Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Obama and the politics of race
Old 03-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Obama and the politics of race

Letj wrote, in part
Quote:
Conspiracy theories run rampant in black communities. Where have you been? Can you blame them?
I've been right here. And I've seen and heard it, just as you have. And I take every opportunity to challenge the conspiracy theory whackos every chance I get. And i wouldn't vote for a candidate who surrounded himself with them. Those who just nod their heads (whether sitting in a pew or not) only contribute to the problem. It's condescending and insulting to blacks in the extreme to assume that logic won't work with "them." "They" are "us".

Quote:
It breaks my heart that as a nation we sit back and watch young black men die, black babies abandoned in foster care and we do nothing while we spend billions in Iraq. Would we be so casual if the same was happening on a large scale in white America? I think we all know the answer. I believe I am my brother's keeper.
"It" is happening on a large scale in what you call "white America" (and what Rev Wright calls the "U S of KKK A"). More white kids than black ones giving their lives in Iraq. More white people in poverty than black.

To anyone who wants to be his brother's keeper, I would recommend this:
-- While "keeping him," don't "keep him down" by hobbling him with low expectations and enforced dependency on others.
-- Be a do-gooder with your own resources, not those taken from other people. It's only charity if it is given freely.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Letj wrote, in part
I've been right here. And I've seen and heard it, just as you have. And I take every opportunity to challenge the conspiracy theory whackos every chance I get. And i wouldn't vote for a candidate who surrounded himself with them. Those who just nod their heads (whether sitting in a pew or not) only contribute to the problem. It's condescending and insulting to blacks in the extreme to assume that logic won't work with "them." "They" are "us".

"It" is happening on a large scale in what you call "white America" (and what Rev Wright calls the "U S of KKK A"). More white kids than black ones giving their lives in Iraq. More white people in poverty than black.

To anyone who wants to be his brother's keeper, I would recommend this:
-- While "keeping him," don't "keep him down" by hobbling him with low expectations and enforced dependency on others.
-- Be a do-gooder with your own resources, not those taken from other people. It's only charity if it is given freely.
Obviously, there's a deep philosophical difference between the way we see the world. I just want to point out, that you would expect in a country that's 75% white, more of them would give their lives in Iraq so I really don't get your point. It is a fact that a disproportionate number of blacks are in the army as compared to their makeup in the general population. I am sure you know why. They are also dying at a disproportionate number in Iraq. Close to half of blacks live in poverty and only a tiny number of whites do. I was not in any way suggesting that you keep blacks down with low expectations? How did you come to that conclusion? I was arguing for understanding and the need to keep an open mind. I am so done with this topic. Good night Samclem. You and I have never been able to agree on this forum. I represent a different side of the spectrum.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

And with that, I'd respectfully suggest we lock this down.

"Say good night, Gracie"

"Good night, Gracie"
Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Obviously, there's a deep philosophical difference between the way we see the world. I just want to point out, that you would expect in a country that's 75% white, more of them would give their lives in Iraq so I really don't get your point. It is a fact that a disproportionate number of blacks are in the army as compared to their makeup in the general population. I am sure you know why. They are also dying at a disproportionate number in Iraq. Close to half of blacks live in poverty and only a tiny number of whites do. I was not in any way suggesting that you keep blacks down with low expectations? How did you come to that conclusion? I was arguing for understanding and the need to keep an open mind. I am so done with this topic. Good night Samclem. You and I have never been able to agree on this forum. I represent a different side of the spectrum.
Here are some stats on the Military. People speculate about the reason for the numbers. I think it is related to low income people getting an opportunity and education. The fact that we are in a war today just makes it political fodder.

http://www.prb.org/Source/ACF1396.pdf

I joined the USMC as a kid out of high school. It helped pay for my education. It is one of the most positive experiences in my life. I think the military is a good thing for a young man or woman... especially if they led an undisciplined and unstructured life as a young person. It teaches discipline and responsibility.

The military is not some race conspiracy. The stats are most likely driven by economics. If those people who join take advantage of the benefits (part of their pay) for being in the military they can improve themselves economically.

If the military offers someone the opportunity to get out of an inner city neighborhood and expand their horizons... it is a good thing.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
Administrator

At Samclem's request, I am locking the thread. Let's take a breather.