Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every 10k. Prius with synthetic "oil"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I'm a bit conservative and will change synthetic oil and filter every 8000 miles instead of 10,000. Or every 10 months. Whichever comes first.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The second part of the story... Ya gotta love this!!!... Monday at 9AM, she drove to the Lincoln dealer... Without even checking... he sold her a $95 new battery... but Gee!... free installation!
Well, gee, everyone needs a retirement plan. Now we know what that dealer's is....
Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
to: aja8888... re your post #30...

Great reply... 100%
+1

I learned a lot, even though I hope never to have change the oil again. The few times I changed the oil myself it took a couple hours but my mechanically inclined friend did spend 20 or 30 minute.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:17 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I used to regularly change my own oil for many years. Stopped doing that about 5-10 years ago because I can have the local dealer do it for $23 or so and avoid the mess and effort (minor as it is).

I usually change mine every 5,000 miles or twice a year, somewhere between the owner's manual recommendation and the 3,000 miles dealers recommend.

I did have a discussion with a dealer on the last new car I bought. The manual said 7.500 and they were suggesting 3,000. Their spiel was since the area we live in is a bit hilly that it fell under the owner's manual's severe service guidelines - I told them straight up that I thought it was just bullsh*t to pad their wallets at the expense of their customers. For some reason that I can't explain, they didn't like my interpretation of their motives.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I used to regularly change my own oil for many years. Stopped doing that about 5-10 years ago because I can have the local dealer do it for $23 or so and avoid the mess and effort (minor as it is).

I usually change mine every 5,000 miles or twice a year, somewhere between the owner's manual recommendation and the 3,000 miles dealers recommend.

I did have a discussion with a dealer on the last new car I bought. The manual said 7.500 and they were suggesting 3,000. Their spiel was since the area we live in is a bit hilly that it fell under the owner's manual's severe service guidelines - I told them straight up that I thought it was just bullsh*t to pad their wallets at the expense of their customers. For some reason that I can't explain, they didn't like my interpretation of their motives.
From a dealer's perspective, they assume we are all idiots and know nothing about cars and required maintenance. They probably also assume, that if you knew the "game", you wouldn't go there in the first place. You surprised them!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
From a dealer's perspective, they assume we are all idiots and know nothing about cars and required maintenance.
I can't really blame them. When I first started working in a gas station in HS I was astonished at the number of people who regarded what went on under the hood as "black magic". They knew it needed gas and oil, but beyond that they had no idea and no interest.

That gas station job was my introduction to working with the general public. From the dealer's perspective they are in fact all idiots.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I can't really blame them. When I first started working in a gas station in HS I was astonished at the number of people who regarded what went on under the hood as "black magic". They knew it needed gas and oil, but beyond that they had no idea and no interest.

That gas station job was my introduction to working with the general public. From the dealer's perspective they are in fact all idiots.
The more I think about this, instead of working as an engineer throughout my career, I should have just opened up a Jiffy Lube and sold premature oil and filter changes.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

When I picked up my new Acura, the salesman insisted that I should ignore the oil minder and bring it in every 3500 miles for oil change. This was the same salesman who put me in the car with absolutely no explanation of the car's features and said "come back in if you have any questions". I live 1.5 hours from the dealer. I have to drive a half hour longer, but I no longer go to the original dealership. My service guy at the new place said that there is absolutely no need to change the oil at 3500 mile intervals - he said just pay attention to the oil minder. In case anybody thinks it's crazy to drive 2 hours to get my oil changed, I live in a very rural area, and the oil change is my excuse to get back to civilization if only for a few hours.....
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing View Post
When I picked up my new Acura, the salesman insisted that I should ignore the oil minder and bring it in every 3500 miles for oil change. This was the same salesman who put me in the car with absolutely no explanation of the car's features and said "come back in if you have any questions". I live 1.5 hours from the dealer. I have to drive a half hour longer, but I no longer go to the original dealership. My service guy at the new place said that there is absolutely no need to change the oil at 3500 mile intervals - he said just pay attention to the oil minder. In case anybody thinks it's crazy to drive 2 hours to get my oil changed, I live in a very rural area, and the oil change is my excuse to get back to civilization if only for a few hours.....
Not crazy, some of us drive two hours just to get away from civilization.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

'13 Camry: 10K Synthetic {I've only got 8K on it, but I'm sure it has a reminder}

'05 Prius: 5K Conventional {DW's car and she puts about 150 miles a week on it. But she will ignore the reminder until I see it and schedule the service}

'98 Tacoma: 5K Conventional {I used to drive the truck to work, but since I got the Camry it is lucky to get 50 miles a month. I've been 500 miles shy of the mileage on the little sticker on the windshield forever it seems. I will most likely have the oil changed once a year from here on out}
Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still change my own. Cost is only few $ since stock on oil and filters during promos, rebates and sale. Have a stash of oil/filters that have been gotten for free mostly. I do annual changes but average less than 5k miles/year.

Some links, oil change intervals Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com

You can your oil analyzed for a few $$, can tell you how your change interval fits your driving habits What Does Your Engine Oil Tell You? - Edmunds.com

Oil analysis site Blackstone Labs

Bob the oil guy site was mentioned, great site for automotive stuff

The petroleum quality institute is another good site, The Petroleum Quality Institute of America
They periodically test and evaluate brand and off brand oils with some interesting results.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
2010 Toyota Camry SE - just passed 100,000 miles. Gets synthetic oil & filter changed every 10k miles.

2007 Toyota Camry LE - getting close to 100,000 miles. Gets non-synthetic oil & filter changed every 5k miles.

So far, so good.
2006 Camry 4 cylinder 248,000 miles. changed every time the light comes on for maintenance. Now use a high mileage blend of synthetic and non-synthetic. Puffs on startup after sitting for 12 hours or more.