Office-Space Style Hypnosis

Marshac

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have a similar request to the one in Office Space when he went to go see the hypnotist...

"Can't you just hypnotize me & make me think I've been fishing all day?"

My fiance got into nursing school (good!), but now we're stuck here in the middle of WA state for the next two years (bad!). The reason why I returened to my old employer (other than the $) was to provide some IT know-how and assist them on bidding for a slice of government pie with the understanding that I would then work for the 'new' office... well, this scenario is becoming more and more unlikely (the 50mi radius thing... from another thread), and as I said before, I am now tied to this region for 2 more years. The old standby option of "quit, and find something better" is not currently an option.... any ideas on how to make the best of 2 potentialy non-productive/boring years?

Marshac said:
My fiance got into nursing school (good!), but now we're stuck here in the middle of WA state for the next two years (bad!). any ideas on how to make the best of 2 potentialy non-productive/boring years?
Where are you? Ellensburg? Bellingham? Cheney?

I've lived in or near all these, and think it would easy to find very interesting things to do for 2 years or forever.

HaHa said:
Where are you? Ellensburg? Bellingham? Cheney?

I've lived in or near all these, and think it would easy to find very interesting things to do for 2 years or forever.

Yakima. You have ideas?

I love Bellingham... went to college there :) I would live there again except it's one of the top places to retire to according to kiplinger's, and none of the jobs in the region pay enough to support a death grip (mortgage). :(

Marshac said:
Yakima. You have ideas?

I have to admit, Yakima is tougher.  Outdoor activites- ski-ing at White Pass, floating/fishing the Yakima River. hiking on Rainier, elk hunting to the northwest. Yakima and nearby is high ranking for these kind of things.

One of my sons has enjoyed visiting wineries along the Columbia. For culture and indoor entertainment though, I would say you are out of luck.

Anyway, it should help your GF buckle down and study. I would guess that a 2 year nursing program runs retty fast.

Good luck,
M

I was 26 yrs old before I realized 'back East' didn't start at Yakima or the Cascade divide running along White Pass, Snowqualame, etc.

If a hurricane blows us out of the swamp - just to dream - haven't lived in the Desert SW yet. Eastern Washington was an exotic foreign land to a west slope cat like me.

One thing I love about this state- you can drive from a rainforest to the desert in just a handfull of hours... how many places on earth can claim the same? :)

Marshac said:
One thing I love about this state- you can drive from a rainforest to the desert in just a handfull of hours... how many places on earth can claim the same?  :)
I can do it in about 20 minutes. And on the Big Island we can add snow to the mix, although that drive takes longer.

unclemick2 said:
I was 26 yrs old before I realized 'back East' didn't start at Yakima or the Cascade divide running along White Pass, Snowqualame, etc.

Come back Mick, and have a RaaaaiiiiiNeeeeeeeerBeeeeeeeeer!

M

Yakima. Aren't there alot of vinyards there? Find a budding nurse, stomp some grapes, and go from there.

BTW I'm with Martha. If you are planning a family, "git 'er done"! A 20something can have a few kids grown and gone and RE as a 40something. Not bad.

BUM

Rainer beer - Light, Not so Light, and Light Light - or something like that. Not to mention Biltz Weinhard and Lucky Lager.

BUM said:
Yakima. Aren't there alot of vinyards there? Find a budding nurse, stomp some grapes, and go from there.

BTW I'm with Martha. If you are planning a family, "git 'er done"! A 20something can have a few kids grown and gone and RE as a 40something. Not bad.

BUM

My great uncle came from around Yakima. Fell in love with my grandad's
sister and moved here. Stayed 40+ years. After she died he went right back to Wash. He used to talk about Washington all the time.
Missed it I guess.

JG

BUM said:

BUM

Amen to this. I had my last child at age 40. I wouldn't trade her for anything
but the timing is still a fly in the ER ointment (damn fine metaphor) :)

JG

BUM said:
BTW I'm with Martha. If you are planning a family, "git 'er done"! A 20something can have a few kids grown and gone and RE as a 40something.

I wasn't planning on kids until my 30s. I see a plethora of baby avatar pics… how old were people here when they started on their progeny?

I was 33 when we had our first child. It was hard to keep up
with the younger dads at soccer practice but no other problems.

Cheers,

Charlie

Younger son was born when I was 39; older (step) son came a bit later but was 18 at the time when I was 41. So I still have one at home in high school. I wouldn't trade him for the world (most days). I do not mind working a bit longer, but when he goes off to college wife & I may head to the South Pacific.
No trouble keeping up with the younger dads, coached YMCA basketball for 4 seasons. All this has kept me young and having the uncertainty of the younger son's college costs has caused me to work longer than I might have had to. But it has allowed me to add more funds to my retirement and my job has lost a lot of its stress after 30+ years so I have a no lose situation, working is OK and if I want to leave --I go.

I'm 30, planning on having the second (and possibly last) child at 33. I'm doing two triathlons this summer, still feeling good! I think it's a use it or lose it thing. Stay active and you'll feel young a lot longer. My G-ma is almost 80, plays tennis twice a week, bowls once a week, went to Iceland and climbed a glacier there.

Back
Top Bottom