Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After many years of changing my vehicles oil by crawling under the car I finally got to the point about 4-5 years ago when my aching back said we were done with that procedure. I got a lifetime oil change plan for $400 with my next vehicle purchase (4 changes a year or every 3,000 miles) and so far seems to be working OK. The only complain is that it takes over an hour to get it done but what the heck, I'm retired and that way I can go look at all the shiny new cars while they do the oil change.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Always changed my own until a few years ago but now just pay a local shop for the one or two oil changes a year. But to stay on topic, I would store all of the oil change gear in the garage under a work bench (back when I had a house/garage).

Old 09-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'll call it one of my indicators of wealth to pay someone to change my oil. Crawling under the car and dealing with oil and grease? I'll pass. I think I may actually still have my ramps, but getting up them and not going over, alone, was never that fun and I'd probably do some damage going off of them one of these days.
I'm one that doesn't want anyone to do anything for me that I can do myself. I'm my happiest when I'm good and greasy--and when my mechanical exploits work like planned.

It's almost a sort of artistry. It's not all about saving money as vehicle maintenance is enjoyable.

I also do professional quality electrical work, plumbing and ceramic tile work. I do draw the line on climbing tall ladders, as I once broke a leg and have no more falls left in me.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was a kid, I worked in a lawnmower shop where we stored oily rags in a special metal container due to fire danger.
We had one of those in the gas station where I worked too. One of the lasting impressions I learned there was the danger of piling up oily rags. At the end of the shift one of my tasks was to make sure all of them were in the metal can. I found a pile of them and when I grabbed a bunch of them I was astonished that the middle of the pile was almost hot enough to burn my hand. Okay, lesson learned!

Back to the original topic I just used paper towels on my oil changes and threw them out with the trash, making sure that the plastic bag they were in was tied off airtight.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I'm one that doesn't want anyone to do anything for me that I can do myself. I'm my happiest when I'm good and greasy--and when my mechanical exploits work like planned.

It's almost a sort of artistry. It's not all about saving money as vehicle maintenance is enjoyable.

I also do professional quality electrical work, plumbing and ceramic tile work. I do draw the line on climbing tall ladders, as I once broke a leg and have no more falls left in me.
I get that, and I only responded because you said you couldn't believe more people don't change their own. Not sure whether you understand that a lot of people don't enjoy it and see muck, not artistry.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
AFAIK, linseed oil and other wood polish/preserving type oils are 'drying oils'. In the process of drying, they are oxidizing, and that is just a slow combustion process. Heat is developed as they dry. That is why they can self-combust.

But car oil won't dry, so I don't think it will generate its own heat, but it is flammable, so you should still be careful with it.

-ERD50
This.

But I still would not store oily rags, even if it is motor oil. Just not a good idea. You just never know.

I had a family member almost burn down their house by grouping together a few rags after using a water seal kind of product. The smoke detector saved them and the house. But they lost the floor.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
AFAIK, linseed oil and other wood polish/preserving type oils are 'drying oils'. In the process of drying, they are oxidizing, and that is just a slow combustion process. Heat is developed as they dry. That is why they can self-combust.

But car oil won't dry, so I don't think it will generate its own heat, but it is flammable, so you should still be careful with it.

-ERD50
Correct, petroleum products do not have the problem. Yes they are a flammability hazard if they get a spark or flame, but they will not spontaneously combust.

On my own vehicles I just use paper towels and throw them away in trash, and then collect used oil in a 5 gal can that gets dumped into recycling bin when full.

An acquaintance with an oil-burning heat stove burns all of his, and even throws the used filters in and burns out the filter, leaving just the steel shell. He has no waste.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Did you need your drain plug threads stripped? Or maybe the crankcase over filled?
Or maybe I wanted to see if they would tighten the oil filter well enough so it wouldn't leak. I understand that happens a lot with those guys. Trust me when I say, my oil filters never leak once I put them on. A bad habit but I tend to over-tighten "most" everything.

Thinking back, I seem to remember the only reason I went there that one time was back in the days when I lived in the big city, and didn't have my lift rack and it was below freezing outside. I really don't like working with hand tools in below freezing weather. Not a problem anymore. My primary work area can be fully closed off and has a good heater for cold weather and swamp cooler for hot weather.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

i've changed my own oil since the beginning until 2012 when I bought a miata. my steel ramps didn't work so i started with a lube joint. With a coupon it coast me $5 more than doin it myself. but now...got to take the vette to the dealer for the oil change. my first 3 are free--7 qts mobile one plus additional CORVETTE charges
Old 09-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
my first 3 are free--7 qts mobile one plus additional CORVETTE charges
What is a "CORVETTE" charge?

"You own a Corvette so you must be rich so we're gonna charge you more just for the heck of it?"
Old 09-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

"You own a Corvette so you must be rich so we're gonna charge you more just for the heck of it?"
C4 vettes are very affordable right now - you can get a really nice one for under 10K. Heck, right now I'm looking at a 2004 Z06 for $20K

People are even doing "rat rod" builds out of c4s now

I stay away from mobil1 myself - I use eneos
Old 09-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
I burn the oil rags in my fire bin. Better to return CO2 to trees for cleaning up rather than leaching back oil into ground water. The old oil gets recycled at a local auto part store. By the way, I have Fumoto drain valve on all my vehicles. Easy to drain and no more stripped threads on the oil pan!!
+1, Fumoto valve. Been using on all my vehicles for over 20+ years.
(ball/valve, replaces oil plug). Makes draining the oil a snap.

Also, car ramps, why? I just drive my car parallel to the driveway. And put
the front right tire on the curb. Raises the car just enough so I can remove
the oil filter and open the Fumoto valve.