Join Early Retirement Today

Odd car names
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Odd car names

This is almost too strange to be taken seriously: Funniest Car Names

"Automotive names for Japanese cars sold in Japan are expressed in Latin letters instead of Japanese characters -- a Toyota in Japan reads "Toyota" on the decklid. This is where the fun begins.

In producing cars for markets other than the U.S., Japanese manufacturers are often more concerned with "mouth feel" and what pleasant sound a certain combination of words or letters might make, discounting silly things such as grammar and relevance. The Mitsubishi Chariot Grandio Super Exceed, which you might expect to shatter the sound barrier, is, alas, better at hauling groceries. The innocent gutting of the English language involved in the following 10 vehicles [cars, trucks, and vans] is particularly close to our hearts."

Isuzu GIGA 20 Light Dump

Mazda Bongo/Bongo Friendee/Bongo Brawny

Honda Life Dunk

Mazda/Autozam Scrum Stand Off

Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard

Nissan Elgrand Homy

Sbarro Assystem

Daihatsu Charade Social Poze

Yamaha Pantryboy Supreme

Mitsubishi MUM 500 Shall We Join Us?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh, I remember seeing the odd Daihatsu Charade on the streets of Queens before the company went balls up. Always thought it was funny, although its nowhere near as good as a Yamaha Pantryboy Supreme.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here they like to give names to various engine/install packages. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why so many oldsters were driving 1980s Fiat Pandas with the same large dopey decal on the flank that said "YOUNG". That was the car name, the Fiat Panda Young. They like English words; there's the Fiat Panda FIRE, and the newer versions are HOBBY, something else and COUNTRY CLUB (at least those last two make a kind of sense).

Other odd ones:
Peugeot 107 "SWEET YEARS" (?)
Citroen C1 "PINKO"
Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #4

i have a problem with the isuzu car named sonata. why would anyone name a car after snot?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i have a problem with the isuzu car named sonata. why would anyone name a car after snot?
Hyundai did.............you can buy a Sonata anywhere.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Theres also these...

Toyota Estima Lucida G Luxury Joyful Canopy
Tang Hua Detroit Fish
Nissan Homy Super Long
Geely PU Rural Nanny
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Administrator

It would be so cool to have a car named the Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard! I love it! Sort of the Swiss Army Knife of cars, but cloaked in shadows.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I want a Homy Super Long, although I'd be fairly happy with a PU Rural Nanny.

Here's your Mysterious Utility Wizard...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Administrator

Why, the Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard really IS the Swiss Army Knife of cars, cloaked in shadows! Note the tinting on the windows!! I'll bet there's a bottle opener there somewhere.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I always thought "Yugo" was oxymoronic, while "Nova" was Hispanic poetic justice for an Anglo-centric marketing department...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not odd, but I always thought Chevette was a little funny. Too small and tinny to be a Chevy, and NOWHERE NEAR a Corvette........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Not odd, but I always thought Chevette was a little funny. Too small and tinny to be a Chevy, and NOWHERE NEAR a Corvette........

A friend of mine used to tell everyone that he had a 'Vette.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

David Johanson - "Frenchette"