Join Early Retirement Today

Off Beat Ideas
Old 02-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Off Beat Ideas

Do you have an off-beat idea where others think you're off your rocker?

IOW, do you look at the world differently than those around you? What the world thinks is perfectly normal, you raise an eyebrow?

Perhaps a book you've read, a video on Youtube, or a website.

Let's share.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

They said "you're going to manufacture what? Who's going to buy a greenhouse?"
Ten years later I've hired several of those people to help bend pipe. Turns out everyone that wants to grow marijuana in the three state area of the Pacific Northwest now wants one.
ghsebldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Why don't you go first?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They said, "You urgently need the most recent operating system, browser version and virus protection otherwise you are doomed, DOOMED!"

I've generally avoided those for 20 years, yet remain unhacked and virus free.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #5

If we can ignore those pesky physics problems -
A self-powered travel trailer. No need for a large, expensive, and infrequently used tow vehicle.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not so much here, but in "the world around me":

It's easy to make your own investment decisions, easier than trying to make a decision about an outsider to make those decision for you.

Financial 'experts' are rarely able to make better investment decisions than just buying an broad-based index fund. Unlike carpentry or plumbing or product design, it's not an area where expertise really helps, because no one has expertise in predicting the future.

Corporations don't really pay taxes, their customers do (turning a 'progressive' tax on the corporation into a flat tax on the customer).

and....

Electric cars are not "Zero Pollution", and overall may be nearly as bad, or worse than a modern hybrid vehicle.

Organic farmers sometimes use more pesticides than commercial farmers.

Immigrants do not have rights under our Constitution, until they become Citizens.

Salt intake isn't an issue for most people with high blood pressure.

Your cholesterol level is not affected much by the cholesterol content of the food you eat.

Dark beer is not necessarily 'stronger' than a light colored beer. Color is not an indicator of "ale" versus "lager".
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I like to employ a paid financial advisor to handle my equities and people here think I'm nuts.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #8

I like to employ a paid financial advisor to handle my equities and people here think I'm nuts.

Ha ha ha! Me too! Guess now we are both "out."
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Ha ha ha! Me too! Guess now we are both "out."
Actually that makes you both like most people, just not like most at er.org. So I guess you're both normal people who choose to hang out with an "off-beat" crowd.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
IOW, do you look at the world differently than those around you? What the world thinks is perfectly normal, you raise an eyebrow?
Isn't that the definition of a curmudgeon?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Perhaps a book you've read, a video on Youtube, or a website.

Let's share.
Do tell.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
If we can ignore those pesky physics problems -
A self-powered travel trailer. No need for a large, expensive, and infrequently used tow vehicle.
Brilliant. You could call it something like a "Winnebago".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Did someone just say Winnebago? Here's a cutie.

And the interior of a 1974 Winnebago. Does that bring tears to your nostalgic eyes?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is this what you are looking for?

I don't think it is healthy to watch TV shows or movies in which multiple people are assaulted or killed, especially when accompanied with loud high tension music. I think this raises our stress levels and is equivalent to setting off firecrackers in a dark room where a puppy dog is caged. It's mean. Why would I be mean to a puppy dog, or to myself? Instead, I look for peace and serenity in my entertainment options.

It would help if YOU (Elbata) went first to gave us an example of what you are talking about.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Not me. Everything I do and think is not only perfectly normal, it's obviously the right thing/way. It's everybody else that is off kilter.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Brilliant. You could call it something like a "Winnebago".
Heh heh, you missed this part -

Quote:
Playing along, I was thinking down the line of a minimally powered 'hybrid' unit with a small two cylinder pancake style engine snuggled in around the axles.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

In another thread, I talked about rehydrating some overlooked dried-out prunes, and people gave me a hard time.

What will they say when I next try to rehydrate some beef jerky? Alton Brown talked of using jerky to make chili, but I have not tried that.

PS. Ah, found his recipe on the Web: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...o-sauce-recipe.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In another thread, I talked about rehydrating some overlooked dried-out prunes, and people gave me a hard time.

What will they say when I next try to rehydrate some beef jerky? Alton Brown talked of using jerky to make chili, but I have not tried that.
I was the one who gave you such a hard time about the prunes. Today I told Frank about that exchange, and I must admit that he sided with you and saw absolutely nothing wrong with rehydrating those old disgusting prunes.

I don't see why beef jerky would make any better chili than fresh meat. To me, beef jerky is to take hiking or camping. But at least you would know it wasn't spoiled. I didn't feel confident about that when discussing prunes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The dried prunes are not spoiled at all, the same as jerky wouldn't be. Well, it is indeed better to eat stuff that is fresh and does not need rehydration. Hence, I do not see the point of Alton's jerky stew.

Hmm... Can old wrinkly people get rehydrated the same as these prunes? They sell a lot of skincare products to women, but all I know is if I stay in a bathtub for too long, my fingertips get all wrinkly. So, I don't think anything will work with people. Try soaking yourself in a hot tub, and see what I mean.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
....if I stay in a bathtub for too long, my fingertips get all wrinkly.
Read 'somewhere' recently that that's an evolutionary thing....supposedly improves the grip under wet conditions.

Sounds plausible, but then I'm easily fooled.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote