Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Nuclear Parts Sent To Taiwan In Error
Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nuclear Parts Sent To Taiwan In Error

Oops... they ordered a helicopter battery and got a fuse for a Minuteman nuclear warhead instead. I hate it when this happens. It occurred in 2006, and Taiwan has been trying to return the fuse ever since.

Having worked on the Minuteman when I was active duty, I can just imagine the conversations back and forth. Bet there's a whole lot of 'splaining going on and DD Forms being dug up.

washingtonpost.com
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Is this a Tempest in a Teapot?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this a Tempest in a Teapot?

My understanding is that this was an electronic part from a 60's/70's era weapons system. It wasn't a nuclear trigger (a small nuclear bomb), or a nuclear weapon. It was very old technology. The media loves to scare us (or we wouldn't listen to them) by constantly talking about nuclear weapons, when no nuclear material was involved.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
My understanding is that this was an electronic part from a 60's/70's era weapons system. It wasn't a nuclear trigger (a small nuclear bomb), or a nuclear weapon. It was very old technology. The media loves to scare us (or we wouldn't listen to them) by constantly talking about nuclear weapons, when no nuclear material was involved.
Scare Tactics maybe.

This sort of reminds me of the so called WMD's in Iraq (which we never found)and the contentions by Rice and others about the mushroom clouds & the fathom nukes.

Maybe what happened is that DOD shipped Taiwan a $500 toilet seat and this is a way for them to save face.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougViages View Post
Well, yes and no. I didn't mean to imply this was a nuclear trigger. It was, as you say, an electronic part that controls the process to set off the nuclear trigger. But let's not underestimate the seriousness of this screwup. Yes, this is 60s technology, but the whole Minuteman system is 60s and 70s technology. And those electronics are part of the code system that is one of the most highly classified portions of any military system, especially nuclear ones. In some ways, release of codes or coding systems is almost more dangerous than release of the nukes themselves.

So, here's hoping some heads will roll over this and that procedures are tightened. After all, this is the second incident in a year, remember the six warheads flying around on the B52?
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote