Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you want a dog to run, have a fenced in back yard....

OR, take them to the dog park... we have a couple near us... one for big dogs and one for small... they can run to their hearts content and not bother the people who are in the park wanting to enjoy themselves without worrying about being attached by a dog....
My dog loves to run. I do not love to run. My solution was to get a springer for my bike. Since my dog is an alaskan husky (presumably, since he's from the pound) it's in his nature to be harnessed up and running.

(Picture is NOT of me or my dog. Just a photo of the springer bike attachment.)

As for dog parks. The one closest to us has one dog/owner that are dangerous... so if I see them or their car - I drive to the further one. The dog is extra aggressive and the owner doesn't do anything when the dog attacks other dogs in the dog park. Because of this - when that dog is there, he's usually by himself.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Agreed. Here is a friend's chihuahua we watched for a few months 'attacking' my 130 lb Leonberger
OMG - looks like it's too late for your big fellow. Little guy has him down and big guy has given up! Very sorry.....

On more serious side, it is sad that we have so many dog owners than don't understand (or maybe care) how irritating or in some cases dangerous our animals can be to others.

I have fostered for an extended time or personally owned around 25-30 dogs. Almost all were medium to large size dogs (great dane, boxer, couple German shepherds, Rhodesian ridgeback, several pits, couple labs, and several mixed breeds). Several of them came "damaged" in one way or another (ex: fearful, aggressive, lifeless, sick) from bad circumstances or owners. Most had little to no training that I could tell. I've been very impressed with how every one eventually came around due to training, good exercise and love to become good pets.

So one person's experience is that the vast majority of dogs can be good pets if their owners take the time to actually care for them and train them. I wish all owners would take that time. Beyond that, we as owners need to respect that many people simply do not like and may be afraid of our dogs, no matter how well trained or docile they might be. Our leash laws are intended to help address that issue and still provide dog lovers the ability to have their pets.

In many towns, we have dog parks to allow them to run free and socialize. We also have tools like bike tow leashes to allow us to exercise them by running them until they are tired. There is really no excuse for us as responsible dog owners to have our dogs charge others .... or for that matter, even just bug others that don't want them around. So I encourage all of us to address irresponsible owners if we run into them. I certainly do and hope others will as well.

BTW - you might wonder how often someone like me has been bitten given that I have picked up so many dogs with problems. Probably no surprise that I've been bitten a few times over the years. The surprise to only some might be that I've only been bitten by my own dogs twice in 50+ years - Once got bit by a Husky during a break up of a fight between two of my large dogs (he was trying to bite the other dog right when I put a hand over his muzzle). The other time was a brand new sheppard mix we just picked up that was extremely fearful of men. Actually could have avoided that bite but didn't really care too much (fairly small dog -- 45 lbs?-- and needed to establish control and leadership quickly. What may be more of a surprise is that I've been bitten a couple times by other's dogs.....but only small, hyper dogs. Can't read them very well so have gotten nipped several times when owners said they were friendly so I could pet them. Larger dogs I find much easier to read, never have problems with them. Just one person's experience and why I mentioned a small dog (a bit tongue in cheek) in my earlier post mentioning problem breeds.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never been to a dog park with mine. Just looks too risky. My two Bassett hounds are absolute lovers and roll on their backs for people or other dogs, I'd hate to have them injured. We have miles of bike/hiking trails and signs that say leashes required. I don't use the trails on weekends but during week might see one or two other people in an hour. The hounds love nothing better than exploring the woods off leash, and if I see anyone coming I re-leash them or at least hold collars till they pass. No one ever gives me the evil eye or seems to mind. One time they saw some deer and if it wasn't for the creek they couldn't cross I'd still be chasing them!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
We left the park and went to the police station where I asked what we are allowed/should do. The officer told us next time to shoot the dog or use pepper spray. I was kind of shocked at the shoot the dog comment even though we do have our CC, I don't usually think of taking a gun in a local park. I am now thinking about carrying pepper spray but I worry that if I spray a off leash aggressive dog in a situation like this back in the woods, I may have problems with the dog's owner.

I like dogs but I am really starting to dislike dog owners.
WOW! That's so extreme. What a dreadful situation.

One reason I love New Orleans, is that we are so civilized about things like this. We don't have unleashed dogs roaming throughout the neighborhoods at all. I presume that is because the fines for that are sufficient to deter those who would let their dogs run wild. At any rate, I have never seen an unleashed dog just ambling down the street, in the decades since I moved here.

We do have dog parks where they can be unleashed and (since I am a little afraid of big dogs) I just choose not to go there. It's fine with me if they run unleashed with their owners at a dog park.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been bitten a couple of times, and I somewhat jokingly say that the last thing I remember before being bitten was the owner saying "Oh, he/she won't bite"...

Luckily, the culprit both times was a yappy dog, and not a rottweiler.

Lots of leash scofflaws around here, and I do often remark that there IS a leash law in these parts.

As for dogs in general, I see many dogs who apparently have had no training at all.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Just for clarification, the times that my Border was off leash he was walking alongside me, under control, not lunging/barking at people.

One time, on a rural trail, a deer burst out of the bushes, crossed the trail, and headed into the brush.....Border glanced at it with an "Oh, look, a deer" expression....and kept walking.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I should carry a drone, and fly it at the dog owner's head.

"Oops, my bad, I thought it was ok to not have control of my drone. Bad drone, bad!"
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I thought it was ok to not have control of my drone.
The operative word being 'control'.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Oh this. So sorry for your bad experience OP.

First, Bama, the adjustment for your pup from country to city dog won't be terrible, but please no retractable leash. Those teach dogs to pull, unfortunately. And yes old dog/new tricks. I love Rotties--such softies!

Skip the dog park unless you have the patience of a saint! It's the people, not the dogs, that cause the most trouble. If you can find a time and place that is deserted, take them to run around off leash there and then. Otherwise it is better to let him be the couch potato he already probably is!

Phillie, we aren't kidding when we say Border Collies and other herding dogs are a lot of work. Oh my god are they! But with enough stimulation and activity, they probably won't eat all the drywall off your house when bored. Hopefully.

I've fostered nearly 100 dogs, mostly Border Collies, and placed dozens in their forever (we hope) homes.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The operative word being 'control'.
Perhaps if I made some sort of AI program which had a pseudo random number generator that decided if the drone would engage the face of the other person or just lick them. That would take away my responsibility since it would be the drone making the decision.

As a drone owner, I think drones should be able to roam freely and if they attack you it is just them being drones.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
As for dog parks. The one closest to us has one dog/owner that are dangerous... so if I see them or their car - I drive to the further one. The dog is extra aggressive and the owner doesn't do anything when the dog attacks other dogs in the dog park. Because of this - when that dog is there, he's usually by himself.
I've had a similar experience with dog parks. Most of the dogs there are well socialized and having fun, but there is always the asshat that has to bring their aggressive dog and do nothing as it goes around challenging the other dogs for dominance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #52

And then there is the other extreme...
Old 02-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
And then there is the other extreme...
What a nightmare. I'm sure the dogs are having a blast.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

The only dog in the vid that wasn't under control was the barker on the trail where the woman kept calling* its name.

(*The lady giving the first training course my Border attended said right from the start, "Don't repeat a command...your dog's not deaf, he heard you the first time".)

Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The only dog in the vid that wasn't under control was the barker on the trail where the woman kept calling* its name.

(*The lady giving the first training course my Border attended said right from the start, "Don't repeat a command...your dog's not deaf, he heard you the first time".)
I agree - he had the dogs under great control - even getting the pack to move to one side or the other to allow passing bikes and other dogs. Crossing the busy street was super impressive.

I didn't see a single dog ON leash in the video. Was it in Italy - I thought I heard some Italian. Def. wasn't US.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Phillie, we aren't kidding when we say Border Collies and other herding dogs are a lot of work. Oh my god are they! But with enough stimulation and activity, they probably won't eat all the drywall off your house when bored. Hopefully.

I've fostered nearly 100 dogs, mostly Border Collies, and placed dozens in their forever (we hope) homes.

Oh, I believe you. It's just in my daydreams, where I live on a ranch or sheep farm, that I have s Border Collie to work the farm, ride next to me in the pickup, and sleep at my feet in the evenings. Maybe Sam Shepard fits in there someplace also.

In real life I don't have the lifestyle for any breed of dog.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

We live on a long cul-de-sac next to a utility easement field. Despite no dogs signs, it's used as an informal dog park by the biggest collection of inconsiderate idiots. They drive the dogs over so that every underexercised dog barks like an idiot, play music on car stereos while they throw the ball for three minutes, show up before dawn in the summer, and leave bags of poop all over.

I was attacked twice last summer; once with my elderly dog, once alone. I just said "No, no, bad!" in my best you-have-crossed-the-line voice and they backed off. One owner put a leash on her dog and ran (!!!) away without even a word of apology. After several months of walking her leashed dog on the street, I've noticed that she's back to letting her dog run loose more or less in my front yard. We live three miles from one of the most spectacularly beautiful dog parks in the US, Del Mar's Dog Beach, but there's a nominal parking fee there, so they prefer the powerlines.

If I didn't live surrounded by old people, I'd seem like a
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post

In real life I don't have the lifestyle for any breed of dog.
I think this is the big issue with many dog owners... (obviously, NOT YOU). Too many dog owners have a lack of awareness that dogs require a certain lifestyle commitment. Dogs need exercise, lots of it. Dogs need training, lots of it. I'd never owned a dog prior to rescuing our current dog. It definitely is more work than a cat, more commitment.... and too many people aren't willing to put in the time to properly exercise and socialize/train their dog.

I had coworkers who would work 10-12 hours a day, then go to the brew pub after work... and their poor dogs weren't get walked, socialized, etc... It was almost abuse in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Was it in Italy - I thought I heard some Italian. Def. wasn't US.
From the comments posted on the YouTube site it appears it might be in Germany. The guy's name is apparently Heini.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I had coworkers who would work 10-12 hours a day, then go to the brew pub after work... and their poor dogs weren't get walked, socialized, etc... It was almost abuse in my opinion.
I agree so much. I don't know about all breeds of dogs, but I am familiar with toy poodles and in my opinion this would be almost criminally abusive for a toy poodle. They genuinely need a lot of affection and attention, and give a lot in return. Such sweet dogs.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote