Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No plans on complaining to Mobil, as this guy will be out of business this time next year.
I think you should report this to prevent others from being victimized.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Mine dosen't - it just leaks out the bottom, along with what the engine burns ...
Don't even worry about the filter, since the oil is rarely recirculated...
Add another quart every so often, and don't worry about ever taking it to JiffyLube.
In the submarine force we called that "feed & bleed". We were usually referring to fluid-recirculation systems, not the crew.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

So what was the difference b/w the conventional, super and super1 oil? I assume the super1 was synthetic. What was the dif. b/w the first two?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
So what was the difference b/w the conventional, super and super1 oil? I assume the super1 was synthetic. What was the dif. b/w the first two?
Probably conventional = regular (dino oil)
super = semi synthetic blend of sythetic and dino oil
super1 = full synthetic

That's my guess anyhow.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Mine dosen't - it just leaks out the bottom, along with what the engine burns ...

Don't even worry about the filter, since the oil is rarely recirculated...

Add another quart every so often, and don't worry about ever taking it to JiffyLube.
Bwahaha! Yes, I used to own a Small British Sportscar. I'd regularly pull into a gas station to check the fuel level with the dipstick and fill the oil, and of course check the glass bowl on the fuel pump for water.

Other weekly maintenance items included rebuilding and rebalancing the twin SU carburetors, which otherwise developed sticky pistons and gum on the needles.

Quarterly maintenance included pulling the engine and transmission, degreasing the clutch assembly and replacing the oil-soaked clutch, and so on.

Great for road trips! Spare engine and drive train included. Must see...
Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These places are using the same tactic restaurants use. Sell up. This week took my car in for oil change, tech said I needed power steering and coolant replaced(based on miles), as well as my cabin air filter and wind shield wipers. All told would have added approx $175 to the cost of my oil change. My fluids had been replaced less than 15k miles earlier. I will change my wiper blades though.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I will change my wiper blades though.
Lately I've been blowing that off for five years or until after I get caught in a heavy rainstorm, whichever happens first.

Haven't been able to tell a significant difference.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have two vehicles, a Cadillac that needs synthetic oil and a Chevrolet that doesn't. I always get my units serviced at the dealer, they'll do what the manufacturer specs require.....no problem. And, basic oil change, about 29 bucks for the Chev, More expensive for the escalade, 69 bucks. Why? they want to sell me my next car.

I haven't had a hassle, yet. And, they wash the car if I have time.....no charge.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #29

I have a 2010 Toyota Camry with a 4 cyl. For 2010 Toyota change the oil to synthetic and I must use 0W20. I buy Mobil 1 in this weight and change the oil myself. They call for a change every 10K or 1 year. I do it more often as I think that's too long for oil. Although synthetic is not supposed to break down. It also says in the manual that if I use any other type of oil it will, not may damage the engine.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #30

I suggest you learn how to change your oil. It is one of the simplest forms of auto maintenance and then you'll know the job was done correctly not to mention it will cost 50-80% less than they charge you. My oil change costs me $12 for 4 quarts of regular oil and a filter.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, changing my own oil is not so much a cost saving measure as a means of keeping my blood pressure down and for peace of mind. No upsell to the "power flush", unneeded PCV valve, R&R the air in the tires, etc.

The problem is the dang location of the oil filters on many cars. It's often way in back on the transverse-mounted engine. We're shopping for a new car for DW now, and the sales folks (mostly about 20 YO) think it very strange when a customer wants to know where the oil filter is located, or opens the hood looking at that, access to spark plugs, etc.

If we like a car that happens to have one of these inaccessible oil filters, I'll probably add a remote filter mount right on the firewall way up high. And turn it gasket-up so it doesn't spill oil when I remove it and so I can carry a little more oil in the system.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #32

My wife knows something about auto mechanics, but it's all a complete mystery to me. I would certainly never undertake to do an oil change. Our strategy has been to go from garage to garage, when we have a problem, until we hit what I would call a "confidence builder". Last year, our brakes failed, and our current garage told us they'd charge us less than $100 for the $400 job, since 3 years previous we'd had them work on our brakes (which I had not recalled), and they guaranteed their work. That was a confidence builder. Hey, I'm theirs for life, now, unless they do something awful and obvious to cheat me.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Bwahaha! Yes, I used to own a Small British Sportscar. I'd regularly pull into a gas station to check the fuel level with the dipstick and fill the oil, and of course check the glass bowl on the fuel pump for water.

Other weekly maintenance items included rebuilding and rebalancing the twin SU carburetors, which otherwise developed sticky pistons and gum on the needles.

Quarterly maintenance included pulling the engine and transmission, degreasing the clutch assembly and replacing the oil-soaked clutch, and so on.

Great for road trips! Spare engine and drive train included. Must see...
You had a TR-6 too? I kept a case of the oil in the trunk. Don't forget greasing the splines on the knockoff hubs about every 300 miles and tracking down an electrical short at least monthly.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You had a TR-6 too? I kept a case of the oil in the trunk. Don't forget greasing the splines on the knockoff hubs about every 300 miles and tracking down an electrical short at least monthly.
You had an XKE too? Three side-draft carbs to synchronize and rear disk brakes (located next to the differential and directly beneath the fuel tank) that dragged and glowed cherry-red. Drop the rear end to change out the disks. Woo-hoo!

But, the most beautiful car I'll ever own.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like they tried to scare you into going for Super1. You could give a negative review to a place like the local yellow pages online. That way others could see that they aren't on the up and up with their way of doing business.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I suggest you learn how to change your oil. It is one of the simplest forms of auto maintenance and then you'll know the job was done correctly not to mention it will cost 50-80% less than they charge you. My oil change costs me $12 for 4 quarts of regular oil and a filter.
I agree, change it yourself if you want it done right. In over 40 years of car ownership, I've never paid anyone to change my oil. And 5 quarts - what both my current cars take - of full synthetic (M1) and a good filter costs me about $35. And, as long as you have someplace to dispose of the old oil, it will take less time if you do it yourself.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...and rear disk brakes (located next to the differential and directly beneath the fuel tank) that dragged and glowed cherry-red.
I bet the bright glow from your rear end (I'm referring to the car) made it easy for the hot chicks to find you during Saturday-night cruising...

Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I bet the bright glow from your rear end (I'm referring to the car) made it easy for the hot chicks to find you during Saturday-night cruising...
Or they could find me by following the leaking brake fluid.

It was a magnet. And the breakdowns in the wilderness were totally believable and legit!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, changing my own oil is not so much a cost saving measure as a means of keeping my blood pressure down and for peace of mind. No upsell to the "power flush", unneeded PCV valve, R&R the air in the tires, etc.

The problem is the dang location of the oil filters on many cars. It's often way in back on the transverse-mounted engine. We're shopping for a new car for DW now, and the sales folks (mostly about 20 YO) think it very strange when a customer wants to know where the oil filter is located, or opens the hood looking at that, access to spark plugs, etc.

If we like a car that happens to have one of these inaccessible oil filters, I'll probably add a remote filter mount right on the firewall way up high. And turn it gasket-up so it doesn't spill oil when I remove it and so I can carry a little more oil in the system.
+1 - learned how to change my oil when in college (from one of those former Navy types who was an engineer) - don't do it so much now, but every now and then like to see where I'd have to go to change the oil and filter

Best story for me - we had a Fiat 125 and of course spent lots of time in the Auto Hobby shop....one time a guy came in with a VW bug - dropped the engine, replaced the head gasket and then zipped it right back up in less than 3 hours - we were still fiddling around with the carburetor leaflets....I was amazed.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's what they did before the age of car neon underlighting ...