Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

Haley's voice is weakest in the low range, so I think the start of the song will be underwhelming. The melody of the song is not a great melody, unlike I who have nothing which has a nice melody but angry/sad words, this song has an angry melody and angry words, I just don't think it will do anything to show off what a great singer she is, I think Adele type songs are better for showing her off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out this article and video about Scotty's official "top 3" home town visit. His Idol, Josh Turner, joined him on stage! I gotta hand it to Scotty - 17 years old and he handles himself like an old pro. His parents must be so proud of him

Scotty McCreery Surprised By Josh Turner At Homecoming Concert - Reality Rocks

Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although Ryan Seacrest never mentioned her in last night's TV program, despite introducing singer/songwriter Neil Sedaka from the front row of the live audience, did any others of you also see Mrs. Elvis Presley early in the show, when the camera panned the live audience? And, may I say, for a 65-year-old, Priscilla has perhaps the best plastic surgery job that money can buy.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #184

Haley didn't make it to the finale. But, as a 'Baby Boomer' who has enjoyed pop and "alternative" music all my life, I have been pleased to learn, from what she has shared these past few episodes, that her parents gave her a healthy musical education as she grew up. She's gonna do well as a professional musical entertainer in the years to come. You go, girl!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Haley didn't make it to the finale. But, as a 'Baby Boomer' who has enjoyed pop and "alternative" music all my life, I have been pleased to learn, from what she has shared these past few episodes, that her parents gave her a healthy musical education as she grew up. She's gonna do well as a professional musical entertainer in the years to come. You go, girl!
+1

Scotty vs. Lauren is a snoozefest. They're nice kids, but I would have found a Haley vs. James finale much more interesting.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Although Ryan Seacrest never mentioned her in last night's TV program, despite introducing singer/songwriter Neil Sedaka from the front row of the live audience, did any others of you also see Mrs. Elvis Presley early in the show, when the camera panned the live audience? And, may I say, for a 65-year-old, Priscilla has perhaps the best plastic surgery job that money can buy.
Yup, DH and I spotted her too. She does look good.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #187

Quote:
And, may I say, for a 65-year-old, Priscilla has perhaps the best plastic surgery job that money can buy.
Actually, her (Elvis's!) money did not buy the best plastic surgery:

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Priscilla Presley’s face is the result of a plastic surgery scam artist

TMZ has learned Priscilla Presley is the victim of a botched cosmetic procedure. What’s worse — it was at the hands of a gigolo who was sent to prison for perpetrating an injectable scam on Hollywood’s elite.

Priscilla, whose face looks … strange on “Dancing with the Stars,” went to Dr. Daniel Serrano around 2003. Serrano was a good-looking doc from Argentina who hooked into Hollywood’s social A-list and started giving them what he claimed were miracle injections that worked better than Botox.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #188
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
+1

Scotty vs. Lauren is a snoozefest. They're nice kids, but I would have found a Haley vs. James finale much more interesting.
+1. Definitely.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

+1

I'll be watching next week not to see who wins (because I really don't care that much) but to see what guest stars perform.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I'll agree with the other agreers. Haley's choice of "What is and what should never be" was awesome. Great song, with lots of opportunities for expression. And not your typical AI song at all, not at all. So that was very cool.

And even though I like Haley, I still find about 10-20% of every performance to just not be clicking with me. Like I said before, to my ears she slurs over the words in some lines and just does not convey the meaning, or she just loses it somewhere. Other performers nail every performance, and for me she hasn't. Still very good though. Subjective stuff, so it's hard to put in words.

Having her Dad play guitar was way cool though. He was great! I should check out his band - Wheeling, IL is in our general area so it should be easy to find a venue nearby that he plays. Though I'm sure they'll be packed now!

-ERD50
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'll agree with the other agreers. Haley's choice of "What is and what should never be" was awesome. Great song, with lots of opportunities for expression. And not your typical AI song at all, not at all. So that was very cool.

And even though I like Haley, I still find about 10-20% of every performance to just not be clicking with me. Like I said before, to my ears she slurs over the words in some lines and just does not convey the meaning, or she just loses it somewhere. Other performers nail every performance, and for me she hasn't. Still very good though. Subjective stuff, so it's hard to put in words.

Having her Dad play guitar was way cool though. He was great! I should check out his band - Wheeling, IL is in our general area so it should be easy to find a venue nearby that he plays. Though I'm sure they'll be packed now!

-ERD50
I think it was during the second song that Haley did Wednesday night that made me think she could have done a Maria Muldaur song quite well. Haley has the perfect tone and phrasing for that. (Anyone else think that Haley's dad looked like the brother of Michael McKean?)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

I think Lauren did a bit better tonight but Scotty will win. We'll see tomorrow night. Looking back on this season, I think this might be my favorite performance. Beautiful lady, great song, and true emotional connection. Love this. "I'll hold out my hand, and my heart will be in it".

Old 05-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #193
Administrator

Oh no! I can't believe that I missed the finale! I thought it was tomorrow night.

I'll bet they were both wonderful, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Scotty Wins Season 10!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Scotty Wins Season 10!

So how 'bout that Scotty! No surprise, huh? Good finale. My highlights: Haley and Tony Bennett, Lauren and Carrie Underwood, James and Judias Priest. I also thought Beyonce was terrific, particularly on her second song. So long Idol for another year.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #195
Administrator

Nope, no surprise.. I really enjoyed the show, too. It was great to see the rest of the top 13 and hear them again. I cracked up when James and Casey were talking about getting voted off and which was the biggest surprise, and then Pia walks up ...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I cracked up when James and Casey were talking about getting voted off and which was the biggest surprise, and then Pia walks up ...
Yeah, that was pretty funny!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #197

Criminy, Steven Tyler must be very expensive. He is being paid by the second or what.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #198

This was certainly a great season with all contestants being very strong. Now I am getting myself ready for "So you think you can Dance".
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Criminy, Steven Tyler must be very expensive. He is being paid by the second or what.

...he's getting paid 18 million a year for his stint on Idol.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #200
Administrator

I loved Haley's duet with Tony Bennett last night. Their voices blended beautifully. He did a pretty good song and dance performance for an 85-year-old, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851