Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And I thought both Pia and James would be finalists

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
And I thought both Pia and James would be finalists
The "best" person almost never wins. Both James and Pia will do fine.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scotty's pulling a lot of votes. Haley got a little pouty but it seemed to invigorate the voters. James took 4th, so did Daughtry, and his career seems to be just fine.......

Scotty should just move to Nashville after Idol and get tutored and skip HS and cut a record. Why go back to NC, he will be part of country for many years.......

No matter what, this year will be the best Idol winner in 3 years. Kris Allen? Boring. Lee Dewyze? weak. At least in the top 3 there is real talent that could sell albums. The last Idol that really was an idol is Carrie Underwood.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #164

This year was the first year I've watched Idol and I made it all the way to two weeks ago. I've thought Scotty would win from the start but I think he'll do ok no matter what. Still won't get me to like country music though.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
This year was the first year I've watched Idol and I made it all the way to two weeks ago. I've thought Scotty would win from the start but I think he'll do ok no matter what. Still won't get me to like country music though.
So we got 2 country music finalists and a blues/jazz girl. Of the three left, haley is by far the most versatile vocally. Casey and Haley schooled everyone in taking risks and being versatile enough to sing multiple genres........

Taking on Adele, Michael Jackson and Alicia Keys would be considered suicide by most Idol contestants, but Haley made it happen!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I think personality-wise, these three are all a little weak. Haley can be a little off-putting with her poor me act, and I prefer to listen to her without watching her. She sounds really, really great most of the time, but is not my favorite to watch.

Lauren sings great on some things, but has a lot to learn, and her self confidence is sometimes missing when it's needed and sometimes too much there when it's innappropriate, haha.

Scotty is pretty boring, he doesn't really have any facial expressions other than his no expression mr cool look or a smirky smile. His act comes across as playing at being a country singer, he's exaggerating affectations that a country singer would do, it doesn't come across as being from the heart. Of course, he's young, he has a lot of room to mature. I would never buy that style of music, but I can appreciate some people that are good at it like Carrie Underwood or Garth Brooks. Scotty has a long road to get to that level of performance, or he can always just appeal to little girls and grandmas and he'll do fine, anyway, haha.

This isn't a talent show, it's who can get the most votes, so Scotty will win this thing without a doubt.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #167

I have to admit, I was surprised that James got voted off. I thought for sure it would be Haley, but maybe she got the sympathy vote after Randy chewed on her a bit
Old 05-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I have to admit, I was surprised that James got voted off. I thought for sure it would be Haley, but maybe she got the sympathy vote after Randy chewed on her a bit
I wasn't happy either that James got voted off, but his strong emotional talks were really starting to annoy me (sorry to say I thought his half-crying Without You was self indulgent), so I have a feeling that might have turned off more people than just me. It was kind of funny when he said he brought the metal back (he did one metal at the beginning.) His Journey rendition was sooo very good though.

Haley has gotten better and better as the season has progressed IMO.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #169

IF Lauren comes through strong the last weeks, she just might be the upset. Personally, I thought at this point, James was the most bankable.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I'm fine with this final three. Even so, I did get a little misty eyed with James' departure.

The Idol machine loves to create drama, fan wars and have "shocking eliminations" - good for ratings. I fell for it in season 8 with the Adam/Gokey thing.

This group is very talented and will do just fine. I look forward to the finale. No so happy with the judging though - might switch my allegiance to X-Factor - Paula and Simon together again!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Yes, James leaving was a surprise - I thought he might make it to the final two. Like his voice - he had some great performances - but not crazy about him - too much of a drama queen.

Haley has demonstrated steady improvement over the course of the competition and can do some nice performances, but has been inconsistent, particularly on song choice.

Scotty has been consistently good from the first audition, is very likeable and probably the new favorite with James gone.

I think Lauren is the sleeper - good voice, attractive, good performances and likeable but lacking in self confidence.

I'll go out on a limb - Scotty and Lauren in the finals and Lauren is the winner. Guess I have a 16.5% chance of being right.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #172

According to intrade.com, people are betting on Scotty.
Intrade - Markets
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Here are the songs the judges chose for them to sing next week:

Lauren - "I Hope You Dance" by LeAnn Womack
Haley - "You Ought to Know” by Alanis Morissette
Scotty - “She Believes In Me” by Kenny Rogers
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Here are the songs the judges chose for them to sing next week:

Lauren - "I Hope You Dance" by LeAnn Womack
Haley - "You Ought to Know” by Alanis Morissette
Scotty - “She Believes In Me” by Kenny Rogers
Wow! They sure picked a sucky song for Haley, compared to the other two selections. It's an uptempo semi-angry song compared to the two ballads. Are they trying to sabotage her chances? (Are they doing three songs each next week?)
Old 05-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Wow! They sure picked a sucky song for Haley, compared to the other two selections. It's an uptempo semi-angry song compared to the two ballads. Are they trying to sabotage her chances? (Are they doing three songs each next week?)
I like the song for Haley. The other two are safe, predictable and boring choices. She could have a real moment with this one. Haley has done great with two other songs dealing with the anger and devestation following the end of a relationship:

"Rolling in the Deep", and
"I Who Have Nothing"
Old 05-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #176

In any event, it will be interesting to see if she does this "softer" version:

Or the "caged animal" version:

In either case, she will have to edit a couple of "nasty" lyrics.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In any event, it will be interesting to see if she does this "softer" version

Or the "caged animal" version

In either case, she will have to edit a couple of "nasty" lyrics.
I'd vote for the "caged animal" version The "nasty" lyrics aren't a problem. Crystal Bowersox sang this song plus "Ironic" with Alanis Morrisette on the finale last year. I did laugh when I heard the lyric changed to "down with you to the theatre", but otherwise, it worked out pretty good:
Old 05-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #178

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have to admit that I would have liked Scotty or Haley to go. Lauren really showed well. Who knew! It has been a great season with many stars in the making...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wow! They sure picked a sucky song for Haley, compared to the other two selections. It's an uptempo semi-angry song compared to the two ballads. Are they trying to sabotage her chances?
That's the first thing I thought when I saw that. I can see it now, Randy will be all, "For me, for you, that wasn't the best song" and Haley will be all, "you made me sing it!", with that exasperated look on her face. It's not really a song that shows off what she does best, so it seems like a set up to me...
Old 05-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
That's the first thing I thought when I saw that. I can see it now, Randy will be all, "For me, for you, that wasn't the best song" and Haley will be all, "you made me sing it!", with that exasperated look on her face. It's not really a song that shows off what she does best, so it seems like a set up to me...
Really??

I guess i'm on Purron's camp on this one. Haley seems to do best when she shows her angry side. I am looking forward to it.