Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I like your way of thinking Ziggy!

I thought of trying the same thing.

Were you using outdoor rooftop antennas?

summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I threw up a couple of antennas...
That's quite a trick!

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's quite a trick!
They are very difficult to digest if they aren't prepared correctly.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I threw up a couple of antennas...
Does that hurt more than passing a Kidney Stone?
LoftyNotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Here, let me:

Remember when you'd sit in the theater for 20 minutes before the movie with the lights up, no sound or screen shows, and nothing to look at but the stage curtains and the other patrons? You'd actually have to think of something to chat about with your date. People would even applaud when the lights went down and the curtains opened up to show the big blank screen. It must have given the career advertisers fits to have to live through those agonizing commercial-free (and revenue-free) minutes.

Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
[*] The commercials are being played to a truly "captive audience" on an unfair playing field. The majority of people arrive early to a movie to get good seats, and advertisers count on that.
I walked out of Pearl Highlands a few months ago (Hear that, Pearl Highlands management? Yeah, you guys in Pearl City, Hawaii at the intersection of Kamehameha Highway and Acacia Drive! This discussion board does search-engine optimization and your theater sucks!!) when they started looping a two-minute video ad for "Man vs. Food" at high volume. You would think that the theater management would want to encourage consumption of their products, but if you've ever seen the show then you know what effect it has.

In over seven years of ER, with hypothetically unlimited time to spend money do whatever we want, we've only gone to one family movie ("School of Rock") and I've only gone to 17 more on my own. For me that works out to one movie every five months and the rate is dropping.

However this house has seen countless Disney titles and Netflix DVDs. There's no reason to go to a theater anymore unless the home subwoofer blows out.

It's a vicious death spiral. Theaters are trying harder and harder to raise revenue, and someday they'll be showing an hour of commercials to an audience of three people. Two of whom will be playing with their cell phones, and the third who'll be talking on theirs.

Either that or you'll be able to vote with your wallet: $8 for the latest flick, or $12 for the latest commercial-free flick.

But perhaps movie theaters are cheaper than the alternative. I can't wait for a la cart cable TV pricing. About the only reason this house has a cable subscription is for HGTV, which is costing us over $633/year for the privilege. Of course it also equates to less than a penny per minute of viewing time...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #26
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We've thought about ditching pay TV completely.
It's not really an option here, as we discovered when we moved. There are only three broadcast channels available, two of which are full-time religion channels and those were fuzzy. Well, that's the way it was when we moved.

We haven't been to a movie in years either. It's just less effort and cheaper to wait a few months for the DVD, our floor doesn't have spilled coke and popcorn on it, some yahoo isn't yakking, no fatheads sit in front, and the DVD player has a "pause" button.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #27
What is really annoying is that they don't change the commericials so if you see more than one movie, you see the same stuff, especially the trivia. And the local chain (Harkins) has this annoying host who talks about the thinly disguised informercials (a music video for example). And I consider movie previews commericials too, especially when none of them look interesting.
Angels danced on the day that you were born.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Hmmmmm - haven't been to a movie theaters in years..... Guess I won't be returning any time soon!

We always have to take our ear plugs anyway. The one time we forgot our ear plugs (a Star Wars sequel no less - we just about went out of our minds with the loudness!)? Well, my husband asked me if I still had those gummy bears in my purse, and yes, they worked reasonably well.

audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I get to the movies 15 minutes after the feature is due to start. The only exception is for a movie I know will be very popular. I know I have to get there early for some things just to get a seat, especially if they are appearing for less than a week at the local mall. Movies that I saw within the last year that were packed were: Gran Torino, The Wrestler, The Reader, Milk.

WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote