Obama Speech on Race

I actually heard a news reporter say that he thought that "Obama gave the country a gift today" referring to the speech. Thought that was amusing.

Aw, I think we're having a moment... ((hugs))

I've been thinking about your point, in terms of his choices... And I can't try to speak for obama... But I think that sometimes you make more progress engaging those you do not always agree with than separating yourself- and he did learn a lot of good things from him too. As a black politician it's important for him to have ties with the black community so I think that probably played a role in his connection to that church. He could have totally wimped out of this firestorm, but he took the challenge by the horns and said, allb right let's go there... That to me shows courage.

I have a powerful urge to kiss you full on the mouth.

Not to ruin the moment but, what was his alternative? If he didn't address it wouldn't it remained a cloud over his campaign?

I have a powerful urge to kiss you full on the mouth.

Not to ruin the moment but, what was his alternative? If he didn't address it wouldn't it remained a cloud over his campaign?

he could have denounced Wright as strongly as he did farakan, or taken a more simplified pov on race. but he didn't reduce the discussion down to soundbites - even though the media and pundits decided to glom onto a couple of phrases here or there - i think folks who listened to the whole thing with an open mind (and not to try and find something wrong) found it one of the more thoughtful speeches in our recent history. he chose nuance which is dangerous to do in a political campaign.

There has been a lot of talk about how we are all "inundated" with stereotypes that effect our opinions. I don't want to pursue the Rev Wright discussion of what is understandable and what is loony but I do buy the premise that we make unconscious assumptions about others based on race, gender and other surface characteristics that we would rationally disagree with. If you have not tried it I recommend you take one or more of the Harvard University "Implicit" tests that measure these biases. By the way, the tests show that both whites and blacks have "implicit" biases against blacks. They have one on presidential candidates up there now - but I haven't taken it. Information about the tests is here.

There has been a lot of talk about how we are all "inundated" with stereotypes that effect our opinions. I don't want to pursue the Rev Wright discussion of what is understandable and what is loony but I do buy the premise that we make unconscious assumptions about others based on race, gender and other surface characteristics that we would rationally disagree with. If you have not tried it I recommend you take one or more of the Harvard University "Implicit" tests that measure these biases. By the way, the tests show that both whites and blacks have "implicit" biases against blacks. They have one on presidential candidates up there now - but I haven't taken it. Information about the tests is here.

In an age of better racial enlightment and sensitivity, perhaps all of us in our generation "flunk" the Implicit Association Test. This does say something about how racial bias might permeate our thought process, whether unconscious or conscious. There is a good discussion of this test in a new book written by Stanford Law Professor Richard Thompson, Playing the Racing Card, which I highly recommend reading for those who are interested in how the race card is played for some of the contemporary racial issues of our times. Here's a review of the book from the NY Times. The Race Card - Richard Thompson Ford - Book Review - New York Times

Great Speech by Mr. Obama I sincerely hope that this will open all of our eyes and hearts to the problems that remain under the covers as it pertains to race relations in our nation.

As for the issue with Pastor Wright I am sure that the sound bites from his sermons used by the news media and by those who wish to bring Mr. Obama down were taken out of context. Let's listen to the whole sermon before we past judgement on Pastor Wright and Mr. Obama.

By delivering a speech on race at time when his bid for the presidency was at stake and at a time when some might not want to hear it - Mr. Obama showed LEADERSHIP.

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

Back
Top Bottom