Join Early Retirement Today

Obama thread #256: Merrill McPeak
Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Obama thread #256: Merrill McPeak

I just read that Merrill "Tony" McPeak (Gen, USAF, Ret) is military advisor to Obama and a national campaign co-chair.

Ahh, McPeak. The Air Force folks will now be feeling the hair stand up on the backs of their necks.

McPeak was the chief of staff of the Air Force, and I think it is fair to say he, his policies, and his actions were more unpopular than those of any USAF leader since the service was founded. At this point, 13 years after he retired, we've almost repaired the damage he did in our relations with the other services.

Anyway, McPeak has been busy lately. He was arrested last year for DUI. he has recently compared Bill Clinton to Joseph McCarthy. Now his anti-Israel /Jewish conspiracy views are starting to get Obama some negative attention that he'd prefer to avoid. The American Spectator
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

McPeak is not one I would want standing in my corner.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

But since few know who McPeak is... he appears credible.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Ahh, McPeak. The Air Force folks will now be feeling the hair stand up on the backs of their necks.
What you said.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

I can't help it - everytime I see a post by SoonToRetire the avatar jumps out at me from the side of my eye as a KKK mask!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
I can't help it - everytime I see a post by SoonToRetire the avatar jumps out at me from the side of my eye as a KKK mask!!!

Mmm... normally I wouldn't change my avatar because of that but... KKK You got me, I've changed it.

BTW, the story of my original avatar. I was at the start of a regatta off Annapolis, jickeying for a good starting position when the wind died and the current picked up (as happens on the Chesapeake). We then begin drifting towards an anchored tanker waiting for their turn to go into Baltimore harbor. As we drift closer and closer, the Philipino crew comes out on the deck and stares far down at our little sailboat, knowing full well who's going to win the collision. The regatta photo boat thought this was too good of a sitation to miss capturing, and took the photo. Just after the photo was taken the wind picked up and we were able to sail away and start the race. Don't even recall how we finished, only memory I have is of the tanker.

Sorry for the interrpution... now back to your regularly scheduled Obama thread.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

Anyway, McPeak has been busy lately. He was arrested last year for DUI. he has recently compared Bill Clinton to Joseph McCarthy. Now his anti-Israel /Jewish conspiracy views are starting to get Obama some negative attention that he'd prefer to avoid. The American Spectator
Yup, the circus just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Now where's the ompah band?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Yup, the circus just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
No shortage of clowns...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #9

As a LT I remember the great McPeak Badge give away and all the uniform changes. We looked like bus drivers with the rank on our sleeves. I still here McPeak stories in the halls and none of them are "I miss that man."

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat98 View Post
As a LT I remember the great McPeak Badge give away and all the uniform changes. We looked like bus drivers with the rank on our sleeves. I still here McPeak stories in the halls and none of them are "I miss that man."

Tomcat98
I still have the ceremonial whites that McPeak forced me to buy for about half my monthly salary back then, then forbid me to wear it a month later.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
McPeak is not one I would want standing in my corner.
If not in your corner, how about as your Sec Def? Yipes I'm scaring myself.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

"We then begin drifting towards an anchored tanker waiting for their turn to go into Baltimore harbor. As we drift closer and closer, the Philipino crew comes out on the deck and stares far down at our little sailboat, knowing full well who's going to win the collision. The regatta photo boat thought this was too good of a sitation to miss capturing, and took the photo. Just after the photo was taken the wind picked up and we were able to sail away and start the race. Don't even recall how we finished, only memory I have is of the tanker."

oooh!oohh! I have a similar sailboat/tanker story, the difference being Charleston Harbor and a moving tanker, and we were teenagers. Yikes! I think the guardian angels were working overtime that day. STILL scary to think about. Those horns are LOUD when you are that close to the them.
enfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfp View Post
oooh!oohh! I have a similar sailboat/tanker story, the difference being Charleston Harbor and a moving tanker, and we were teenagers. Yikes! I think the guardian angels were working overtime that day. STILL scary to think about. Those horns are LOUD when you are that close to the them.
Having sailed in Charelston, I would much rather take my chances on drifting around in the Chesapeake, especially if the tanker was moving. I remember those tidal currents and eddies, much worse than the Chesapeake.

Back to McPeak ... never mind. Anyone want some white waiter uniforms?
And about Obama, with Air Force guys he'd be better off getting an endorsement from Wright than from McPeak.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

I remember being at my sister's house back in 2004 during the run up to the Bush vs. The Traitor Kerry and the phone rang.

Now you must know that my sister's married to a democrat (good guy through) so they were listed as a democrat household.

Anyway she was busy and asked me to answer it, I picked it up and the hair did rise on the back of my head when I heard McPeak's voice on a tape recorded message saying how he was supporting the Traitor Kerry and how Kerry was the better choice ("the better choice to make me SECDEF" he should have said) blah blah blah

I almost vomited on the floor

Does this man have no principles at all? will he support Beazulbub if he thought he'd make him SECDEF

probably
repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

And Bush was awol...?

Doesn't a general have something better to worry about than uniforms?

Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
And about Obama, with Air Force guys he'd be better off getting an endorsement from Wright than from McPeak.
Actually he has both Wright's and McPeak's endorsements. What a guy!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

[quote=HFWR;637561]And Bush was awol...?
[quote]

During the 2004 campaign and for some time afterwards, the Dems claimed to have the goods on GWB as far as being able to prove he was AWOL and therefore the ability to remove him from office to be appropriately placed in prison and yadda, yadda, yadda....... I recall Hillary was one of those singing this song. Wouldn't this be the right time for her to stop stalling and lay the goods on the table? Having GWB hauled off to some just reward now would surely land her the nomination and presidency.

I'm not a Hillary fan..... just saying that if she has the goods she previously said she had, what's the strategy in further delay? Perhaps she feels that for the good of the country she'll keep the documents in her desk drawer until after he's out of office? Or
Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #18

McPeak for military advisor? Gore for VP? Please Obama, just say NO! :confused:
Old 04-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And Bush was awol...?
During the 2004 campaign and for some time afterwards, the Dems claimed to have the goods on GWB as far as being able to prove he was AWOL and therefore the ability to remove him from office to be appropriately placed in prison and yadda, yadda, yadda....... I recall Hillary was one of those singing this song. Wouldn't this be the right time for her to stop stalling and lay the goods on the table? Having GWB hauled off to some just reward now would surely land her the nomination and presidency.

I'm not a Hillary fan..... just saying that if she has the goods she previously said she had, what's the strategy in further delay? Perhaps she feels that for the good of the country she'll keep the documents in her desk drawer until after he's out of office? Or
Did I forget the smiley...

Just seems disingenuous to lay the "traitor" label on Kerry, whilst giving GWB a pass... He may/may not have ever been AWOL, but he's damn sure not a war hero...

Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Did I forget the smiley...

Just seems disingenuous to lay the "traitor" label on Kerry, whilst giving GWB a pass... He may/may not have ever been AWOL, but he's damn sure not a war hero...
None of them deserve a pass! All politicians have some skeletons in the closet that should be used to persecute them until their blood boils and their eyes pop out. For GWB, this means Hillary and Dems take the incriminating evidence out of their desk drawers and use it to throw the bum out, as they said they could/would. As for the Republicans, time to unleash the pics of the Bill, Hillary and Monica menage a trois! Remember, Hillary claims to have experienced all the things that Bill experienced as president and is ready to answer the phone at 3:00 AM.

I'm a non-partisan politician hater!

BTW, visited Hanover and Madison and passed through Scottsburg and Austin last weekend.