Join Early Retirement Today

Re: O'Conner retires
Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Newell

Th or Notth

A number of your previous posts have taken people to task for their careless use of purported facts or questionable sources. Don't you think your description of the Laura Bush incident follows the same pattern and leaves the reader with some very incorrect perceptions, eg, you didn't even mention that the so-called boyfriend was in a different car.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh come now. I gave one guy a hard time because he was a troll. I gave another guy a hard time because he decided to start pissing in my morning coffee for no apparent reason.

However, in this instance the information I provided was factual and from perfectly good sources. I didnt mention the odd but true fact that the boyfriend happened to be in the car she hit, not hers, although thats a good example of how small some small towns really are.

So what exactly is the problem you'd like me to solve? Are you unhappy that I berated a troll or that I gave it back to someone who started a pissing contest with me? Or just passing the time away?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to Newell

Notth,

I have no particular problem that I'd like you to solve, have no interest in your pissing contests and I am not just passing the time away.

I'm simply trying to point out, in as civil a manner as I can, that your use of "facts" can easily lead the casual reader (fortunately there aren't many here) to come to erroneous conclusions.

Why is it "odd" that the person killed was in a different car - Laura was riding with a girlfriend. BTW, the person killed and Laura were friends and classmates. I wasn't aware that anyone had shown them to be anything other than that. The part of the police report regarding charges was blank because none were filed.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbykur
I'm simply trying to point out, in as civil a manner as I can, that your use of "facts" can easily lead the casual reader (fortunately there aren't many here) to come to erroneous conclusions.

Why is it "odd" that the person killed was in a different car - Laura was riding with a girlfriend. BTW, the person killed and Laura were friends and classmates. I wasn't aware that anyone had shown them to be anything other than that. The part of the police report regarding charges was blank because none were filed.
It isn't that hard to find. I'm sure th could google for it, but I've included the link anyway.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

Old 07-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbykur
Notth,

I have no particular problem that I'd like you to solve, have no interest in your pissing contests and I am not just passing the time away.

Ok then I still dont know what we're doing here. Everything I said was true by record. What erroneous conclusions could be drawn from what I said that would matter even a little bit?

Its odd that someone in an accident would strike and kill someone they know. I pointed out that this is simply a factor of small town life where there simply aint that many people you dont know. As far as romantic links, many have been suggested, but the last thing I'm interested in is establishing any connection between them, or proving one, as I cant for the life of me figure out why that would matter.

You'll note I made no opinion, didnt say anything about people running stop signs at 50mph and walking away without being charged, made no inferences whatsoever. A couple of people said they thought something like that happened and I simply confirmed that thought.

Theres a big difference between stating a series of well established and documented facts, and saying things that are simply not true, then blasting everyone with four letter words when you're asked for sources and cant come up with them. Particularly when the guy that cant come up with rational sources VOLUNTEERED that he would.

I'm still left with the feeling that you're still looking for something here as I cant understand what the problem is. Why dont you tell me what erroneous conclusions could be drawn from what I said, why it matters, and what I should have said differently to result in clearer conclusion drawing?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:27 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
I wonder if you can be borked and dixie chicked at the same time?
That sounds SO obscene.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Made me tingly all over.

Good thing they didnt decide on a whim to call themselves chicks with dixie though, huh?
Old 07-02-2005, 07:37 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Made me tingly all over.

Good thing they didnt decide on a whim to call themselves chicks with dixie though, huh?
Hey. We have that movie

JG
Old 07-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

You'd be surprised what downing a few cold Dixie longnecks would inspire chicks to do - speaking strictly of the old, old days - of course.

Before my -heh, heh - 28 yr old er ah arrangement.

How old are the Dixie Chicks anyway??

Borked? - doesn't even sound good - could he sing?
Old 07-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
You'd be surprised what downing a few cold Dixie longnecks would inspire chicks to do
You leave the word 'cold' out of that, and I'd go somewhere with it... :P
Old 07-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Okie Dokie - I'll bite.

Dixie longnecks sans the c word - go with it.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Dixie longneck...unclemick you braggart...
Old 07-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Boy oh boy - did I walk into that.

I think I'll go back to being a name dropping troll:

De Gaul, Da Norwegian widow, pssst - Wellesley, Yogi , Bear Bryant, etc., etc., etc.

Oh and Ben Graham, Boglehead, Bernstein, slice and dice.

I only 'winter in Missoula' - or do I really
Old 10-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Main contender is samuel alito. GW's dad nominated him to the federal appeals court. Strong anti-abortionist.

Frequently referred to as "sc-alito" or scalito-lite.
Looks like I was a little early on this guess...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:00 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I am major bummed.

I am going back to bed.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated...

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Seems to me there IS a "right to privacy"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote