Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Obama's kin were slave masters?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADJ
Speak for yourself. Your name says it all.
Thanks for the helpful comment. I wonder what it means? Texans are racists? People who are proud are racists? Lay on the stereotyping please--I know we can get it thicker than this!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tex, i think the problem is that you seem to cast a broad net and cloud a whole race with some of the folks who are taking advantage...you could do that for every race - but i don't think every texan want's to be judged by Bush, or every white person judged by the uni-bomber... etc.

that is by definition stereotyping.

i understand it is easy to get jaded given your experiences and that of your sisters...especially because some people are so deeply entrenched in behaviors, psychology and expectations that are part of modern day american poverty - but it is a bit simplified to say race doesn't play a role - it does but of course is not the only piece of the pie. most people know there is a lot of BS that goes on in impoverished neighborhoods - but i don't think it's fair to say - "get over it" without seeing the whole picture...

Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote from: Texas Proud on Today at 03:36:52 PM
Am I racist... a bit.. everybody is to a point... (and I think that the blacks can be racist also... which many are)...

Speak for yourself. Your name says it all.
Hey ADJ,

Surely you are not indicating that the millions of good folks in TX are somewhat racist, are you? The comments of Texas Proud should be taken at face value. You might want to broaden your outlook.

Texas is about the best place in the entire USA to park your bones.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Texas is about the best place in the entire USA to park your bones.
But wait until you are dead before parking them here, please.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
Tex, i think the problem is that you seem to cast a broad net and cloud a whole race with some of the folks who are taking advantage...you could do that for every race - but i don't think every texan want's to be judged by Bush, or every white person judged by the uni-bomber... etc.

that is by definition stereotyping.

i understand it is easy to get jaded given your experiences and that of your sisters...especially because some people are so deeply entrenched in behaviors, psychology and expectations that are part of modern day american poverty - but it is a bit simplified to say race doesn't play a role - it does but of course is not the only piece of the pie. most people know there is a lot of BS that goes on in impoverished neighborhoods - but i don't think it's fair to say - "get over it" without seeing the whole picture...
Hmmm... I am posting bad comments as I am not being understood... but that happens at times....

What I am trying to say is that RACE and SLAVERY is not playing as much of an issue as POVERTY.... and the people in poverty have ways to get out of that situation... some take it, others don't....

I grew up in poverty... not bad poverty, but we were very very poor... My brother and sisters and I made something of ourselves and are now mostly middle class or upper middle... many of my classmates decided to scam the system.. it was not done so by race.. may whites did the same thing... so when someone is saying that slavery is what keeps the current group of blacks down I say BS... it is many other factors but slavery..

And when people say that they should be compensated for slavery, I again say BS... they were not slaves... and their parents were not slaves... and their grand parents were not slaves... is there racism... yes... is that a valid reason to have some programs, yes... slavery, no..

Also.. I am very proud of being a Texan... and also very proud of being an American... I wear shirts with Texas and American flags even when I go overseas... does that make me a racist? and I find that almost everybody has racist tendencies in them... but nobody wants to admit it.. I will... but they are small in me compared to others that I know... and there are also blacks who hate whites (who seem to get a free ride... I hate hypocracy)...