florida kind of always leave me scratching my head. From election recounts to banning computers. I'm sort of curious if people are getting a little bit too much sun over there.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #7

It seems they did not actually ban computers, but the people they did shut down filed a suit saying the law is to broad and could be applied to any computer.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
Since it is now appears to be illegal to own a computer in Florida, did everyone from Florida disappear from the forum?

Yahoo!
Sounds like another poorly written law.

Post here on ER as your show of 'civil disobedience'
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

So they have morphed into gambling dens over the past decade?
There was a big raid earlier in the year on "allied veterans" essentially a chain of supposedly internet cafes. Essentially they were illegal gaming establishments.

Undercover slot machines expert to be key witness in Allied Vets probe - Florida - MiamiHerald.com
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
It seems they did not actually ban computers, but the people they did shut down filed a suit saying the law is to broad and could be applied to any computer.
I'm familiar with the shutting down of the illegal internet cafes, many of which were here in the Tampa area. Guess what group of people were the most pi$$ed off about this activity being taken away from them. Retirees!
I think retirees are running out of things to do, even in Florida.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
There was a big raid earlier in the year on "allied veterans" essentially a chain of supposedly internet cafes. Essentially they were illegal gaming establishments.

Undercover slot machines expert to be key witness in Allied Vets probe - Florida - MiamiHerald.com
Illegal, indeed. The gov't doesn't want any competition. No harm, big foul.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The legislators we have here in Arizona would give any state legislators a run for their money in a competition for the dumbest.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
The legislators we have here in Arizona would give any state legislators a run for their money in a competition for the dumbest.
No, I think Texas has you beat.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #14

Come to Hong Kong. The Legislative Council is currently voting down any and all proposals to extend the city's rubbish dumps without offering any alternatives. The existing landfills will be full by 2018. I am just glad that we do not have full democracy here.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #15

Florida has the most enterprising criminals, it seems. Florida is also the place that had (has?) pain clinics run by doctors that were actually centers for prescription abuse. So it is right in line that they would have computer centers that are really fronts for illegal gambling. I wonder what will be next from this group?