Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Obamarama
Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Ask any Canadian and they absolutely detest Bush.

The sooner he's gone the better off we will all be.

I couldn't believe he got back in for a second term.

What the hell were you all thinking back then?
Hey, whatever happened to CoolDude?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper

What the hell were you all thinking back then?
Howard? Maximillion? Mike1? Limey? Is that you?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Hey, whatever happened to CoolDude?
Oh, I was just reading up on the war in Iran that Bush is planning for his third term.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Everyone who actually knows McCain says he is borderline nuts. He may be a hero but he might completely unwind as President.
Thank you, donheff. We lived in AZ for over 30 years, and laughed at how the country loves McCain. Watch him in person sometime. Way overrated. Lousy guy, lousy politics. Ironically ... Jon Kyl is twice the man McCain is ... Kyl would be excellent, but you seldom hear about him. Appreciate McCain's service, but that doesn't make him Presidential material.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

The Hawaii publicity machine is starting to crank up. It's gonna be a long campaign!

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/08/news/story02.html

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, if the election was tomorrow, Obama would have my vote. I (being part of the "general public" referred to in an earlier post, like the fact he is not entrenched in the current political machine. I do not give a crap about his gender, race, etc. Having a well spoken president (one who would probably keep his feet out of his mouth) would be less embarassing for me (a military drone) After all, the president is simply our figurehead!

Please please please vote! (not a matter of who for - just do it!) Once you do cast your vote, you then have the right to complain later about what is happening!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #27

It seems to me - that all these people running for president should spend more time working to find a solution. Since many of them are active senators - shouldn't they be herding their colleagues toward some solutions?

while the president has a lot of power, so does the congress.

whoever shows true leadership and fixes this mess gets my vote - i'm annoyed they all want to be president but aren't sticking their necks out now to pose some solutions...

and as a side note, i watched John Edwards on cspan this weekend and he has definitely gotten better speaking in public, he looks older and is more comfortable taking questions...and his anti-poverty message is compelling...he has the southern charm - not cowboy brash of bush...
Old 02-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie
Quote:
Also note - when was last time a current Senator won the White House?
Kennedy in '60
LBJ is pretty close. He served in the Senate until he was elected VP
in '60, and then of course he was elected in his own right in '64.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #29

oh, and i'm also concerned they won't support each others ideas in order to not give their opponent an edge - so perhaps no real progress will be made until the election, which i will be really pissed off by if that is the case! :
Old 02-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
... i watched John Edwards on cspan this weekend and he has definitely gotten better speaking in public ...
A good guy. I heard him on the radio, when asked about Hillary and Obama and
their "demographic liabilities" [my term], say "if you're not gonna vote for Clinton
because she's a woman, and you're not gonna vote for Obama 'cause he's black,
then don't vote for me".

Old 02-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #31

Quote:
It seems to me - that all these people running for president should spend more time working to find a solution. Since many of them are active senators - shouldn't they be herding their colleagues toward some solutions?

while the president has a lot of power, so does the congress.

whoever shows true leadership and fixes this mess gets my vote - i'm annoyed they all want to be president but aren't sticking their necks out now to pose some solutions...

and as a side note, i watched John Edwards on cspan this weekend and he has definitely gotten better speaking in public, he looks older and is more comfortable taking questions...and his anti-poverty message is compelling...he has the southern charm - not cowboy brash of bush...
You start off talking about finding a true leader and end with praising someone's charm. That's why they don't stick their necks out by risking an unpopular opinion. They know the typical primary voter will vote with the beauty contest. In the general election, charm will still sway a lot in the middle.

Of course, you end with a slam based on your perception of the current president's lack of charm and not a word about his "solutions." I find it interesting that everyone seems to be running against Bush -- even the repubs. When will the general population figure out he's not running again?

Our media focus and conditioning play a big factor in our elections. The higher the office the more the media exposure becomes. That's why image and camera presence is so important in presidential politics -- an unfortunate reality.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B

Of course, you end with a slam based on your perception of the current president's lack of charm and not a word about his "solutions."
and what would those be
Old 02-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
and what would those be
Bush II has pushed a number of issues. Whether she agreed or disagreed with them, his policies took a lower priority than his "cowboy brash."

Don't look for me to support much of what Bush II has done or how he has done it. That includes his time as Texas governor. He only became president because of the dems inability to pick a decent candidate or, at least, get them a decent handler.

I also take a very unfavorable view of those running for president that don't like the outcome of certain policies (that most of them supported) but aren't taking a position other than they hate Bush II. Even the ones that didn't support the orignal decisions can only make that claim because they weren't in office at the time and they still aren't offering a solution to the current situation. They only talk about what they'd like to have happen.

So far, the dems are running a "Vote for me. I hate George Bush" campaign. I'd like to see something a little better but I'm not holding my breath. 2008 is the dems year to lose and I'm sure they will do their best by finding another candidate capable of alienating half of the population.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
You start off talking about finding a true leader and end with praising someone's charm. That's why they don't stick their necks out by risking an unpopular opinion. They know the typical primary voter will vote with the beauty contest. In the general election, charm will still sway a lot in the middle.

Of course, you end with a slam based on your perception of the current president's lack of charm and not a word about his "solutions." I find it interesting that everyone seems to be running against Bush -- even the repubs. When will the general population figure out he's not running again?

Our media focus and conditioning play a big factor in our elections. The higher the office the more the media exposure becomes. That's why image and camera presence is so important in presidential politics -- an unfortunate reality.
i don't think there's a rule against having multiple opinions :P

my brain can multi-task - two separate thoughts at the same time.

next time i'll separate my thoughts into different replies so as not to confuse you...

and i never said i'd vote for edwards cuz he's charming it was just an observation- but that will undoubtedly help his campaign. he is not in the same position as others cuz he's not currently a senator - i think the active senators have more of a burden of showing up and doing something in their current role.

yes, and please do illuminate me on the solusitations of this current president?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
Bush II has pushed a number of issues. Whether she agreed or disagreed with them, his policies took a lower priority than his "cowboy brash."
aaah! did i offend the cowboys out there? sorry

oh and for the record i do disagree with most of everything he has said or done...
Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
He only became president because of the dems inability to pick a decent candidate or, at least, get them a decent handler.
Actually Bush lost the 2000 Election.

Really! - Both the Popular Vote and the Vote in Florida! - If they just would have counted them all correctly and the GOP appointed supreme court would not have stopped the counting. This is a fact and has been proven many times over.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Actually Bush lost the 2000 Election.
Only in the wishful dreams of the "losers."

Assuming you mean Florida's electorial vote, that has been beaten to death and no study/investigation even comes close to changing the outcome. If you mean the popular vote, the discontinuity between the US electorial college and popular vote has also been beaten to death and it isn't going to change.

We could go off on a discussion of the integrity of elections in this country but one political party seems determined not to limit anyones creativity by actually having people prove who they are before they vote.

Quote:
i don't think there's a rule against having multiple opinions :P

yes, and please do illuminate me on the solusitations of this current president?
I don't think there's anything in any of my posts defending any of Bush's policies. He is president and he has the responsibility to act (or not act). In 2 years it will be someone elses turn.

It's clear your multiple opinions are also based on how many ways you hate Bush. That is sad.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #38

I'm sort of thinking-hoping for something different this time. :

I told the Mrs. about a month ago that what I'd really like to see is Obama run for Vice President. Seriously. He doesn't have enough 'national experience' for me as yet (although that opinion might change). It would be nice to see him recognize that inexperience in himself and use it for a higher purpose. It'd be nice to see him run for the number two position. He'd still be out there on the national trail, helping to shape public opinion over the next ten months, and if folks like what he says he could play a major role in deciding who might head the ticket. That would be different: having the vice presidential candidate be a major influence on who is chosen for president.

If he is smart about it (and did a good job) he might have a very large and transforming role for sixteen full years.

{To me this is just an amusing wish. But it would be nice to see a national candidate subordinate his own ego to what is best for the country. If he could.}
Old 02-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B

It's clear your multiple opinions are also based on how many ways you hate Bush. That is sad.
Hate is a strong word - i would reserve it for someone i cared about in the first place who then did something awful.

i really don't like the guy that is fair to say

as president, governor or whatever he has not exuded any qualities that i expect or desire from a leader - of a soccer team or a country

Old 02-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
Only in the wishful dreams of the "losers."

Assuming you mean Florida's electorial vote, that has been beaten to death and no study/investigation even comes close to changing the outcome. If you mean the popular vote, the discontinuity between the US electorial college and popular vote has also been beaten to death and it isn't going to change.

they were only losers because they lost a 5-4 election.

Aside from the bogus non-recount, aren't you forgetting that Jeb Bush used state police to block roads, had polling places moved without notice, people prevented from casting ballots, a Texas firm incorrectly and illegally removed peoples' names from voting registrations (nearly all black people and dems, by some strange coincidence)? It took a lot more for the Repubs to win Florida than even the US Supreme court.

These things were never adequately investigated, and it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that crimes were committed.

I thought it was pretty funny when Castro offered to send observers....

There's also some serious questions about the integrity of the 2004 election.