Join Early Retirement Today

Now is the winter of our discontent....,
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now is the winter of our discontent....,

It seems they have found the skeleton of Richard III under a car park in Leicester, England. This is the guy who had scoliosis, allegedly murdered the princes in the Tower, died in battle and was immortalized by Shakespeare in a play.

Video: The remains of Richard III: How the 500 year-old mystery was solved - Telegraph

History buffs are enjoying this one!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ehm, allegedly murdered the princes! ;-)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

OK, allegedly, edit made!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

The Rodney Dangerfield of his time.

Quote:
LEICESTER, ENGLAND—After authenticating a skeleton exhumed from a parking lot in Northern England as that of British monarch King Richard III, researchers at the University of Leicester agreed that the find was “pretty cool” before tossing the remains back into the ground and heading home.
The Onion
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My kingdom for a horse!

I've been enjoying The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory about Anne Neville who was consort to Richard III. The whole War of the Roses thing is just mind-blowing!

Now, understand, that Shakespeare worked for the descendants of his conquerors! Richard III was the last English monarch to die on the battlefield.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Administrator

. . . made glorious summer by this son of York

I have been enthralled by the coverage. The Guardian in the UK has been particularly thorough. Amazing to be able to match one particular set of human remains to a real historical personage after 527 years.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Those of you who find the discovery of Richard III's remains of interest might also enjoy reading The Daughter of Time for another angle on who killed the Princes in the Tower.

Speaking of whom, I wonder why they didn't try to get DNA from the bones discovered under a staircase in the Tower in 1674 and suspected of being those of the princes, although never positively identified as such. Sequencing the Y chromosomes of all three skeletons would provide a definite answer to the question of whether the bones found in 1674 are those Edward V and his younger brother. Or maybe now that the skeleton from Leicester has been positively ID'd, that's the next item on the agenda.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

The Rose of York Trilogy is also about King Richard III from birth to death. It was a facinating read. Amazon.com: rose of york: Books
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those who are more visually inclined:
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My kingdom for a horse!

I've been enjoying The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillipa Gregory about Anne Neville who was consort to Richard III. The whole War of the Roses thing is just mind-blowing!

Now, understand, that Shakespeare worked for the descendants of his conquerors! Richard III was the last English monarch to die on the battlefield.
It was from Philippa Gregory's Facebook page that I first learned of the Richard III findings, this morning. I really enjoy her historical novels. I don't care whether they are perfectly historically factual; they offer just enough to pique my interest for further reading in several directions.

For those who like reading such novels, you may also enjoy the novels of Margaret George, who has written several on the Tudors. I especially recommend The Autobiography of Henry VIII.
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
It was from Philippa Gregory's Facebook page that I first learned of the Richard III findings, this morning. I really enjoy her historical novels. I don't care whether they are perfectly historically factual; they offer just enough to pique my interest for further reading in several directions.

For those who like reading such novels, you may also enjoy the novels of Margaret George, who has written several on the Tudors. I especially recommend The Autobiography of Henry VIII.
I liked that one too.

The Sunne in Splendour, by Sharon Kay Penman, is another fictional biography of Richard III.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Administrator

For followers of Black Adder, series 1, set in the time of Richard III.... (you can watch it on Netflix)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cunning Plan.JPG (30.2 KB, 64 views)