Join Early Retirement Today

Note to all Season 10 Idol Contestants
Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Note to all Season 10 Idol Contestants

This is how you do Motown week. Teenagers - pay particular attention

Yeah, "disabled on youtube" - double click on vid to view. Worth it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I really liked Lauren ALaina's "turn on the radio" three weeks back. I'm not much of a country singer lover but I liked her version of it. I went on You Tube and listened to the original by Reba McEntire and I thought Lauren's was better. That being said I thought the last two weeks she was just plain boring!

I think James is "Adam Lambert" lite. I have liked most of what he has done but he really reminds me of Adam.

Pia is beautiful and a great singer but she reminds me of how good Melinda Doolittle was (ever hear anything about what she is doing now?). I think she has to step it up a notch if she wants to win or be in the finale.

I don't get what people see in Casey. He reminds me of the white haired guy who won that I can't remember his name but he didn't sell many records.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Bottom three guesses for tonight

So who do you think will be in the bottom three tonight? My guess is Stefano, Haley and Thia, with HAley going home.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
So who do you think will be in the bottom three tonight?
I have no idea, because last night's performances were so strong. Just about every singer gave one of their best performances.

Gotta love Motown week.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #45
Administrator

James won, hands down! He is amazing and has been my favorite for a while.

Also Naima was very strong, much to my surprise since I didn't like her singing before. I thought her performance last night was outstanding.

However, I read rumors that Naima is going home. I wish it would be Paul, instead. My guess for the bottom three is Naima (unfortunately!), Paul, and, I dunno, maybe Casey.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Pia was purrfection! Yeah, I know she needs to do something uptempo, but damn that woman can sing. Also liked James and Naima - solid performances and very entertaining.

Bottom three prediction - Casey, Thia and Haley with Haley going home.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haley showed off her legs this week. I predict she will not be in the bottom 3.

Pia was great but her outfit failed to reveal much of her lovelier assets. That could hurt her although I still think she will survive.

I don't get Paul, Casey and Thia. Those are my bottom 3 choices. Stefano said he was going to sing with his eyes open but then kept them shut for most of his performance. He is a likeable guy but could be in trouble.

I still miss Simon. Steven Tyler seems to have a never ending pallet of goofy little phrases. They are so stupid that I'm kinda warming up to them. And just when I think he has used them all up he fires out another little platitude that is so goofy it cracks me up. J-Lo seems to flirt a bunch with the male singers. Love having J-Lo to look at during the judging.

I'm even having more respect for Seacrest. Never thought much of him before. But I'm starting to appreciate his subtle genius of fluidly keeping the show moving and making everything seem great all the time. He may be the utlimate genius behind the show. YMMV
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post

I still miss Simon. Steven Tyler seems to have a never ending pallet of goofy little phrases. They are so stupid that I'm kinda warming up to them. And just when I think he has used them all up he fires out another little platitude that is so goofy it cracks me up. J-Lo seems to flirt a bunch with the male singers. Love having J-Lo to look at during the judging.

I'm even having more respect for Seacrest. Never thought much of him before. But I'm starting to appreciate his subtle genius of fluidly keeping the show moving and making everything seem great all the time. He may be the utlimate genius behind the show. YMMV
I totally agree. I miss Simon but I'm pleasantly surprised at how entertaining Steve Tyler. I also don't miss the fake arguments between Simon and Ryan.

One thing about J-Lo... it seems she sometimes competes with Lady Gaga on finding the most unflattering hairstyles, make-up and clothes. I thought her make-up last night looked horrible. One thing I like about her, she doesn't "flirt" with anyone like Paula or the songwriter who I can't remember her name. I really got tired off Paula being all over SImon and then the other one last year taking up where Paula left off.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Pia was purrfection! Yeah, I know she needs to do something uptempo, but damn that woman can sing. Also liked James and Naima - solid performances and very entertaining.

Pia is the next Mariah Carey/Celine Dion/Whitney Houston, her voice is off the charts. Win or lose, she will see LOTS of albums. She needs coaching on the "swagger" part of it, but that can be learned..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Pia is the next Mariah Carey/Celine Dion/Whitney Houston, her voice is off the charts. Win or lose, she will see LOTS of albums. She needs coaching on the "swagger" part of it, but that can be learned..........
Pia reminds me more of Carrie Underwood. Different style of singing, but great voice and beautiful. She also comes across well - modest and very likeable. I remember Carrie needed to learn the "swagger" too - she was a sweet little girl fresh from the farm. Carrie learned well!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Exciting show last night. ONe of the better results shows they have had. Our recorder missed the last few minutes because (surprise, surprise) the show went past 1 hour.

Saw on the news today they made the tour 11 instead of 10. Nice thing to do but you would thought they would wait a week to decide since that would have made "better TV". I was wondering how they would eliminate 2 but have only 1 spot on the tour.

Did anyone else have a commercial come on in the middle of one of the "elimination" segments? We had a CHarter commercial show about the time Ryan said let's "dim the lights". I was wondering if it happened outside of where CHarter is sold.

It's been a great season so far.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #52
Administrator

I wouldn't have missed last night's show for anything! I thought Casey was going to completely lose it when the judges decided to use their save.

Personally, I thought they should not have used it so early in the season. I suspect that Casey is going to be eliminated before too long despite the save.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wouldn't have missed last night's show for anything! I thought Casey was going to completely lose it when the judges decided to use their save.

Personally, I thought they should not have used it so early in the season. I suspect that Casey is going to be eliminated before too long despite the save.
+1

Seems like an early save wasted. I can't get past his look of a cherubic lumberjack. And when he finally had his hair combed during his performance earlier this week he looked like a combination wolfman / cherubic lumberjack.
Color the hair black and he looks like the spitting image of e86s54.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Great results show!! Stevie Wonder singing happy birthday to Steven Tyler was super. And how about that Hulk Hogan? I thought James was going to pass out.

Casey's save? I can understand why they saved him. I just hope he listens to Jennifer's advice and gives us less antics and more of that cool vibe we saw earlier in the season.

Next week's theme is going to be songs from the 80s. Some song suggestions:

Casey - I'm Still Standing by Elton John
James - Sweet Child of Mine by Guns 'n Roses
Pia - With or Without You by U2
Naima - Redemption Song by Bob Marley
Paul - Every Breath You Take by The Police
Haley - Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes
Scotty - Anything by Johnny Cash!!

Edited to add: Now the Idol blogs are saying the theme will be Elton John. We'll see. Would keep the same song choice as above for Casey ;-)
Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #55

i think they used the save because there are several still around they wouldn't save! So I'm guessing they knew it wouldn't be needed later - unless for some odd reason Pia, James or Jacob were at the bottom - but I suspect they also know the vote counts and whether that is a possibility or not - so unless they do a horrible performance then they feel comfortable...

I really liked Casey during the auditions but he has been trying too darn hard during the show. His musical whimsy is amazing, fun and interesting but so far he has just been roaring and groaning...I can hear Simon say, "you're a little bit scary" or "be careful"...!!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #56

Yeah, I don't know why Paul keeps on going either. It was amazing when he sang Backbird though.. I think he does better at a softer tone like Randy said. Thea has no upper register. I felt Stefano and Thea would be in Bottom 2, but I didn't expect Casey, but then, I had no idea who would be in Bottom 3.

When it gets to Casey, I think looks matter. Or rather, the way he looks into the camera matters. When he pulls down his chin and his eyes look into the camera, it makes him look like one of those crazy mentally insane criminals. (Sorry!) He should definitely stop doing that. Raise his chin up a little and do some slow ballat or something, while looking AWAY from the camera.

Steven Tyler is sooo fun to watch. I look forward to hearing his goofy phrases and what he wears (dude looks like a lady! LOL!) I love his music.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

While I do love Pia, I think Lauren could be a sleeper. She reminds me of a cross between Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. A strong voice, prettier than Kelly but not near as pretty as Carrie. But she needs to do better on song choice - delivery hasn;t been much of an issue for her.

I also really like Thia's voice, but I'm not yet convinced the rest of the package is there (like it is with Pia).

I don't get the save for Casey. I think you need to reserve the save for someone who will make the finals, and I don't think Casey will.

And I like Paul, but his days are numbered.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

I find Pia extremely boring to listen to....nothing but ballads. I agree that she has a great voice, but I can barely stand to listen to her. I don't see her being a pop singer at all and in my opinion, that's where the real money is. Perhaps her popularity will fall into a Celine Dionne type of crowd. I'd like to see her change my mind by doing something more up tempo and more pop oriented.

I like the contestants that bring something different to the competition...like Paul (yeah, not the greatest voice in the world, but definately not boring), Naima, Casey and James.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Anything you're hoping to hear tonight? Elton John did so many great songs. James - please do "Rocket Man"!! Also, I'd love to hear Pia do "Your Song". If you don't remember it, here's a nice version by Ellie Goulding.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #60

I loved last nite's show! Casey showed that he is an excellent singer - and so many of them showed their ability to take feedback and learn from the week before! Casey, and Jacob did particularly well in that vein for me...