Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
... and I'm still waiting for my curmudgeon certificate.
Here ya go
curmudgeon.jpg
PM me and I will send you the PDF (suitable for framing!)
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I wasn't worried about the political issues at all, I just commenting on why anyone would give a sh*t about Kanye West's latest antics. The media fascination with celebrity instead of real news makes me want to puke. But that's just me...
I don't care at all about Empty V, or Kayne West. However, one thing that chaps my butt is that we (collectively) allow a-holes of various stripes to spew crap, without calling them out. This is particularly true in politics. The nut jobs who spew do not represent me, and an alarming number on both sides of the spectrum are allowed to set the tone of debates, and the course of discussion, when, in actuality, they don't actually represent much of anyone...

So bravo for President O for telling it like it is...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I don't care at all about Empty V, or Kayne West. However, one thing that chaps my butt is that we (collectively) allow a-holes of various stripes to spew crap, without calling them out. This is particularly true in politics. The nut jobs who spew do not represent me, and an alarming number on both sides of the spectrum are allowed to set the tone of debates, and the course of discussion, when, in actuality, they don't actually represent much of anyone...

So bravo for President O for telling it like it is...
Definitely the downside of tolerance. This morning I was reading "The Real Animal House", by Chris Miller, aka Pinto.

He is my age. His stories remind me so much of what I liked about life pre the Beatle Invasion. No one was tolerant of anything but their own groups boorish behavior, and we were immensely tolerant of that. PC had not yet been invented. So many things that were acceptable and even laudable in certain circles would likely land you in court today.

Life stayed fairly reasonable throughout the sexy 70s but has been going downhill ever since.

Lately I am so effing tolerant it sucks, but can't fight city hall. What that Kanye needed was to be booted.

Ha
Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #24

Jimmy Carter: Kanye's behavior 'uncalled for'
Now Kanye West can say that two presidents have weighed in on his VMA incident. In addition to President Obama's off-the-record (or was it?) remark, former President Jimmy Carter (who yesterday made news with comments about race) has given his thoughts about the rapper's behavior.
CNN reports that Carter, speaking at a town hall meeting at Emory University in Georgia (where he's a professor) last night, said that what West did was "completely uncalled for," adding that "his punishment was to appear on the new Jay Leno show."
Old 09-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

What I'd like to see is, if that guy ever gets invited to any awards show, is for every other performer to just say, "No thanks, not showing up then".

To some degree, the awards shows like the attention this junk gets. So classy people like Beyonce' could just distance themselves - they'd have to change.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Definitely the downside of tolerance. This morning I was reading "The Real Animal House", by Chris Miller, aka Pinto.

He is my age. His stories remind me so much of what I liked about life pre the Beatle Invasion. No one was tolerant of anything but their own groups boorish behavior, and we were immensely tolerant of that. PC had not yet been invented. So many things that were acceptable and even laudable in certain circles would likely land you in court today.

Life stayed fairly reasonable throughout the sexy 70s but has been going downhill ever since.

Lately I am so effing tolerant it sucks, but can't fight city hall. What that Kanye needed was to be booted.

Ha
Well, I'm leary of "societal pressure", as it's a double-edged sword. And I've certainly acted out a time or two...

I'm right there with you on the can't fight city hall.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe this has been pointed out here already, but
Kanye West's behavior, coupled with Joe Wilson's
rudeness, both point to a new low in civility in our
society ...
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
And who is this person they call Kayne ?
I have no idea, never heard of him. First time I saw him was the replay of the award segment. The second time was the next night on Jay Leno's show. And it was only for the amount of time it took to change the channel.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford View Post
Maybe this has been pointed out here already, but
Kanye West's behavior, coupled with Joe Wilson's
rudeness, both point to a new low in civility in our
society ...
Are you kidding? Neither of these are even that outrageous. John Riggins' "loosen up Sandy baby" , George Washington was called a traitor, Lincoln was portrayed as an ape, hell, Alexander Hamilton was shot by Aaron Burr. The reason the Democrats have a donkey as a symbol is because his opponents called Andrew Jackson a jackass. This is a business as usual.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Are you kidding? Neither of these are even that outrageous. John Riggins' "loosen up Sandy baby" , George Washington was called a traitor, Lincoln was portrayed as an ape, hell, Alexander Hamilton was shot by Aaron Burr. The reason the Democrats have a donkey as a symbol is because his opponents called Andrew Jackson a jackass. This is a business as usual.
IIRC from history class they used to have knock-down-drag-out fights in the Congress back in the day.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
IIRC from history class they used to have knock-down-drag-out fights in the Congress back in the day.
Perhaps the thing you are missing is that Pres Obama was an
invited guest speaking before Congress. Yes, I am aware that
mud-slinging during campaigns and rowdiness in the halls of
Congress is hardly a new thing.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, we are not "back in the day," thank goodness!

I would be a non-voting, non-person, just for being female.

Also unable to to keep my wages, or sign contracts, if married.

All duels must take place OUTSIDE of the halls of Congress. These whippersnappers have not read the rules!

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote