Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Want to re-watch one of the performances?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Want to re-watch one of the performances?

MJS Big Blog has high quality vids here:

American Idol 10 – Top 12 Boys – Performance Recap | mjsbigblog
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Thank you Steven Tyler
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Thank you Steven Tyler

For saving Naima. Her rendition of "For All We Know" was why I stick with this cheesy show. Beautiful. Love her.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gosh that huge stage, video backsreen, band and singers just muffled everyone out this week! They sang much much better when they simplified and had piano and light back up - but unfortunately it was too late for most of them as they were singing for their life then! I hope the producers/directors took note because most of them sounded terrible and drowned out...only 2-3 each nite stood out...

I'm really surprised the young man from NY or NJ (the one who looks like he could be in saturday night fever) didn't make it through and the other kid did from CA?

Other than that no other big surprises...At least they are cutting to the chase and going straight to 10, although it might have been nice to cut a few less the first week and then cut since the stage and sound worked against most of them...
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #24

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

I don't see a clear favorite at this point.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Gosh that huge stage, video backsreen, band and singers just muffled everyone out this week! They sang much much better when they simplified and had piano and light back up - ...
I agree. Seems to me that the earlier seasons were much more stripped down - it wasn't until the later shows that they brought in the bigger bands and backup singers. I hear so much reverb on some of these singers that it is hard to actually hear their voices. Then too much of the band, background singers, etc - it's just too overdone to hear the individual.

Maybe the judges get a different mix?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I agree. Seems to me that the earlier seasons were much more stripped down - it wasn't until the later shows that they brought in the bigger bands and backup singers. I hear so much reverb on some of these singers that it is hard to actually hear their voices. Then too much of the band, background singers, etc - it's just too overdone to hear the individual.

Maybe the judges get a different mix?

-ERD50
Yeah, i was thinking it must sound different to the people who are there live because the judges really liked most of them and it sounded terrible to me at home! The morning after the boys Ryan Seacrest (also our local radio jockey haha) said they were all amazing - I was confused! But I do recall some of the judges saying it often sounds different when they watch it played back at home as to why the audience votes may differ from what the judges heard...

It was disappointing because they all sounded really amazing leading up to last week and then to have the first week be so off and have so many cut almost seems unfair...but I'm sure those kids will get a shot somewhere if it is meant to be...
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
For saving Naima. Her rendition of "For All We Know" was why I stick with this cheesy show. Beautiful. Love her.

She's from Milwaukee....we are ALL pulling for her, like Danny Gokey a couple years ago..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I’m a woman who’s in the middle of becoming a James Durbin fan. Color me amazed.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe I’m a woman who’s in the middle of becoming a James Durbin fan. Color me amazed.
James is still my favorite, even though I like him better when he screams. Then again, remember that the fact that he is my favorite means he's doomed. Last year my favorite was Siobhan Magnus. Also, I'm not sure James will be able to handle the pressure as he seems a little flaky. We'll see.

Also like Lauren, Scott, Thia, Casey, and Haley.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

It'll be interesting to see how Scott "Baby Lock Them Doors" McCreery handles the various themes.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how Scott "Baby Lock Them Doors" McCreery handles the various themes.
Yes. Sometimes he seems to me like a "one trick pony", with that great, deep, country western voice. He sure is good at that one genre, and I can't help but like him because he seems like such a decent person. But pop, for example? I can't quite imagine him singing that sort of song.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes. Sometimes he seems to me like a "one trick pony", with that great, deep, country western voice. He sure is good at that one genre, and I can't help but like him because he seems like such a decent person. But pop, for example? I can't quite imagine him singing that sort of song.
I like Scott too and have to remember he's just a kid. It will be a challenge for him to take on something different - imagine a "Sinatra" theme

I do think the experience will be good for Scott and help him expand his natural abilities.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Pia knocked it out of the park, along with Casey and James Durbin. Naima did ok, the best part was the dancing and the reggae section, maybe she can sing reggae??

Glad to see the judges be more honest and give critique for once. Time to quit babying them so much. I say either Ashton or Haley goes home tonight, pretty easy call on that.........

Durbin is better than Adam Lambert, easily.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been able to figure out why so many people like Casey. I don't see anything good with him. I think he's one of the 4 worst. I think James is the best overall but I will get tired of his screaming fast so I hope he keeps it under control.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I haven't been able to figure out why so many people like Casey. I don't see anything good with him. I think he's one of the 4 worst. I think James is the best overall but I will get tired of his screaming fast so I hope he keeps it under control.
Casey is way talented, he just has his own style. Most folks don't listen to Joe Coker and Scremin' Jay Hawkins anyways. We'll see how he sings pop and rock and roll..........

Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Pia is going to win. Right now, she can outsing almost anyone on the pop charts right now except Rihanna, Beyonce and Christina Aguilera. She has a stronger voice than Kesha, Lady Gaga, Jessica Simpson, and Britney, and pretty much anyone else. Haven't seen power like that since Kelly Clarkson on AI!!! She has the power of Mariah Carey and the range to match...........those notes are sick..........

Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Pia is going to win. Right now, she can outsing almost anyone on the pop charts right now except Rihanna, Beyonce and Christina Aguilera. She has a stronger voice than Kesha, Lady Gaga, Jessica Simpson, and Britney, and pretty much anyone else. Haven't seen power like that since Kelly Clarkson on AI!!! She has the power of Mariah Carey and the range to match...........those notes are sick..........
I think she has a very good chance but don't think she has it in the bag quite yet. Pia has a terrific voice, is gorgeous, and has a very likeable personality. While her performances have been near perfect, I'd like to see something a little more exciting from her. Gaga sings OK, but puts on quite a unique show - that's why she's successful. IMHO Pia needs to bring something more than a great voice and good looks to the competition. This being said, she's my #1 at this point.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I agree - - Pia has the voice but needs to show some personality and connection with her audience if she is going to win.

James is my favorite right now. I'd love to hear him in a duet with Steven Tyler at the finals.

I also like Hayley but I doubt she will last another week.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
James is my favorite right now. I'd love to hear him in a duet with Steven Tyler at the finals.

I also like Hayley but I doubt she will last another week.
James last performance was (as Randy says) a bit "pitchy". Even so, he's an interesting and exciting performer. I too would love to see him perform with Tyler!

I also like Haley. I particularly liked her performance of Blue.

Next week's theme is Motown music. Can't wait to see what Scotty does with that! Could be Naima's chance to redeem herself. Her performance of For All We Know blew me away, but she's been pretty awful the last couple of weeks.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I like James too, but I think he might get an unfair advantage when Ryan said "if he makes it to the finals he will sing with Steven Tyler" it will probably garner more votes for him just to see the duet....