Obamarama

Well, if the election was tomorrow, Obama would have my vote. I (being part of the "general public" referred to in an earlier post, like the fact he is not entrenched in the current political machine. I do not give a crap about his gender, race, etc. Having a well spoken president (one who would probably keep his feet out of his mouth) would be less embarassing for me (a military drone) After all, the president is simply our figurehead!

Please please please vote! (not a matter of who for - just do it!) Once you do cast your vote, you then have the right to complain later about what is happening!

It seems to me - that all these people running for president should spend more time working to find a solution. Since many of them are active senators - shouldn't they be herding their colleagues toward some solutions?

while the president has a lot of power, so does the congress.

whoever shows true leadership and fixes this mess gets my vote - i'm annoyed they all want to be president but aren't sticking their necks out now to pose some solutions...

and as a side note, i watched John Edwards on cspan this weekend and he has definitely gotten better speaking in public, he looks older and is more comfortable taking questions...and his anti-poverty message is compelling...he has the southern charm - not cowboy brash of bush...

gindie said:
Also note - when was last time a current Senator won the White House?
Kennedy in '60

LBJ is pretty close. He served in the Senate until he was elected VP
in '60, and then of course he was elected in his own right in '64.

oh, and i'm also concerned they won't support each others ideas in order to not give their opponent an edge - so perhaps no real progress will be made until the election, which i will be really pissed off by if that is the case! ::)

bright eyed said:
... i watched John Edwards on cspan this weekend and he has definitely gotten better speaking in public ...

A good guy. I heard him on the radio, when asked about Hillary and Obama and
their "demographic liabilities" [my term], say "if you're not gonna vote for Clinton
because she's a woman, and you're not gonna vote for Obama 'cause he's black,
then don't vote for me".

bright eyed said:
It seems to me - that all these people running for president should spend more time working to find a solution. Since many of them are active senators - shouldn't they be herding their colleagues toward some solutions?

while the president has a lot of power, so does the congress.

whoever shows true leadership and fixes this mess gets my vote - i'm annoyed they all want to be president but aren't sticking their necks out now to pose some solutions...

and as a side note, i watched John Edwards on cspan this weekend and he has definitely gotten better speaking in public, he looks older and is more comfortable taking questions...and his anti-poverty message is compelling...he has the southern charm - not cowboy brash of bush...

You start off talking about finding a true leader and end with praising someone's charm. That's why they don't stick their necks out by risking an unpopular opinion. They know the typical primary voter will vote with the beauty contest. In the general election, charm will still sway a lot in the middle.

Of course, you end with a slam based on your perception of the current president's lack of charm and not a word about his "solutions." I find it interesting that everyone seems to be running against Bush -- even the repubs. When will the general population figure out he's not running again?

Our media focus and conditioning play a big factor in our elections. The higher the office the more the media exposure becomes. That's why image and camera presence is so important in presidential politics -- an unfortunate reality.

2B said:
Of course, you end with a slam based on your perception of the current president's lack of charm and not a word about his "solutions."

and what would those be :confused: :confused: :confused:

bosco said:
and what would those be :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bush II has pushed a number of issues. Whether she agreed or disagreed with them, his policies took a lower priority than his "cowboy brash."

Don't look for me to support much of what Bush II has done or how he has done it. That includes his time as Texas governor. He only became president because of the dems inability to pick a decent candidate or, at least, get them a decent handler.

I also take a very unfavorable view of those running for president that don't like the outcome of certain policies (that most of them supported) but aren't taking a position other than they hate Bush II. Even the ones that didn't support the orignal decisions can only make that claim because they weren't in office at the time and they still aren't offering a solution to the current situation. They only talk about what they'd like to have happen.

So far, the dems are running a "Vote for me. I hate George Bush" campaign. I'd like to see something a little better but I'm not holding my breath. 2008 is the dems year to lose and I'm sure they will do their best by finding another candidate capable of alienating half of the population.

2B said:
You start off talking about finding a true leader and end with praising someone's charm. That's why they don't stick their necks out by risking an unpopular opinion. They know the typical primary voter will vote with the beauty contest. In the general election, charm will still sway a lot in the middle.

Of course, you end with a slam based on your perception of the current president's lack of charm and not a word about his "solutions." I find it interesting that everyone seems to be running against Bush -- even the repubs. When will the general population figure out he's not running again?

Our media focus and conditioning play a big factor in our elections. The higher the office the more the media exposure becomes. That's why image and camera presence is so important in presidential politics -- an unfortunate reality.

i don't think there's a rule against having multiple opinions :p

my brain can multi-task - two separate thoughts at the same time.

next time i'll separate my thoughts into different replies so as not to confuse you... :D

and i never said i'd vote for edwards cuz he's charming it was just an observation- but that will undoubtedly help his campaign. he is not in the same position as others cuz he's not currently a senator - i think the active senators have more of a burden of showing up and doing something in their current role.

yes, and please do illuminate me on the solusitations of this current president?

2B said:
Bush II has pushed a number of issues. Whether she agreed or disagreed with them, his policies took a lower priority than his "cowboy brash."

aaah! did i offend the cowboys out there? sorry :-[

oh and for the record i do disagree with most of everything he has said or done... :LOL:

2B said:
He only became president because of the dems inability to pick a decent candidate or, at least, get them a decent handler.

Actually Bush lost the 2000 Election.

Really! - Both the Popular Vote and the Vote in Florida! - If they just would have counted them all correctly and the GOP appointed supreme court would not have stopped the counting. This is a fact and has been proven many times over.

Cut-Throat said:

Only in the wishful dreams of the "losers."

Assuming you mean Florida's electorial vote, that has been beaten to death and no study/investigation even comes close to changing the outcome. If you mean the popular vote, the discontinuity between the US electorial college and popular vote has also been beaten to death and it isn't going to change.

We could go off on a discussion of the integrity of elections in this country but one political party seems determined not to limit anyones creativity by actually having people prove who they are before they vote.

bright eyed said:
i don't think there's a rule against having multiple opinions :p

yes, and please do illuminate me on the solusitations of this current president?

I don't think there's anything in any of my posts defending any of Bush's policies. He is president and he has the responsibility to act (or not act). In 2 years it will be someone elses turn.

It's clear your multiple opinions are also based on how many ways you hate Bush. That is sad.

I'm sort of thinking-hoping for something different this time. ::)

I told the Mrs. about a month ago that what I'd really like to see is Obama run for Vice President. Seriously. He doesn't have enough 'national experience' for me as yet (although that opinion might change). It would be nice to see him recognize that inexperience in himself and use it for a higher purpose. It'd be nice to see him run for the number two position. He'd still be out there on the national trail, helping to shape public opinion over the next ten months, and if folks like what he says he could play a major role in deciding who might head the ticket. That would be different: having the vice presidential candidate be a major influence on who is chosen for president.

If he is smart about it (and did a good job) he might have a very large and transforming role for sixteen full years. :D

{To me this is just an amusing wish. But it would be nice to see a national candidate subordinate his own ego to what is best for the country. If he could.}

2B said:
It's clear your multiple opinions are also based on how many ways you hate Bush. That is sad.

Hate is a strong word - i would reserve it for someone i cared about in the first place who then did something awful.

i really don't like the guy :D that is fair to say

as president, governor or whatever he has not exuded any qualities that i expect or desire from a leader - of a soccer team or a country

2B said:
Only in the wishful dreams of the "losers."

Assuming you mean Florida's electorial vote, that has been beaten to death and no study/investigation even comes close to changing the outcome. If you mean the popular vote, the discontinuity between the US electorial college and popular vote has also been beaten to death and it isn't going to change.

they were only losers because they lost a 5-4 election.

Aside from the bogus non-recount, aren't you forgetting that Jeb Bush used state police to block roads, had polling places moved without notice, people prevented from casting ballots, a Texas firm incorrectly and illegally removed peoples' names from voting registrations (nearly all black people and dems, by some strange coincidence)? It took a lot more for the Repubs to win Florida than even the US Supreme court.

These things were never adequately investigated, and it is pretty much a foregone conclusion that crimes were committed.

I thought it was pretty funny when Castro offered to send observers....

There's also some serious questions about the integrity of the 2004 election.

bosco said:
Aside from the bogus non-recount, aren't you forgetting that Jeb Bush used state police to block roads, had polling places moved without notice, people prevented from casting ballots, a Texas firm incorrectly and illegally removed peoples' names from voting registrations (nearly all black people and dems, by some strange coincidence)? It took a lot more for the Repubs to win Florida than even the US Supreme court.

There's also some serious questions about the integrity of the 2004 election.

I am not a Bush supporter. I'll be glad when he's gone from the office. I just live in hope we won't get something worse. He's doing the job.

I now know you are in the "people who are clueless, hate Bush more than anything and is firmly committed to ignoring any shred of truth" camp. You never know where the conspiracy will end. Bush was in Texas when Kennedy was assasinated. Could he have been on the "grassy knoll?" If there was a real conspiracy in Florida, I'm pretty sure the Supreme Court would have had something to say more favorable to your position. You are living in a dream world, filled with hatred and all I can say is get a life.

If you want to talk about questionable elections, let's go with the Kennedy-Nixon fix in Chicago. The evidence is a lot stronger than the rumors spread by anti-Bush hacks. Nixon was a jerk but had more integrity than Gore in not dragging it through the courts. We could discuss Hayes who clearly got the presidency by political affiliation of the commission appointed to investigate the 1876 Florida election. There have been many "challenged" presidential elections but never the continuing hatred that Bush has been subjected to.

2B said:
If you want to talk about questionable elections, let's go with the Kennedy-Nixon fix in Chicago.

That's out of line 2B. Stealing elections in Chicago is a rich, long-time tradition built on the backs of partronage workers, labor unions, immigrants and the religious faithful. When Bush and those nasty Republicans do it, it's, it's, it's just plain old stealing and wrong! We do it with a sense of history, pride and tradition............. because it's the CHICAGO WAY!!

It's not easy these days. The massive "reverse flight" moving blue collar eithnics to the suburbs and white collar snobs into the newly renovated, hip areas of the city makes it tougher to get things organized. And the struggles of the Chicago Archdiocese isn't helping either.

So, cut us some slack! We deliver the vote for the Dems day-in and day-out, good candidate or crappy candidate, right or wrong and without regard to platform. And the best part? People love us for it!

Hey guys and gals, can we call a truce on this subject for a little while? Why don't we debate the Civil War or something else equally as useful.

Only 21 months to go before the next presidential election. :p

Whatdaya wanna bet that the Honorable Richard M Daley "Hisssssssss Honor" could get Bagdad organized into wards and precincts, party loyalists identified and trained and deliver the vote for the 2008 Dem presidential candidate......... if we'd let him get started today?

I can see it now........ On a sign seen as you leave the Bagdad airport.....

"Bagdad, the City That Works! Richard M Daley, Major."

Greg said:
I told the Mrs. about a month ago that what I'd really like to see is Obama run for Vice President.
"Vote for me, I wanna be #2!!"

How American is that?

No, he's supposed to run as hard as he can for #1, and then subordinate his ego to compromise for #2. So the results may be the same.

Cut-Throat said:

Really! - Both the Popular Vote and the Vote in Florida! - If they just would have counted them all correctly and the GOP appointed supreme court would not have stopped the counting. This is a fact and has been proven many times over.
wow! you better go notify the Supreme Court. ::)

I find it rather interesting the Dems complain about the counties on the east coast of Florida violating civil rights and making it harder for people to vote in the 2000 elections. Hears a clue people those counties are run by the Dems. If they didn't like the way it was done they should change it not complain about something they have the ability to change. The point is the Dems screwed it up and blame the Bushes and the Supreme Court.

Nords said:
"Vote for me, I wanna be #2!!"

How American is that?

No, he's supposed to run as hard as he can for #1, and then subordinate his ego to compromise for #2. So the results may be the same.

And maybe that's the problem ;). Maybe Merkins need to subordinate their egos just a bit, more 'world citizen' thinking and behavior. More "How can I help the country?" rather than ""How can I wn?" That would be different; that's still what I'm watching for

lets-retire said:
I find it rather interesting the Dems complain about the counties on the east coast of Florida violating civil rights and making it harder for people to vote in the 2000 elections. Hears a clue people those counties are run by the Dems. If they didn't like the way it was done they should change it not complain about something they have the ability to change. The point is the Dems screwed it up and blame the Bushes and the Supreme Court.

the State police are under the county's authority? The company from Texas that removed names from eligible voter's lists was under county jurisdiction? Katherine Harrris was a Demorcrat from those counties?

The thrust of your argument seems to be that it is the Dems fault that they were the victims of a crooked election, crooked government, and biased supreme court.

try again.

The fact of the matter is that those Florida Dems didn't care enough to put forth an effort to win. It's really shameful. They don't have the time or inclination to get things organized, control the jobs, the economy, the votes, like they should. Yet they have lots of time to whine and cry afterwards. What's the matter with them?

The whole concept that you can have a major urban area not controlled by Dems just dazzles me. Too much energy spent whining and crying and too little effort spent controlling the votes.

Totally out of control.

Back
Top Bottom