Now is the winter of our discontent....,

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last edited:
OK, allegedly, edit made!

The Rodney Dangerfield of his time.

LEICESTER, ENGLAND—After authenticating a skeleton exhumed from a parking lot in Northern England as that of British monarch King Richard III, researchers at the University of Leicester agreed that the find was “pretty cool” before tossing the remains back into the ground and heading home.

The Onion

My kingdom for a horse!

I've been enjoying The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory about Anne Neville who was consort to Richard III. The whole War of the Roses thing is just mind-blowing!

Now, understand, that Shakespeare worked for the descendants of his conquerors! Richard III was the last English monarch to die on the battlefield.

Last edited:
. . . made glorious summer by this son of York

I have been enthralled by the coverage. The Guardian in the UK has been particularly thorough. Amazing to be able to match one particular set of human remains to a real historical personage after 527 years.

Those of you who find the discovery of Richard III's remains of interest might also enjoy reading The Daughter of Time for another angle on who killed the Princes in the Tower.

Speaking of whom, I wonder why they didn't try to get DNA from the bones discovered under a staircase in the Tower in 1674 and suspected of being those of the princes, although never positively identified as such. Sequencing the Y chromosomes of all three skeletons would provide a definite answer to the question of whether the bones found in 1674 are those Edward V and his younger brother. Or maybe now that the skeleton from Leicester has been positively ID'd, that's the next item on the agenda.

My kingdom for a horse!

I've been enjoying The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory about Anne Neville who was consort to Richard III. The whole War of the Roses thing is just mind-blowing!

Now, understand, that Shakespeare worked for the descendants of his conquerors! Richard III was the last English monarch to die on the battlefield.

It was from Philippa Gregory's Facebook page that I first learned of the Richard III findings, this morning. I really enjoy her historical novels. I don't care whether they are perfectly historically factual; they offer just enough to pique my interest for further reading in several directions.

For those who like reading such novels, you may also enjoy the novels of Margaret George, who has written several on the Tudors. I especially recommend The Autobiography of Henry VIII.

It was from Philippa Gregory's Facebook page that I first learned of the Richard III findings, this morning. I really enjoy her historical novels. I don't care whether they are perfectly historically factual; they offer just enough to pique my interest for further reading in several directions.

For those who like reading such novels, you may also enjoy the novels of Margaret George, who has written several on the Tudors. I especially recommend The Autobiography of Henry VIII.
I liked that one too.

The Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Kay Penman, is another fictional biography of Richard III.

For followers of Black Adder, series 1, set in the time of Richard III.... (you can watch it on Netflix)

Attachments

• Cunning Plan.JPG
    Cunning Plan.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom