Join Early Retirement Today

NYSE Closed for Good Friday
Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Administrator

NYSE Closed for Good Friday

I notice the NYSE is closed for Good Friday.

But of course. All those guys out on the floor have to take a break from shouting and jostling one another and making shady deals, to go to church in order to fall on their knees and pray for salvation of their eternal souls. Uh huh.

Not that I'm religious - - I'm not - - but somehow there's a disconnect!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, Japan was closed Thursday for "Vernal Equinox Day." You say po-tay-to, I say po-taa-to...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hey, Japan was closed Thursday for "Vernal Equinox Day." You say po-tay-to, I say po-taa-to...
"Vernal Equinox Day"? That is hilarious. It sounds like Groundhog Day but a little delayed.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My suspicion is that it is a poor translation of whatever the Japanese were really celebrating, but who knows?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Administrator

Sounds like fun, though - - I wish I had Vernal Equinox Day off (or if that's not in the cards, then just regular old Good Friday would be fine). The sky is blue and the sun is shining in New Orleans.

Not that I have any great need to fall on my knees and pray, at the moment...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my yahoo home page still shows dow up 2.2. i couldn't decide if there was something wrong with yahoo or my calendar. but today was garbage day so it must be either friday or tuesday. early retirement can get so confusing. thank you for the clarification.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
my yahoo home page still shows dow up 2.2. i couldn't decide if there was something wrong with yahoo or my calendar. but today was garbage day so it must be either friday or tuesday. early retirement can get so confusing. thank you for the clarification.
Glad to be of help. We have the same garbage days so if you ever get confused, just let me know.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been wondering why the NYSE is closed, too. It's not a federal holiday, and they don't seem like a particularly religious bunch.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm really surprized you federal employees are working . My late husband was an Engineer with the IRS and he had every holiday off but groundhog day !
Old 03-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My late husband was an Engineer with the IRS and he had every holiday off but groundhog day !
Being an engineer at the IRS must have made every day seem like Groundhog Day...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #11

What does an Engineer with the IRS do? Software?

Compared to private industry, it may seem like the Feds have alot of holidays, but they really don't compared to my mega-corp job. The Feds get the Federal Holidays like Columbus and Presidents day, but not the day after Thksgiving or Good Friday AND Easter Monday like mega-corp.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What does an Engineer with the IRS do? .

Not much but if forced to they appraise buildings and other assests .

Internal Revenue Manual - 4.48.1 Overview of Engineering Program
Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm really surprized you federal employees are working . My late husband was an Engineer with the IRS and he had every holiday off but groundhog day !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What does an Engineer with the IRS do? Software?

Compared to private industry, it may seem like the Feds have alot of holidays, but they really don't compared to my mega-corp job. The Feds get the Federal Holidays like Columbus and Presidents day, but not the day after Thksgiving or Good Friday AND Easter Monday like mega-corp.
There are ten Federal holidays per year:
2008 Federal Holidays

I think they should add Vernal Equinox Day!!! Just kidding - - we have ten holidays, which is plenty and I have no complaints. I just thought it was unusual that the NYSE chose Good Friday as a holiday. Why not Groundhog Day?

By late 2009, I will start getting 365 holidays/year (366 on Leap Years), and I am dreaming of ER again today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

At least they don't celebrate White Day. In Japan it involves white underwear as gifts to the ladies.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Sounds like fun, though - - I wish I had Vernal Equinox Day off (or if that's not in the cards, then just regular old Good Friday would be fine).
Having Vernal Equinox Day off was fun!!! So was having off today for Good Friday!!! Not having to deal with bosses, and co-w*rkers, and deadlines, and all the rest of that cr*p! Oh, wait........I have every day off! Every day is a holiday off! Every day is fun!!!

You're not too far away from these endless holidays.......only about 596 days away isn't?

I was up at the coffee shop the other day, and someone asked what I was up to that day. I told them that I was up there to celebrate. They asked what it was that I was celebrating, and I told them that I was celebrating 'Tuesday'!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #16

Quote:
There are ten Federal holidays per year:
2008 Federal Holidays
At my former j*b, we had Lincoln's BD off instead of Washington's. And we never had Columbus Day off. Several years ago, they took away our personal BD, and replaced it with MLK Day. Then the following year, we traded MLK Day for a personal day (which made up for our lost personal BD), and we also traded Good Friday for the day after Thanksgiving. I admire MLK and his achievements, but I really didn't want a holiday in the middle of the coldest month of the year

So we had: Lincoln's BD, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving AND the day after, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Eve and Day......plus one floating personal day. And if we were well behaved children, and took off 6 or less sick days, they added 2 additional personal days to our 'bank' the next year!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
My suspicion is that it is a poor translation of whatever the Japanese were really celebrating, but who knows?
No, it really was Vernal Equinox Day (春分の日, Shunbun no Hi). There's an Autumnal Equinox Day holiday, too. No less logical a holiday than New Year's Day, is it?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #18

Quote:
"Vernal Equinox Day"? That is hilarious. It sounds like Groundhog Day but a little delayed.
Yeah, then they have Autumnal Equinox day in september, Ocean Day in July, Sports day in October, etc. Oh, Golden Week is coming in late April/early May. Anything for a holiday!

R
Old 03-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread got me curious about French holidays. Per attached link, the holidays don't seem excessive though the vacation is as follows:

"Under the law, every, French citizen is entitled to 5 weeks of vacation." I knew they were generous over there though I didn't think it was that much. And I wonder if that means that a college grad entering the workforce receives 5 weeks and a 30 year man receives the same 5 weeks?

French National Holidays, Festivals, Religious Celebrations
Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
At least they don't celebrate White Day. In Japan it involves white underwear as gifts to the ladies.
Not really, more like white chocolates, to all the office ladies who gave you chocolates on valentines. If you are a guy, and not gay, never give anything to anyone on Valentines day in Japan...they'll think you are nuts...

R