Join Early Retirement Today

Now this is gotta hurt....
Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1004/p02s01-usec.html

It sure must suck to think you are going to retire with $140K pension, and maybe end up with only $28K instead....

Something tells me there will be a lot more stories like this in the decades to come.... as coporate america basically walks away from the promises they made to their employees, and once again, the taxpayers are left holding the bag.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Now this is gotta hurt....
Old 10-04-2004, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
What you mean is:
Quote:
Now this has gotta hurt
Unless you're speaking Ebonics
Old 10-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Years (many years) ago I worked for USDOL. During an audit an employee asked me about their retirement program. This was before 401(k)s, IRAs and the like. I told him that if he were making decisions based on that retirement promise to examine the program carefully and related what happened to a friend of my Mother's when the promise of retirement was just that and the company folded. The employer made a BIG fuss to my boss.

As great as defined benefit plans are, they are are only promises and in my opinion much riskier than a 401(k) or IRA managed by an employee who educates her/him self.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Quote:

As great as defined benefit plans are, they are are only promises and in my opinion much riskier than a 401(k) or IRA managed by an employee who educates her/him self.
If you are referring to examples like the Steel Industry and the Airlines, i.e. companies that must make a profict to survive, then I must agree.

Knowing what I know now, if I could apply it to what I didn't know then, I just would have started my present public sector non-profit career at a younger age. The chances of my DBP going bust are nil, it is so conservatively invested that they administrators actually were able to enhance the benefits a few years ago.

The tradeoff is there is no chance of ever becoming wealthy. My peers doing the same type of work in the private sector can possibly get in position to make the jump to truely large dollars, or even ownership. We can only look forward to steady employment (mostly, we did see peers laid of during the last year, but that is a rarity) at steady wages at the low end of the scale for the work performed and the responsibilities entailed.

In effect Public Sector jobs have negotiated over the decades really excellent benefits (health, leave, etc) to compenstate for lack of competitive pay. The upside I'm finding is at the end of the rainbow that is FIRE we're in pretty good shape, with a decent payout without risk.We're the turtles.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Dad retired from United Airlines in 1980 at the mandatory age 60 for pilots. He took his retirement benefits as a lump sum which he invested in bonds that averaged 13% or more. As he has watched the changes in United, he is so happy that he made that decision.

KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:16 AM   #6

The shortest job interview I ever had was with Macy's Department Stores when I was fresh out of college.

Interviewer: "So, we're going to begin the high-pressure portion of your interview."

Me: "Fine. Do you mind if I start?"

Interviewer (startled): "No, not at all."

Me: "I was reading in the WSJ last night that Macy's is reneging on pension plan benefits. How can you assure me that Macy's won't treat me in the same way if I build a career with this company?"

Interviewer (standing): "Thanks for coming in today."
Old 10-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I agree with JohnyM that the public sector employee is well positioned in retirement. Public sector retirees can sue their employer if their program changes and have had good results.

Federal employees (CSRS) will be treated just like SS beneficiaries-no venue there. Private sector retirees in defined benefit plans, particularly those highly paid, are at high risk if their employer reneges.

Each of us should counsel the young workers in our family about life's risks and rewards.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:54 AM   #8

Please be aware that CSRS no longer exists except for those who were already in it in 1986. The program now for federal employees is FERS, and is different.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:20 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Having a defined benefit plan is like having a 401k plan where your only holding is company stock. In both cases, your entire future rests on the company lasting the entire 60 years of a working/retirement cycle.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

For those who don't know, FERS is the retirement plan available to Federal employees and is similar to a 401(k). CSRS is a defined benefit plan for Federal employees hired before 1986. Those hired before 1986 are in CSRS in whole or part.

I agree with Michael- a defined benifit plan is akin to having all your 401(k) in company stock (shades of ENRON).
Old 10-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Having a defined benefit plan is like having a 401k plan where your only holding is company stock. *In both cases, your entire future rests on the company lasting the entire 60 years of a working/retirement cycle.
This is true of annuities or life insurance too.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote