Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a life long hiking enthusiast and usually hike some pretty wild country. The closest I've ever come to using a gun in self defense was during an encounter with a pack of feral dogs that had taken over a forested area in western Montana. My friend and I were carrying large caliber handguns already due to the proximity of a nearby wilderness area with a substantial grizzly bear population. Probably close to a dozen large dogs came through the trees barking and growling. We both drew our weapons and yelled at the dogs. Fortunately, they stopped and just barked at us while we backtracked out of the area.

A couple we know were riding bikes in their neighborhood one evening when a dog attacked and bit the wife on her leg. The husband used his bike to block the dog and force it to leave. She had some nerve damage which caused numbness in part of her lower leg.

He went over to talk to the owners about keeping the dog under control so it didn't happen again. They gave a "what's the big deal" response which royally pi$$ed him off. They got a full medical evaluation and contacted an attorney. Mr. and Mrs. "What's the big deal" found themselves on the wrong end of a $25,000 judgement for medical expenses and the permanent nerve damage. Their dog was properly fenced or leashed after that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since we had/have a minor diversion involving Border Collies, I figured I'd throw in a couple pics of Zak-The-Wonder-Dog, one taken after the heaviest snowfall on Salt Spring Island B.C. during the eight+ years we lived there, and which he thought was organized for his benefit:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #63

Zak is lovely, of course! I always love to see BC's in the snow--mine never have been so lucky! What fun!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
At the local bike path where I do most of my running...
The irony!
Old 02-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I think this is the big issue with many dog owners... (obviously, NOT YOU). Too many dog owners have a lack of awareness that dogs require a certain lifestyle commitment. Dogs need exercise, lots of it. Dogs need training, lots of it. I'd never owned a dog prior to rescuing our current dog. It definitely is more work than a cat, more commitment.... and too many people aren't willing to put in the time to properly exercise and socialize/train their dog.

I had coworkers who would work 10-12 hours a day, then go to the brew pub after work... and their poor dogs weren't get walked, socialized, etc... It was almost abuse in my opinion.
Dogs do need a lot of attention and exercise. I got a golden retriever when I was in my late 40's for the exercise angle. I needed some motivation to get off the sofa. She was a great dog. I now have a lab mix. Another good dog that gets me out for a nice walk every day. Here he is off leash on a trail outside of town.

Beginning of the hike......

Nothing like a good roll on the grass........
Old 02-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #66

another border collie diversion, at our local dogpark...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dotti (2).jpg (655.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
.... I am familiar with toy poodles and in my opinion this would be almost criminally abusive for a toy poodle. They genuinely need a lot of affection and attention, and give a lot in return. Such sweet dogs.
We had a toy poodle when I was a kid. It was a wonderful dog until she had a puppy and from that time forward she was a first class bitch... I was glad to see her go.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We had a toy poodle when I was a kid. It was a wonderful dog until she had a puppy and from that time forward she was a first class bitch... I was glad to see her go.
Sorry to hear that!

I could be wrong, but my guess is that she was still the same wonderful dog deep inside - - but acting differently because she was trying so very hard to be the best mama dog that she knew how to be.

We had a toy poodle when I was a kid, too, also a female. Although we "introduced" her to a handsome, pedigreed male toy poodle and let them do their thing, she did not have any puppies. She was the same sweet and affectionate dog for all of her long life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I carry Fox Labs spray
That's what I carry as well. I understand it's the same strength as what the cops carry.
I will go to very great lengths to avoid using it because of just how powerful it is. I also keep a couple of antidote wipes in my car in case of backspray.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
As for dog parks. The one closest to us has one dog/owner that are dangerous... so if I see them or their car - I drive to the further one. The dog is extra aggressive and the owner doesn't do anything when the dog attacks other dogs in the dog park. Because of this - when that dog is there, he's usually by himself.

I am surprised nobody reports this behavior... and aggressive dog is not allowed and would be banned... if the owner brings it and the police come it is a ticket... get a few and you are in trouble...
Old 02-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The only dog in the vid that wasn't under control was the barker on the trail where the woman kept calling* its name.

(*The lady giving the first training course my Border attended said right from the start, "Don't repeat a command...your dog's not deaf, he heard you the first time".)

I guess you did not see when the dogs were running through the fields.... not even close to the owner.... nobody there, but not under control...
Old 02-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I guess you did not see when the dogs were running through the fields.... not even close to the owner.... nobody there, but not under control...
Oh they were under control.....he just allowed them to run for a while.....if he'd've called/whistled they'd've been right there.....those dogs were trained, but that doesn't mean they have to stand to attention 24/7.

Off leash dog problem
Old 02-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Off leash dog problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
And everyone knows that a pack of dogs behave just as nicely as they do one on one with the owner.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
And everyone knows that a pack of dogs behave just a nicely as they do one on one with the owner.
Well, in a pack they obeyed the owner's signals when passing other cyclists from either direction....and, in a pack, they stopped at roadways until they were given the OK.....and, in a pack, they ignored both the barking dog and the fat one at the end of the vid.

(Edited to add...me, I find untrained dogs to be a PITA...it's soooo much more relaxing to know that you can count on your dog.......and dogs want/NEED to know who's in charge and what the rules are.)

Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #75

Nemo2, There nothing like a well trained dog BUT the signs around here don't say "If your dog is well trained it doesn't need a leash". Why do you think that the signs don't apply to you and your dog? Isn't it the law where you are?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Nemo2, There nothing like a well trained dog BUT the signs around here don't say "If your dog is well trained it doesn't need a leash". Why do you think that the signs don't apply to you and your dog? Isn't it the law where you are?
Can't recall....did I ever mention disobeying signs? (Although I do admit to driving a little over posted speed limits from time to time...which puts me in the minority here, I guess. )

Old 02-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #77

I'm a runner. I was bit by a dog that was tied to a tree in his front yard while owner was gardening. Yappy little thing, decided he hated me so much he broke his leash from the tree to come bite my ankles. Drew blood too.

Another time running, I could feel the panting of a German Shephard type coming from behind me as I ran.... braced myself but he just ran calmly on by, with his owner by bike a few seconds later. Beautiful creature, well trained.

Almost daily, 80% of on-leash dogs go INSANE at the sight of a runner.

But yes, how many less responsible owners go "oh ok that GS is fine mine will be too" and let them loose. I have learned to basically stand still and feign enthusiasm whenever a free-reign dog approaches. Never know when one might decide to flip.

Love 99% of dogs, despise 68% of their owners.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #78

I love animals but don't have any pets since I like the freedom of being able to take off on short notice and go on a road trip. Anyway, a couple of years ago I was at a family reunion where there was a number of grandchildren under the age of 10. There was also a couple of people with Border Collies there. I was unaware this would happen but it was funny watching the dogs trying to herd the kids. They were actually fairly successful at it. A very impressive breed of dog.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
..........Love 99% of dogs, despise 68% of their owners.
I think that there is an ugly under belly to pet ownership for some, as they use their pets as surrogate aggressors. I noticed this with my shovel handle experiment. Previous to carrying the big stick, dogs would attack me and no matter how much I screamed at the dogs, the owners were no where to be seen. When I started carrying the stick, amazingly, the owners appeared rapidly. My guess is that they realized that instead of entertainment, they were going to get a vet bill. Fortunately, the dogs were smarter than their owners and kept their distance.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
OP, bear spray works wonders on both dogs and owners.
This! Anyway, in our litiguous society, I am a bit surprised about the officers advice to shoot the dog, unless it started biting. Otherwise, it seems to me that could set you up for a law suit, as well as arrest, especially being in a public park. If it happened on your property, that might be a different story.

Anyway its amazing to me that some folks claim they are dog people, but refuse to control or discipline their pets.