Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Office bully/poisonous management
Old 01-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Spent 10 years working for a jack-@ss.* Eventually he burned too many bridges and was unpromotable.* So he left.* And I took his position.* Later found out he was laid-off from the job he took and started "consulting" out of his house.* I think he went from unpromotable to unemployable.

Moral of the story is that fate will eventually catch up with a jack-@ss.* Hang in there.
A class A jackass without the support of his peers or co-managers will be set out to dry by management, this happened to the alcoholic manager I had many years ago, he had no support.

However, those managers that can easily cover up their dirty deeds by keeping a squeaky clean exterior and sucking up to their own bosses, will usually get away with murder in the workplace.

My bully girl was that type, she had the charming image and had full support of management. When I complained about her rude behavior to HR, she throw a religious article of mine off of my table", they told me to settle it with her boss. He simply said lets all forget about it and get on with things.

Had the same offense been committed by non-management type, they would have been hung out to dry with disciplinary action filed against.

Being a union steward, I got involved with my union after the bullying attemtps on me, I went to Human Resourses and advised them that any loud yelling or screaming at any of my workers will be answered not by me, but by a call to the NYPD who will be advised by myself that so and so member of management was harrassing and intimidating one of my members, and that I would request that such manager be placed under arrest for such offense and let the NY Court system sort it out. The HR people were stunned when I said, they've never heard anyone tell them this before.

Needless to say, in the past 5 years after I let HR know my intentions, there has not been one case of yelling at any worker in my place. I am on the sh-t list in this government agency, but I stopped the verbal abuse. I know their moves before they know them, having studied their MO's for the past 6 years.

Management hates me, they ask me when I will retire, I just smile and say, "when I feel like it" Im currently in the rubber gun squad collecting almost 90 k a year drinking cawfee and bored as hell and look forward to ER.

Its union politics that is basically making things uncomfortable.
jug

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . . Moral of the story is that fate will eventually catch up with a jack-@ss.* Hang in there.
This is a nice thought . . . but it's not true. I know many jack-@ss executives that managed to reach escape velocity and will never suffer the painful heat of re-entry. And I also know extremely talented leaders who were crushed by executive treachery and chose to withdraw to comfortable positions outside the range of the @ssholes.

Sometimes the dragon wins.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
Sometimes the dragon wins.

Winning is finding your own peace.*
Old 01-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Bingo!, the essence of FIRE is the inner peace that comes with it, no money can buy it, its intangible, and if you can achieve that, ER even at a very low annual income can be very pleasant indeed.

Inner peace is having the "hole" inside of you filled and sated.

Im with you Brat, you understand the "light".
Shalom Alechiem
jug
Old 01-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I'm comfortable with this definition. I think most of us learn to satisfy ourselves rather than try to satisfy others by the time we reach adulthood -- if not much earlier. But I think it would be a mistake to believe that the jack-@sses we are talking about don't believe that they have found that too. My point is complementary to yours: that you need to find your own peace is clear. But it is also important that you don't have a need to believe that the @ssholes get what they deserve. Sometimes they don't get what they deserve and that is what I meant by, "Sometimes the dragon wins." Some people live a charmed existance even while they are making other's lives difficult. It happens. Stick with finding your own peace rather than waiting on the world to take care of the jack-@sses.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stick with finding your own peace rather than waiting on the world to take care of the jack-@sses.
Exactly!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Later found out he was laid-off from the job he took and started "consulting" out of his house. I think he
Was his name Mike Brown?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Makes me wonder how 'Brownie' got his nickname
Old 01-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

For those of you wiping the drool off your keyboard and looking up the address of your nearest recruiter, remember that I didn't join the military for the money and you shouldn't either. The military pension is only awarded to those surviving at least their first 20 years. Your military experience will vary from mine, and hopefully that's a good thing.

For those of you considering what your tax dollars are buying, remember that the military is earning "all of" that money so that you don't have to.

Good summary.

Some more of the downsides are potential spouse underemployment and an inability to accrue equity in real estate due to frequent moves and/or crappy duty stations (speaking from experience on both these accounts). I think we'll come out ahead of our non-military friends but only because we're saving and investing aggressively.

Husband just broke $100K this year as an O-3 with 8 years (3 years of that is prior enlisted service). Most of this is due to living in a high cost area (over $3000/month in housing and COLA) plus frequent deployments and hazardous duty. Despite the high cost of living in Japan we're banking quite a lot of it due to careful planning, lots of online shopping, and a few quirks of our location (cheap cars). It's a good deal for us, but only because the husband loves his work.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Makes me wonder how 'Brownie' got his nickname
I dont know, but he's doing a heck of a job...however he got it.

I would SO use this if I was still working and ended up dealing with some nimrod (a highly likely prospect) named, oh...say "Smith". At some point when hell and earth were crashing into each other, I'd have to utter..."Smithy...you're doing a heck of a job here" with a fake texas accent.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote