Of vegetables, I eat more xxxx ... (poll)

Vegetable eaten most

• Potato

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Tomato

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Lettuce/Salad Greens

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Cabbage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Broccoli

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Cauliflower or other brassica

• Spinach/Pot Greens

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Carrot

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Celery

• Summer Squash

• Winter Squash

• Other

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Onion

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For me it is probably onions, followed by cabbage, then lettuce and salad greens (mostly Trader Joe's Organic Herb Salad) followed by broccoli, then spinach and other pot greens, then carrots and celery, then tomatoes, then zucchini and summer squash, then eggplant.

Since I eat low carb I don't eat potatoes, or even sweet potato. (Maybe a bit of sweet potato at the Holidays).

I think I remember reading that nationally potatoes are #1, followed by onions and tomatoes.

Ha

Red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions and potatoes. DH and I are big salad eaters and have one almost every day. BTW, we love Trader Joe's - one recently opened up about 3 miles away from our home. I'll have to try that organic herb salad you mentioned.

Potatoes > carrots > onions > lettuce > tomatoes > zucchinis > Green beans.

Hard to compare the legumes with the other veggies. We eat a lot of dal with various lentils and mung beans. We also like black beans.

Other veggies it is partly seasonal. But spinach is a big favorite and always in the house and used in dal. We always have carrots (dog and I snack on them) and onion. Lots of cabbage for soup in the winter. Broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, peas, green beans, squashes, eggplant go in and out of the house, depending on price and season. Bringing up the rear are tomatos, lettuce, and celery.

How could onions be your primary vegetable Ha? I thought that was like a supplementary vegetable. Or not even a vegetable, just used to flavor things!

yeah, onions are missing.. I don't know if potatoes are in the same class with the others; I put them in the rice/pasta/carbs category but have been imperceptibly shifting to the Italian notion that puts them in the veggie class and thus not requiring a meal to have "another" vegetable as well (bad!).

I can see onions as primary because they are used in so many dishes. It's a bad day when there are no onions in the house. I voted tomatoes, but it would be a toss-up.

Also missing are peas.. I'd think they should be popular. We go through a reasonable amount of those.

And eggplant. Decent amount of that.

Cabbage and broccoli are brassica, too.
So are turnips and bok choy (didn't know that!)

How could onions be your primary vegetable Ha? I thought that was like a supplementary vegetable. Or not even a vegetable, just used to flavor things!

I thought about that, Virginia. But all summer I eat a lot of sweet onions. And all year I never cook anything, or make a salad that I don't use a good portion of onion. So I may make a skillet dish with hamburger, and onion, and garlic, plus some other veggie- cabbage or broccoli or maybe spinach. But onion is always there, and in pretty good quantity, whereas the other ingredients shift.

I am pretty sure than onion is my main carb source.

Wahoo-that is possible. But it could also be my annoying personality. :)

Ha

When I got diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic, I asked a diabetic friend of mine what we should eat. He said "salad is your friend".

I eat tons of salad, made up of various types of lettuce, spinach, onions, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, edamame, peas, etc. But we also eat a lot of squash, zucchini, things like that with various stews, soups, ratatouille.

Probably my #1 veggie, not by weight, but by usage, is garlic. Onions and mushrooms get a lot of use too. I know mushrooms aren't really veggies, but we use them that way.

Once again, in some Scandinavian countries, sausage is considered a vegetable.

We had fresh tomato soup with bacon and garlic pita bread croutons for lunch. That counts as a vegetable since it was mostly tomatoes.

Our CSA killed us with 9 tons of one vegetable every few weeks and much smaller amounts of a bunch of other stuff. It will be a long time before I eat long beans, squash or cucumbers. Based on what I saw this week, by the middle of september I'll also be hating tomatoes and golden beets.

Normally we eat lots of tomatoes, onions, potatoes, garlic and peppers. Lots of salsa gets eaten here and Gabe hasnt figured out that its made up of vegetables yet.

Salad greens , tomatoes , brocccli , zucchni and all types of mushrooms .We do eat occasional potatoes but much more whole wheat pasta or brown rice .

Our number 1 would be sweet potato followed by sugar snap peas.

I must admit I don't really get the lettuce/salad greens at all. If I had the ability to exterminate 1 vegetable from the face of the earth it would undoubtedly be lettuce. What point does it serve besides taking up lots of room on the plate?

Our number 1 would be sweet potato followed by sugar snap peas.

I must admit I don't really get the lettuce/salad greens at all. If I had the ability to exterminate 1 vegetable from the face of the earth it would undoubtedly be lettuce. What point does it serve besides taking up lots of room on the plate?

I agree. Lettuce at best is tasteless at worst is bitter.

Exactly. When you are limited by health reasons from eating real/good food, lettuce gives the illusion that you are eating a lot. That is it's raison d'être.

Carrots are popular at our house and the snap peas too. One of my personal favorites wasn't on the list, the avocado. I always try to have tomatoes on the vine available. We're low carbers, so we seldom have potatoes and go pretty easy on the corn.

We have broccoli just about every day of the week, salad greens as well. Onions and garlic go in everything but ice cream and sweets. Also eat lots of legumes...pintos, black beans, peas, edamame, kidney beans.

R

I'd be careful here, I hear you are what you eat.

I like sweet potato but can't imagine making any one veggie my main squeeze.

Back
Top Bottom