NYSE Closed for Good Friday

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
I notice the NYSE is closed for Good Friday.

But of course. All those guys out on the floor have to take a break from shouting and jostling one another and making shady deals, to go to church in order to fall on their knees and pray for salvation of their eternal souls. Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm religious - - I'm not - - but somehow there's a disconnect!

Hey, Japan was closed Thursday for "Vernal Equinox Day." You say po-tay-to, I say po-taa-to...

My suspicion is that it is a poor translation of whatever the Japanese were really celebrating, but who knows?

Sounds like fun, though - - I wish I had Vernal Equinox Day off (or if that's not in the cards, then just regular old Good Friday would be fine). The sky is blue and the sun is shining in New Orleans.

Not that I have any great need to fall on my knees and pray, at the moment...

my yahoo home page still shows dow up 2.2. i couldn't decide if there was something wrong with yahoo or my calendar. but today was garbage day so it must be either friday or tuesday. early retirement can get so confusing. thank you for the clarification.

my yahoo home page still shows dow up 2.2. i couldn't decide if there was something wrong with yahoo or my calendar. but today was garbage day so it must be either friday or tuesday. early retirement can get so confusing. thank you for the clarification.

Glad to be of help. We have the same garbage days so if you ever get confused, just let me know. ;)

I've been wondering why the NYSE is closed, too. It's not a federal holiday, and they don't seem like a particularly religious bunch. :rolleyes:

:cool:I'm really surprized you federal employees are working . My late husband was an Engineer with the IRS and he had every holiday off but groundhog day !

What does an Engineer with the IRS do? Software?

Compared to private industry, it may seem like the Feds have alot of holidays, but they really don't compared to my mega-corp job. The Feds get the Federal Holidays like Columbus and Presidents day, but not the day after Thksgiving or Good Friday AND Easter Monday like mega-corp.

:cool:I'm really surprized you federal employees are working . My late husband was an Engineer with the IRS and he had every holiday off but groundhog day !
What does an Engineer with the IRS do? Software?

Compared to private industry, it may seem like the Feds have alot of holidays, but they really don't compared to my mega-corp job. The Feds get the Federal Holidays like Columbus and Presidents day, but not the day after Thksgiving or Good Friday AND Easter Monday like mega-corp.
There are ten Federal holidays per year:
2008 Federal Holidays

I think they should add Vernal Equinox Day!!! :2funny: Just kidding - - we have ten holidays, which is plenty and I have no complaints. I just thought it was unusual that the NYSE chose Good Friday as a holiday. Why not Groundhog Day?

By late 2009, I will start getting 365 holidays/year (366 on Leap Years), and I am dreaming of ER again today.

Last edited:
At least they don't celebrate White Day. In Japan it involves white underwear as gifts to the ladies.

Sounds like fun, though - - I wish I had Vernal Equinox Day off (or if that's not in the cards, then just regular old Good Friday would be fine).

Having Vernal Equinox Day off was fun!!! So was having off today for Good Friday!!! Not having to deal with bosses, and co-w*rkers, and deadlines, and all the rest of that cr*p! Oh, wait........I have every day off! Every day is a holiday off! Every day is fun!!! :D

You're not too far away from these endless holidays.......only about 596 days away isn't?

I was up at the coffee shop the other day, and someone asked what I was up to that day. I told them that I was up there to celebrate. They asked what it was that I was celebrating, and I told them that I was celebrating 'Tuesday'! :)

There are ten Federal holidays per year:
2008 Federal Holidays

At my former j*b, we had Lincoln's BD off instead of Washington's. And we never had Columbus Day off. Several years ago, they took away our personal BD, and replaced it with MLK Day. Then the following year, we traded MLK Day for a personal day (which made up for our lost personal BD), and we also traded Good Friday for the day after Thanksgiving. I admire MLK and his achievements, but I really didn't want a holiday in the middle of the coldest month of the year

So we had: Lincoln's BD, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving AND the day after, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Eve and Day......plus one floating personal day. And if we were well behaved children, and took off 6 or less sick days, they added 2 additional personal days to our 'bank' the next year! :D

My suspicion is that it is a poor translation of whatever the Japanese were really celebrating, but who knows?

No, it really was Vernal Equinox Day (春分の日, Shunbun no Hi). There's an Autumnal Equinox Day holiday, too. No less logical a holiday than New Year's Day, is it?

:2funny: "Vernal Equinox Day"? That is hilarious. It sounds like Groundhog Day but a little delayed.

Yeah, then they have Autumnal Equinox day in september, Ocean Day in July, Sports day in October, etc. Oh, Golden Week is coming in late April/early May. Anything for a holiday!:D

R

This thread got me curious about French holidays. Per attached link, the holidays don't seem excessive though the vacation is as follows:

"Under the law, every, French citizen is entitled to 5 weeks of vacation." I knew they were generous over there though I didn't think it was that much. And I wonder if that means that a college grad entering the workforce receives 5 weeks and a 30 year man receives the same 5 weeks?

French National Holidays, Festivals, Religious Celebrations

At least they don't celebrate White Day. In Japan it involves white underwear as gifts to the ladies.

Not really, more like white chocolates, to all the office ladies who gave you chocolates on valentines. If you are a guy, and not gay, never give anything to anyone on Valentines day in Japan...they'll think you are nuts...

R

This is usually how I find out that it's a holiday. I take a look at the market daily graph, and when it shows a full day instead of a few hours, I check my watch to see if it's Saturday or Sunday. If not, I ask DW "Hey, is it some kind of a holiday today?"

This is usually how I find out that it's a holiday. I take a look at the market daily graph, and when it shows a full day instead of a few hours, I check my watch to see if it's Saturday or Sunday. If not, I ask DW "Hey, is it some kind of a holiday today?"

Then you have to figure out what kind of holiday it is:

NYSE closed?
Schools closed?
Local government offices closed?
Trash pick up?
Mail delivery?

If I'm not mistaken, the "Vernal Equinox" was the earliest version of today's colonoscopy........^-^
Correct me on that if I'm wrong, Rich in Tampa...:confused:

Jeepers, I just misread the thread title as "NYSE Closed For Good.....Friday".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom