Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Oil Change (A Little Long) Wife Sent to me, she thought it was cute
Old 03-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know if I should say this. *I used to work for a large now hyphenated oil company. *I saw a research report that analyzed the maintenance history of NY City taxi cabs. *One group changed their oil filter and oil every 5K miles. *The other group changed their filter and added oil as necessary. *There were no statistical differences between the cabs maintenance cost in the first 100K miles.

I need to add that I change my oil and filter when the "change oil light" comes on.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps divining this story a little would help.

When one changes ones oil filter, you get a fresh quart or so of oil. Out of most engines. Little four bangers might only get half a quart, plus another few ounces that drips out.

And I've never had an engine, up to 200,000 miles of service, that needed more than a half a quart added between six month oil changes.

I'm suspecting some of these "I never change my oil!" deals involve putting a quart or two in every thousand miles or two.

Bottom line is, after you've partially worn out the rings and valve seals, you're smoking your oil change out the tailpipe and adding in fresh at about the same rate. Difference being internal friction, heat, engine life span and gas mileage.

Not a very good thrift idea, unless you swap cars every few years or are leasing for 3.

There is an "old guys" mindset around changing the filter and adding oil to their 1930's and 40's cars. Pretty much the same thing...the oil filters of older cars held a quart or more, and they smoked off a quart every thousand miles or so.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote