Spinach/Pot Greens 5 6.85%
Carrot 5 6.85%
Celery 0 0%
Summer Squash 0 0%
Winter Squash 0 0%
Other 4 5.48%
Onion 2 2.74%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Of vegetables, I eat more xxxx ... (poll)
Old 09-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Of vegetables, I eat more xxxx ... (poll)

For me it is probably onions, followed by cabbage, then lettuce and salad greens (mostly Trader Joe's Organic Herb Salad) followed by broccoli, then spinach and other pot greens, then carrots and celery, then tomatoes, then zucchini and summer squash, then eggplant.

Since I eat low carb I don't eat potatoes, or even sweet potato. (Maybe a bit of sweet potato at the Holidays).

I think I remember reading that nationally potatoes are #1, followed by onions and tomatoes.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What's a vegetable? :confused:
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions and potatoes. DH and I are big salad eaters and have one almost every day. BTW, we love Trader Joe's - one recently opened up about 3 miles away from our home. I'll have to try that organic herb salad you mentioned.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Potatoes > carrots > onions > lettuce > tomatoes > zucchinis > Green beans.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to compare the legumes with the other veggies. We eat a lot of dal with various lentils and mung beans. We also like black beans.

Other veggies it is partly seasonal. But spinach is a big favorite and always in the house and used in dal. We always have carrots (dog and I snack on them) and onion. Lots of cabbage for soup in the winter. Broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, peas, green beans, squashes, eggplant go in and out of the house, depending on price and season. Bringing up the rear are tomatos, lettuce, and celery.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

How could onions be your primary vegetable Ha? I thought that was like a supplementary vegetable. Or not even a vegetable, just used to flavor things!
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
For me it is probably onions, followed by cabbage...
I think we've just solved the mystery of your inability to maintain a long-term relationship with the opposite sex...
Old 09-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yeah, onions are missing.. I don't know if potatoes are in the same class with the others; I put them in the rice/pasta/carbs category but have been imperceptibly shifting to the Italian notion that puts them in the veggie class and thus not requiring a meal to have "another" vegetable as well (bad!).

I can see onions as primary because they are used in so many dishes. It's a bad day when there are no onions in the house. I voted tomatoes, but it would be a toss-up.

Also missing are peas.. I'd think they should be popular. We go through a reasonable amount of those.

And eggplant. Decent amount of that.

Cabbage and broccoli are brassica, too.
So are turnips and bok choy (didn't know that!)
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
How could onions be your primary vegetable Ha? I thought that was like a supplementary vegetable. Or not even a vegetable, just used to flavor things!

I thought about that, Virginia. But all summer I eat a lot of sweet onions. And all year I never cook anything, or make a salad that I don't use a good portion of onion. So I may make a skillet dish with hamburger, and onion, and garlic, plus some other veggie- cabbage or broccoli or maybe spinach. But onion is always there, and in pretty good quantity, whereas the other ingredients shift.

I am pretty sure than onion is my main carb source.

Wahoo-that is possible. But it could also be my annoying personality.

Ha
Old 09-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
yeah, onions are missing..
I see that I forgot onions. Maybe a mod could add that?

(Thank you!)
Old 09-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When I got diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic, I asked a diabetic friend of mine what we should eat. He said "salad is your friend".

I eat tons of salad, made up of various types of lettuce, spinach, onions, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, edamame, peas, etc. But we also eat a lot of squash, zucchini, things like that with various stews, soups, ratatouille.

Probably my #1 veggie, not by weight, but by usage, is garlic. Onions and mushrooms get a lot of use too. I know mushrooms aren't really veggies, but we use them that way.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I love tomatoes.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Sirloin...that's a veggie right?

Scientists have discovered that going veggie could be bad for your brain-with those on a meat-free [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]diet[/COLOR][/COLOR] six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/H...ow/3480629.cms

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

Scientists have discovered that going veggie could be bad for your brain-with those on a meat-free [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]diet[/color][/color] six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage.

Eating veggies shrinks the brain-Health/Sci-The Times of India
Mickeyd, that is right up there with the news that men should have sex 3x/week for our dear old prostates. Thanks for sharing.

Ha
Old 09-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
How about bacon? CFB??
Old 09-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #16

“Eating veggies shrinks the brain” http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/HealthSci/Eating_veggies_shrinks_the_brain/articleshow/3480629.cms
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Once again, in some Scandinavian countries, sausage is considered a vegetable.

We had fresh tomato soup with bacon and garlic pita bread croutons for lunch. That counts as a vegetable since it was mostly tomatoes.

Our CSA killed us with 9 tons of one vegetable every few weeks and much smaller amounts of a bunch of other stuff. It will be a long time before I eat long beans, squash or cucumbers. Based on what I saw this week, by the middle of september I'll also be hating tomatoes and golden beets.

Normally we eat lots of tomatoes, onions, potatoes, garlic and peppers. Lots of salsa gets eaten here and Gabe hasnt figured out that its made up of vegetables yet.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Salad greens , tomatoes , brocccli , zucchni and all types of mushrooms .We do eat occasional potatoes but much more whole wheat pasta or brown rice .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
DH and I are big salad eaters and have one almost every day.
Me too!!! I have at least one salad a day.....many times more than one a day. I really love just about any veggie.....or fruit.....always have!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #20

Our number 1 would be sweet potato followed by sugar snap peas.

I must admit I don't really get the lettuce/salad greens at all. If I had the ability to exterminate 1 vegetable from the face of the earth it would undoubtedly be lettuce. What point does it serve besides taking up lots of room on the plate?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote