Join Early Retirement Today

Office chair recommendations
Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Office chair recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations on a comfortable office chair?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have an Aeron chair which is very comfortable. I am sure there are many others.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #3

I loved my Aeron. Facilities changed it on me during a redecoration, wish I could get it back...

R
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I loved my Aeron. Facilities changed it on me during a redecoration, wish I could get it back...

R
I lost my terrific chair in a redecoration, too. When we renovated while repairing the Katrina damage, we went to a modular system and new, identical chairs.

I had "inherited" my previous terrific chair from a scientist who got it by documenting a back problem, and then left a few years later. It was wonderful but I don't remember the brand - - not an Aeron. I don't know what ever became of it.

In my agency, everyone has to have identical chairs unless you can document a health condition that requires something different. Our standard chair (a Steelcase Leap) causes me all sorts of aches and pains so I wouldn't recommend it. Being 61 doesn't help.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I have an Aeron chair which is very comfortable. I am sure there are many others.
I looked into the Aeron but I'd like to spend $250 or less. I think the Aerons are $600-$800
Old 08-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I looked into the Aeron but I'd like to spend $250 or less. I think the Aerons are $600-$800
Why not shop for a chair and sit in various ones? I wouldn't want to buy an office chair that I had never tried out, that's for sure.

At my desk at home, I have a Louis XIV style chair (imitation, obviously) that is upholstered in ivory leather and was meant as a side chair. It isn't really an office chair and doesn't have the wheels or anything, but I like it. I don't spend 9+ hours/day sitting in it, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been looking for something that matches the Aeron (definitely comfort, ideally quality) for a reasonable amount of money for at least a couple of years with no luck. I do spend 8-12 hours a day during the week (on the days I am actually at home) in my office chair; so, I'm sure the cost/benefit analysis for the Aeron would work for me. But, I just can't force myself to drop that kind of cash on a chair. (I'm still wishing I had picked one or two up back in the early dot com bust days when they were being auctioned off at a small fraction of retail price. But, I did not realize how nice the chairs nor was I spending as much time in my home office back then.)
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations on a comfortable office chair?
Ah, a subject near and not dear to my upper body. I developed RSI (repetitive strain injury) over 25 years of sitting in chairs at desks that were not "fit" to my physical dimensions.
As W2R said, the best thing to do is document your back (or elsewhere) problems, get the OK to get a different chair for the w*rkplace, then go hit the stores in person. Your employer may even pay for it.
I found that the more adjustments the chair had, the better I could fit it to my body dimensions. Mine had a full back support, not the half ones that are so popular. I removed the short curved rubber arm rests, which were putting pressure on my forearms and elbows. A tilting seat pan (where you sit) is a critical element.
I would definitely recommend the ones that have the adjustable lumbar support (thumbwheel activated). I added some soft eggshell foam (2" thick) to the back of my chair to alleviate upper body (scapular region) aches.

This is very similar to the one I had.
http://www.ergostoreonline.com/np8000.html
Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Why not shop for a chair and sit in various ones? I wouldn't want to buy an office chair that I had never tried out, that's for sure.

At my desk at home, I have a Louis XIV style chair (imitation, obviously) that is upholstered in ivory leather and was meant as a side chair. It isn't really an office chair and doesn't have the wheels or anything, but I like it. I don't spend 9+ hours/day sitting in it, though.
I'm going to try before I buy. I think it's kind of tough to test drive a chair and predict how it's going to feel after 8 hours so I really appreciate all the responses. It will definitely give me a few things to look out for.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
But, I just can't force myself to drop that kind of cash on a chair.
I feel similar about spending that much on a chair, especially since I'll only be spending about ~15 hours a week in it. I wonder if there are any imitations of the aero that work well?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I would definitely recommend the ones that have the adjustable lumbar support (thumbwheel activated). I added some soft eggshell foam (2" thick) to the back of my chair to alleviate upper body (scapular region) aches.

This is very similar to the one I had.
Neutral Posture 8000 Ergonomic Chairs at ErgoStoreOnline

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eye out for one with a thumbwheel activated lumbar support. This chair will be for my home...but my chair at work isn't the best either. If I can find a decent one, maybe I'll put in a request for it or if it's not too expensive pay for it out of my pocket.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my eye out for one with a thumbwheel activated lumbar support. This chair will be for my home...but my chair at work isn't the best either. If I can find a decent one, maybe I'll put in a request for it or if it's not too expensive pay for it out of my pocket.
YW
Here's an excellent overview of office ergonomics.
Office Ergonomics - Yahoo! Health
Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I have been looking for something that matches the Aeron (definitely comfort, ideally quality) for a reasonable amount of money for at least a couple of years with no luck. I do spend 8-12 hours a day during the week (on the days I am actually at home) in my office chair; so, I'm sure the cost/benefit analysis for the Aeron would work for me. But, I just can't force myself to drop that kind of cash on a chair. (I'm still wishing I had picked one or two up back in the early dot com bust days when they were being auctioned off at a small fraction of retail price. But, I did not realize how nice the chairs nor was I spending as much time in my home office back then.)
Quote:
I feel similar about spending that much on a chair, especially since I'll only be spending about ~15 hours a week in it. I wonder if there are any imitations of the aero that work well?
Add my vote to the Aeron club. Never found an imitation-- the screen-mesh seat & back are difficult to assemble, don't last long if done cheaply, and usually don't have warranty support.

We have two Aerons in our house, each with the lumbar support add-on. We bought them from a Craigslist seller who was so eager to leave the islands that I thought she'd broken into her boyfriend's house and was selling all his stuff. Still not sure.

$450 each, but by far the best money I'll ever drop on a chair. Amazing warranty support-- when a bearing finally wore out in one chair, the manufacturer actually sent an office-equipment tech out to our house(!) to fix both of them on our front lanai. They only wanted to know the chair's serial numbers and they could've cared less about who originally bought them or how long ago. I spend up to 12 hours a day at our computer desk, and the Aeron is the only chair I've ever had that has never given me a sore back. And unlike any other chair I've ever owned, during Kona weather I don't end up soaking my clothes and sitting in a puddle of sweat.

I was pretty skeptical when spouse ordered us to drive "all the way to Hawaii Kai" to look at them, but she's spent serious time on the military's PACOM HQ watch floor. Their entire floor (over 120 stations) is equipped with Aerons, and she says it's the only chair she's ever been able to sit in for a 12-hour watch.

After 20 years in the submarine force I'm pretty easy to please with creature comforts and I don't maintain a high standard of living. I certainly don't get passionate about furniture, but I appreciate a finely crafted tool. I have a reputation of being somewhat frugal, perhaps even cheap, but these chairs have been well worth the money. I'd even pay retail.

Craigslist or, if you're near a military base, the Defense Reutilization Management Office (DRMO). Or, heck, ask the retail outlet if they'll let you test-drive it at your desk for a couple days.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

^^^
I searched Craigslist and found a furniture liquidation place about a half hour from me. They have a few Aerons for $450 so I'll probably check them out along with some others.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried out the Aeron today. I was very impressed. I'm surprised they don't make more chairs (especially airline seats) with better lumber support. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on a chair but if I can find a good deal I might jump on it. I think Herman Miller offers a 10 year warranty so I figure if I keep the chair for 10 years it would be worth it.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My current home office chair that I'm in now cost me $8 @ Goodwill. There is a small rub/rip on the leather arm rest. I hardly notice it. It's a regular $4-500 chair that is sold at many office products stores.

LBYM

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I sit in a Herman Miller. My boss...sigh...has an Aeron. Mine is fine for me, but I'm young and spry. Were I to have any back troubles, then I'd be first in line harping on him every day to get me one of the ones like he has.

I think if you've got troubles, you'd be well advised to really check out the Aeron--it is the difference between pain and no pain for him. Otherwise, the basic Herman Miller secretarial chair (with arms is what I've got) is just fine.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
What is it with Aeron? Where I used to w--k the office got Aeron chairs for everyone, and everyone loved them except me. For some reason it felt confining, too hard, and very uncomfortable. I refused to use it, and was told that there was no other option.

So I put it out in the hallway, went down to Office Max, and brought in one of those cushioned office chairs that swivel, for about $200. Worked fine, and emphasized my non-conformist ways, which is probably another reason I no longer w--k there or anywhere
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've had an Aeron in my office for about 10 years. As expensive as it was (I bought it when I was younger/stupider), there's nothing else like it. When I retire, the chair is coming home with me (seriously).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #20

My Aeron chair is at home and was a gift. I sit in a standard issue office chair at work, and it is just fine. I don't have back problems and could sit on a wooden chair all day for what it's worth. I have enough natural padding.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote