Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #21

Definitely go for the new car, not as a gift but a necessity.

The alternative is: Wait until the AC goes, and/or the "rattling" is something bad and she's left stranded one day. Repairs to either will far exceed any trade in value she's got baked into that great deal.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I understand the anxiety.
The day I pulled out of the company parking lot for the last time the Check Engine light came on. $3000 a year baked into budget for a car, so I knew the money was okay. But it didn't feel like the money was ok
Looks like she got a good price for a good little car.
Don't say a word other than asking if she'd like you to go to the bank for the certified check or if she'd rather do it herself.
Happy wife, happy life. $18k is cheap happiness.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have you check the Accident Statistics on the Kia Soul? I would.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Have you check the Accident Statics on the Kia Soul? I would.
I'm sure the Kia Soul has very few accidents while Static. Most usually occur while moving.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
SWMBO has spoken, and she's found a good deal. I'd buy it. "If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!"]
Just the fact that she did all the negotiating at the dealer would make me happy enough to write a check on the spot
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
So DW wants a new car , we look at cars . She has a 2008 Kia 136000 miles . The only problem is the AC is starting to go bad and the car is rattling .

She wants a Kia Soul , you have all heard it ....I have not had a new ...new car in years .
My guess is spending the money now is much, much easier than the pain felt if her current car gives out during a rain storm and it takes 3 hours for AAA to respond...
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #27

Sorry Aerides, didn't mean to double up.....just skipped ahead in the thread before responding....

Must be great minds thinking alike.....

did that work
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF63 View Post
Wife happy equals a happy life.

At least she not asking for a Jaguar or something like that, any way you can not take it with you so enjoy the new toy.
My retirement car was a Jaguar XK8 convertible. And we had just bought a Lexus IS too. But we still have them 9 years later.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #29

If dropping a chunk of cash is an issue why not lease it?

With a selling price around $18k the monthly lease payment (zero down) should be in the $200s.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Did she contribute to the household finances? Then she gets to say what kind of car she wants, and when she wants it. I hate the idea of treating a woman like she is 16 years old and her husband "allows" her to get a car. Edit: I would feel the same way about a wife "allowing" her husband to buy something he wants.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #31

So - - - lemme get this straight. Your DW, identifies a car she wants, exact model, etc. She goes to the dealer & negotiates what looks like a reasonable OTD price on an inexpensive compact car. Now, because you're retired, saying, "Sorry darling, we just can't afford such frivolous toys," is REALLY A THING?? Buddy, you've got more guts than a damn slaughterhouse!!!

Cowboy up and let her buy the car.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #32

I have to say I'm in the "buy the new car" camp. Hey, it's not like she's wanting a new Caddy Esplanade! And with 136k miles on the old car I'd be concerned about my DW driving around in a car with possible reliability issues.

As far as the money flying out, when we retired 16 years ago within six months we bought a brand new house, a brand new Buick for DW, and a brand new GMC 4WD pickup truck for me. Talk about negative cash flow, yikes! But all were long-planned purchases and the timing just worked out that way. We still have the house and the pickup but the Buick has since been replaced with a Honda Accord.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #33

I will agree with others here - let her have that car.

1. We've rented the Kia Soul while on vacation a couple times and it is a good/fun car.

2. She's had the current car (another inexpensive Kia) for 10 years, 100k+ miles - so it's done it's duty. Sell it for $500, either to the dealer or through eBay or local classified. Maybe you can get a bit more.

3. If wife is happy, you'll be happy. End of story.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I'd add - if you don't think you can afford a Kia Soul, and didn't anticipate replacing a 10-year old car with 136,000 miles on it sometime soon, there could be an issue with the plan.
+1. DW drives a Kia Soul. She loves it. Zero %

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I'm half way thinking about a new one. I have been planning for a year end model next year but recently got big bonus points on my GM credit card. They do this about once a year but its much larger than normal. Got a salesman buddy keeping his eye out for a 2018 Traverse. If he can get me a deal on one along with my card discount, I might bite. If not.....will stick to orginal plan.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
So DW wants a new car , we look at cars . She has a 2008 Kia 136000 miles . The only problem is the AC is starting to go bad and the car is rattling .

She wants a Kia Soul , you have all heard it ....I have not had a new ...new car in years . She works a deal 17,500 + ttl the list price is 22490.00 the car is two tone white with a red roof .

She says she wants it as her retirement gift Uhhhh

Is it right to go this route immediately after retirement ? With so many nickel dime items hitting us it seems like money is flying out . Friends have told us the first year of retirement is brutal
That seems like a good deal she's brokered. Maybe cut out the yearly trip to Amsterdam and Key West to pay for the car.
I am not retired. I wonder more about you being nickled and dimed and why your friends tell you first year of retirement is brutal. Didn't they/you plan a budget for retirement? Why is retirement brutal?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I bought myself a new car before retiring. I could easily afford it. The prior one was pretty old too. I switched to an SUV from a commuter car in anticipation of a big change in lifestyle.
I missed planning for an SUV vs. our current coupe (30k miles) as we grow older. We shall see in a few years.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We purchased a new car right before I retired, so in similar situation.

Key reason is that we wanted a safe, reliable car in our retirement. We splurged for advanced safety stuff - like blind spot warning, auto breaking, HID lights. As we have gotten older and new focus on healthy living in our retirement, I am VERY glad we splurged for these items. And the sunroof was nice too

Kannon
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
That seems like a good deal she's brokered. Maybe cut out the yearly trip to Amsterdam and Key West to pay for the car.
I am not retired. I wonder more about you being nickled and dimed and why your friends tell you first year of retirement is brutal. Didn't they/you plan a budget for retirement? Why is retirement brutal?
Nope. Not brutal. If one has a solid retirement plan (plan A , B,C, etc).

Now, if a sub $20K car decision turns your word upside down, then maybe retirement wasn't the best decision. Mentally, it's a change that can be tough to adapt to, as one no longer adds to nest egg, but starts cracking eggs.

OP alluded to the point that it was just tough emotionally. Let's assume that's the situation.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
So - - - lemme get this straight. Your DW, identifies a car she wants, exact model, etc. She goes to the dealer & negotiates what looks like a reasonable OTD price on an inexpensive compact car. Now, because you're retired, saying, "Sorry darling, we just can't afford such frivolous toys," is REALLY A THING?? Buddy, you've got more guts than a damn slaughterhouse!!!

Cowboy up and let her buy the car.
A divorce is a lot more than 18,000.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote