Join Early Retirement Today

Off leash dog problem
Old 02-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Off leash dog problem

Today we were walking in the local city park (trails run through the woods and along the local river) when two dogs started running at us barking and growling. The owners were coming from the other direction and were about 30 yards away but only one dog stopped. The other dog came right up to us and was acting pretty vicious (my poor wife was a bit terrified).

I called out to the two ladies that they need to control this dog and that it is required in this park to have dogs on leashes (verified that back at the car where the sign said city ordinance so and so that all dogs must be under control and on a leash no longer than 15 feet). I actually called 911 and started talking to the operator which made the lady finally leash her dog.

We left the park and went to the police station where I asked what we are allowed/should do. The officer told us next time to shoot the dog or use pepper spray. I was kind of shocked at the shoot the dog comment even though we do have our CC, I don't usually think of taking a gun in a local park. I am now thinking about carrying pepper spray but I worry that if I spray a off leash aggressive dog in a situation like this back in the woods, I may have problems with the dog's owner.

I like dogs but I am really starting to dislike dog owners.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

spray the dog.
Shoot the owner.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
spray the dog Give the dog a treat.
Shoot the owner.

Fify

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I carry Halt whenever I think I may encounter off leash dogs. It stops them pretty fast and causes no lasting damage, but the owners quickly become belligerent because you have "attacked their poor innocent dog".

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Fify
agree...better yet.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Fify
Sounds like a nice idea till you get bit. After being between two pit bulls and having blood drawn from my shin I gotta say my main thought was to stay on my feet. The screwdriver in my hand didn't really make me feel like we were equally matched - and they weren't cranked up to serious mode. A cop did arrive and shot the older dog after it charged him, the younger dog ended up back on a chain in a driveway barking at passers-by. I thought that was a pretty stupid thing to do with the young dog.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a responsible dog owner. Please don't let the unresponsive owners color your feelings of the rest of us. I personally carry pepper spray and will happily spray loose aggressive dogs AND their owners if needed. If you do this, suggest making a police report immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Too many dog owners shouldn't be.......

Years ago I was walking my Border Collie, off leash, on a busy trail, when we encountered a woman with a particularly aggressive dog, coming in the other direction.......I put my dog in a 'down, stay' while she's fighting with all her might to handle her mutt, which is up on its back legs and virtually frothing.

She kept shouting at me "Put your dog on a leash, put your dog on a leash".....I said "Lady, MY dog is under control, yours is being physically restrained".

After we gave her a wide berth, a couple other ladies with dogs came over and said that it was about time someone put her in her place.......but I'll bet she never, ever, realized that it was her dog that was a menace.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
I'm a responsible dog owner. Please don't let the unresponsive owners color your feelings of the rest of us. I personally carry pepper spray and will happily spray loose aggressive dogs AND their owners if needed. If you do this, suggest making a police report immediately.

You know, this is the first time I would consider concealed carry. To protect me from belligerent owners after I spray their aggressive dog.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You know, this is the first time I would consider concealed carry. To protect me from belligerent owners after I spray their aggressive dog.
That is what I am worried about. Some dog owners seem to feel their rights extend well into yours and might engage you in some fashion if their dog is sprayed.

I have and would move off the trail for an aggressive leashed dog (that has happened twice before...the dog has forced us off the trail but the owner did have some bit of control with both hands on the leash). I am not trying to start a fight, but I can't outrun an off leash pitt bull.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

I've had enough first hand experience to know that there's no good reason for some breeds of dog to exist in our society. Spare me the exceptions.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #12

I don't have a dog, but I like dogs. I absolutely love well-trained, well-behaved dogs.

I sometimes encounter off-leash dogs while running on a local walking trail. I'm always a little leery until the owner demonstrates control. There's one women who walks with four unleashed Dobermans, but as soon as she sees another walker she gives a command and all four dogs retreat to her and sit. I've encountered them a few times; on the most recent occasion I asked if it would bother the dogs if I stopped, and when she said "no" I stopped to chat. I complimented her on her diligent training and told her that I don't worry a bit anymore when I see one of her dogs on the trail.

Whenever I encounter a Golden Retriever I'm worried that if anything, I might get licked to death.

I know that the rule is to leash dogs, but since I like dogs and like to see them get to run and have some freedom, I don't care if the good dogs are off leash. But I understand that some people are afraid of dogs.

So far I've only had two unpleasant encounters with dogs while running. One was a full-sized poodle who was off-leash and jumped on me. He yanked my iPod off and scratched up my arms before I could kick him away. His owner didn't even apologize. I did remind that owner about the leash law. The other was a chihuahua that chased me and nipped at my heels as I ran past his house. His owner yelled at me and said he wouldn't chase me if I didn't run. I had a few snarky replies, but settled for a stink-eye in response.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Too many dog owners shouldn't be.......

Years ago I was walking my Border Collie, off leash, on a busy trail, when we encountered a woman with a particularly aggressive dog, coming in the other direction.......I put my dog in a 'down, stay' while she's fighting with all her might to handle her mutt, which is up on its back legs and virtually frothing.

She kept shouting at me "Put your dog on a leash, put your dog on a leash".....I said "Lady, MY dog is under control, yours is being physically restrained".

After we gave her a wide berth, a couple other ladies with dogs came over and said that it was about time someone put her in her place.......but I'll bet she never, ever, realized that it was her dog that was a menace.

If I ever get a dog, a Border Collie would be my first choice. I'm impressed with their intelligence. I would have to carefully consider, though, if I was really up to keeping one engaged and busy. Bored, intelligent dogs get themselves into trouble.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
If I ever get a dog, a Border Collie would be my first choice. I'm impressed with their intelligence. I would have to carefully consider, though, if I was really up to keeping one engaged and busy. Bored, intelligent dogs get themselves into trouble.
I'd never get a dog that could be smarter than me. DW might be tempted to choose between us.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
The officer told us next time to shoot the dog or use pepper spray.
I have sprayed a dog with pepper spray. Right in the eyes. If you have the cheap key chain type, it will not work.

The Rottweiler I sprayed was walking too close to the bike path for my comfort, as it had charged me several times in the past. Direct shot right in the eyes. All it did was rub it's face with its paws. No yips, no running away, no real sense that anything actually hurt.

I made a vow to myself to get stronger spray, and I did. The strongest made. I think wasp spray would be a better option. Since then, the house was condemned and the people moved away.

The cops told me to just call 911 and document the issue. Sooner or later the dog gets taken away, maybe..?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone on the island in B.C., where we lived for 8 years, said to me when we met on a trail, "You see one, you see them both".....where I went he went and vice versa.......gotta keep them occupied.

Smart.....we used to tell people that he could do our tax returns.......and I may have mentioned one particular incident previously............we were on a trail, the end of which opened onto our street...our house was straight ahead, while the community mailbox was up the hill to the right........about a 1/4 mile previously I had mentioned to him, casually, that we'd pick up the mail before we went home..............came out of the trail, and up the hill to the mailbox he heads.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I frequently encounter unleashed dogs at the local park where there is a leash rule. Those with well trained dogs think the leash law does not apply to them. The down stream effect is that people with untrained and aggressive dogs see all the loose dogs and feel they also have a right to let their dogs run free, too, with bad effects including a rider being thrown from her horse and suffering spinal injuries.

So, I implore owners to follow the leash law.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Off leash dog problem
Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #18

Off leash dog problem

In December, I was walking my rat terrier in our neighborhood, when we were attacked by a young male pit bull. He ran up behind us and all of a sudden attacked my dog. I started screaming and trying to pick up my dog and kick the Pitt bull. No one was around and it seemed like forever before the owner came out of her house. My dog had several bites that we had to get treated at the vet and I was bit on my fingers and arm, but not bad enough for the doctor. I was so shaken, because our previous dog was killed by two dogs who broke into our yard.

The owner said she didn't know how he got out and paid the vet bill. My husband went to talk to them and they gave us a copy of the rabies certificate. We reported it to the city, and they gave them a warning. I guess if he is out again, they can pick him up as a dangerous dog and put him down.

Ever since, my dog and I are so nervous when we see a dog off leash. I'm really thinking of carrying something to ward them off, but in our case, he jumped us from behind and I was caught completely off guard. Now I walk always looking behind me and from side to side. People probably think I'm nuts.

I love dogs, but hate irresponsible owners who let aggressive dogs loose.

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
+1

Border Collies!!
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #20

As someone who takes my dog on walks daily I see all types of other dog behavior and other dog owner behavior.

Most of the owners I see who have their dogs off leash are quick to put their dog on leash if they see another dog... with the exception of the local park. It's not a dog park - but an area is treated as such by many locals. I agree with Travellover that the folks who have well behaved off leash dogs set a precedent that is abused by less well trained owners/dogs. If it's a public park that requires leashes - use them. I do.