Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post

You know, like Cheney is the behind-the-scene guy for Bush.
I thought it was the other way around?

Quote:
Good luck, but Obama is off my list.
Just a guess, but I'd bet he was never *on* your list....

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
These people that Obama associates with will be his "behind-the-scenes" advisors if he becomes president.

If Wright is Obama's VP choice, I'll pass on him too.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a typical white person. Should I be offended? Please tell me, pundits of ER.org. ??
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
I'm a typical white person. Should I be offended? Please tell me, pundits of ER.org. ??
Student, by your asking the question it is obvious you have not reached the void on a permanent basis. When you do you will know when to offend and when to feel offended. Until then leave it to others; it is more advanced than you know. Also, you should not attempt humor, sarcasim heavy lifting, or a souflet.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Student, by your asking the question it is obvious you have not reached the void on a permanent basis. When you do you will know when to offend and when to feel offended. Until then leave it to others; it is more advanced than you know. Also, you should not attempt humor, sarcasim heavy lifting, or a souflet.
Thank you, grasshopper. I will keep that in mind.

You, however, should not attempt spelling.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #26

Quote:
These people that Obama associates with will be his "behind-the-scenes" advisors if he becomes president.

I'd wonder more about who would be his "Karl Rove" than his "Cheney"
Old 03-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #27
gone traveling

typical white person?

OK mr Obama?

Idiot? I think you are.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'm the tokin' white guy in my family...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

With all the recent threads and posts on Mr. Obama here is something to calm us down

ABC News

A tall drink of water who is not to bad on the eyes.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
From my POV, this is a matter of someone looking hard enough and long enough at the speech and interview to find something he insists we should all be offended by.

If you go through life looking for ways to be offended, you will always find them.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If you go through life looking for ways to be offended, you will always find them.
Agreed. Just ask Rev Wright, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Barak Obama, etc - all cut from the same mold it now seems.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
With all the recent threads and posts on Mr. Obama here is something to calm us down

ABC News

A tall drink of water who is not to bad on the eyes.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Very insightful political analysis there from a "typical Obama voter", er fan?, follower?

Her views are obviously very well thought out. It shows that she's really spent a lot of time studying the issues from various perspectives & she's definitely shown me the light as to why Obama is the man to cure all the country's (& probably the entire world's) ills.

Bread & Circuses
Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #33

I think he should have added that she was 'typical for her generation'....in which case i think he would have been absolutely correct. Or perhaps he should have used the word 'average' or said "like a lot of".....

Either way, 99% of those who are pretending offense would never have voted for him any way. But it's a great sound bite for talking heads.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I think he should have added that she was 'typical for her generation'....in which case i think he would have been absolutely correct. Or perhaps he should have used the word 'average' or said "like a lot of".....

Either way, 99% of those who are pretending offense would never have voted for him any way. But it's a great sound bite for talking heads.
What the senator ascribed to his grandmother is not typical for a white person nor is it typical for her generation. There were people of her generation who worked risked their lives and safety to work with minorities for civil rights.

Don't forget that Martin Luther King, Ceasar Chavez and others of every color were members of her generation.

Please don't paint everyone with such generalizations; they taint the good reputation of many people.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #35

Quote:
What the senator ascribed to his grandmother is not typical for a white person nor is it typical for her generation. There were people of her generation who worked risked their lives and safety to work with minorities for civil rights.
And who was threatening their lives and safety? I think those you describe were not typical, they were extraordinary.

Quote:
Don't forget that Martin Luther King, Ceasar Chavez and others of every color were members of her generation.
Nor were they white.

Quote:
Please don't paint everyone with such generalizations; they taint the good reputation of many people.
Who said I was painting everyone? There is a difference between 'typical' and 'every last one.'
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And who was threatening their lives and safety? I think those you describe were not typical, they were extraordinary.

Nor were they white.

Who said I was painting everyone? There is a difference between 'typical' and 'every last one.'
You statement was "I think he should have added that she was 'typical for her generation'....in which case i think he would have been absolutely correct."

There were many more people that were against the discrimination of that era. Some risked their safety; others supported through the legal system, government and voting. As with today's crime issue - there are a few who used violence and got much of the attention.

RE: "Nor were they white"
In your statement you said generation not race; if you correct your statement to race than you are saying the same as the senator.
The definition of the word typical is below (there are many things it does not mean)

All that I am saying is that in this situation; please don't disrespect the previous generation when presenting your point of view.

typ·i·cal /ˈtɪpɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[tip-i-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective 1.of the nature of or serving as a type or representative specimen. 2.conforming to a particular type. 3.Biology. exemplifying most nearly the essential characteristics of a higher group in natural history, and forming the type: the typical genus of a family. 4.characteristic or distinctive: He has the mannerisms typical of his class. 5.pertaining to, of the nature of, or serving as a type or emblem; symbolic.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #37

Quote:

Nor were they white.

I'm glad you set the record straight; it was getting a bit odd to think that Andrew Goodman and Mitchell Schwerner were typical of their generation and not the extraordinary people they were. And it was kinda wrong factually to say many people were typically like Goodman or Schwerner when they were typically like Obama's Grandmother; since when did being a person typical of the prejudice of the times become a really bad thing -- only when we look at it with the hindsight of better sensitivity? It's interesting -- Obama shows compassion for people, like his Grandmother, who were trapped by the prejudice of their times -- and he gets slammed here for maligning the extraordinary people who weren't trapped by the prejudice of their times. Go figure that one!
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #38
Administrator

Old 03-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #39

You mean the people who do not agree with you "doth protest too much"
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #40
Administrator